The Ice House Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Ocean Sands Hotel(Enniscrone)
1,412 results
All reviewshot tubthe riverchill spaon arrivalfloor to ceiling windowsriverside suiterelaxation roombartra suiteheritage suitespa treatmentsspa areaglass walloutdoor saunavoya productswooden bathmoy suitesteam room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

When we were shown to our room in the Ice House , my boyfriend turned to me and asked how do I find out about these places and that said it all. We were both blown away by the beauty of the view and the room (on top floor).we had a lovely night away for my birthday (a milestone one) arriving on a Thursday towards the end of February. I had spoken to Lisa in reception before my visit to ask for a nice room for my birthday and I found her very welcoming which was a great start to our night away.food in restaurant gorgeous.hot tubs lovely .Breakfast in bed with a happy birthday brownie and lighted candle on tray lovely touch.the girls in the spa very friendly, had a warm pebble massage there, would recommend my shoulders were so relaxed the next day after it.I was given a glass of bubbly by one of the girls in the spa when they found out it was by birthday which was a nice gesture.I was also offered a herbal tea the next day which I thought again was thoughtful while I was waiting in the relaxation room for himself who was getting a massage . He said the steam room was one of the best he was in.had a wonderful night away thanks for the memories the Ice House hotel staff.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Maymaggiee
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Maymaggiee,

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views regarding your recent visit to the Ice House; they are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel.

I am delighted that played a part in celebrating your "Milestone" birthday!! Belated congratulations.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was given a two night stay in this hotel as a present and after viewing the hotels website I was really looking forward to the promise of the luxury that lay ahead. Unfortunately it was not to be.
When we arrived we were given champagne which was great. We then went to our room "the clam" although it took some time to find. Even though the hotel is quiet small the layout is slightly confusing.
From the hotel website I believed that the USP of this hotel was its floor to ceiling views over the river. Unfortunately we were not able to enjoy the views as we were on the ground floor people were constantly passing the window.
On Valentines day we had to keep the curtains closed for the day as there was a van parked outside our window for most of the day as a number of men appeared to be working on the sewage system. When i did venture outside our room window I found myself next to stacks of kegs and bottles. The room itself felt very run down. The furniture was tired and chipped while the walls could do with a fresh lick of paint and some repair to the roof needed. The walls in the rooms are very thin too. At times it felt like we were sharing a room with the couple next door and above us.
The food we had over our stay here was excellent. The only downside was it tended to be slow to come out of the kitchen but was always worth the wait. The staff in the restaurant were excellent and very friendly. We had breakfast in our room one morning which was lovely and hot but again would have been nicer if we could have drawn the curtains to enjoy the view as well.
While the staff and the food at the The Ice House were excellent I really came away feeling very disappointed as I feel that the product the management promised on the website was not delivered upon especially for the price that they are charging.

Room Tip: Try not to be placed in a room on the ground floor as you may not be able to keep the curtains open with the amount of foot fall outside the window.
2  Thank wcork83
ICEHOUSETEAM, General Manager at The Ice House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear wcork83,

I would like to extend my sincere personal apologies for the inconvenience caused during your recent stay with us.

Our sincere thanks for taking the time to air your views both good and of course not so good.They are very much appreciated by everyone here at the Hotel.

As mentioned in previous responces, we have started work on a maintenance program throughout the Hotel which includes the issues raised in your review.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Positives
- Stunning natural setting overlooking the river.
- Room was clean.
- Evening meal in main restaurant and breakfast were delicious, service was good and food was served hot.
- Staff in general were friendly and attentive except for my wife’s spa therapist who never smiled, barely spoke and did not bother to introduce herself.

Negatives
- Room furniture was badly scuffed, scraped and chipped and needed to be replaced.
Walls and ceilings in our room and around the hotel were badly marked and had cracks.
The whole hotel needed to be repainted. This gave the impression of a rather poor airport hotel rather than a luxurious one.
- Decor of room was cold, bland and felt unfinished.
- We were given a lower level room. This meant that staff and other hotel guests walked directly outside our room and peered inside. There was no privacy and we therefore kept our net curtain drawn at all times and could not enjoy the view of the river. This was the primary purpose of staying at this hotel

Minor Points
- Rear of hotel looked onto a house estate.
- Car parking was along a main road and was extremely limited.
- The relaxation room in the spa was too small. As there were only four beds which were frequently full and therefore some hotel guests could not use this room.
- There are very few signs around the hotel. We frequently had to ask for directions even though the hotel itself is quite small.

Verdict
- A tired and mediocre hotel which was too expensive for the standard provided. We would not recommend a stay nor would we return. The hotel’s food was delicious but you can stay in much nicer hotels for less.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Catcherblock

Dear Catcherblock,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience we caused.
Your comments were discussed at length and measures taken in order to maintain the high quality level of service and attention to detail we strive to offer all our guests.

We are also currently working on a maintenance program throughout the Hotel over the coming weeks most of which include other issues raised in your review.

Hopefully it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina as the Journey will be worth it.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just stayed on Saturday night we got the last room having booked it on Saturday morning .We had a really relaxing time and a super dinner.The staff were friendly,efficient and polite,we will be back even though it is a long trip to ballina

Dear David L

As you have indicated we hope it will not be to long before your return visit to Ballina,
"We're Worth It"

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here on the 23rd and 24th Feb 2013. When we arrived we were greeted with a glass of bubbly which was lovely. Our bags were taken to our room while we sipped on the bubbly which was just as well as it was a bit of a trek down stairs with bags to the room. The views from the hotel are stunning and anyone into bird watching could spend hours watching a multitude of different birds fishing the river for dinner. The walls in the bedrooms are wafer thin you can actually hear conversations through the walls. We ate in the restaurant on the first night and the food was really delicious it looked stunning on the plate and tasted beautiful. The staff are so friendly, helpful and welcoming. We visited the spa the following morning and I was a little disappointed. There are only 2 outdoor tubs and a steam room, the sauna was not working. I wouldn't suggest coming for the spa. I would suggest heading out to Enniscrone as the beach out there is lovely for a walk and we found a lovely pub called Keanes down the road with lively locals where the Guinness was really good. The bar in the hotel is dead and very expensive. All in all had a lovely stay but the spa was a let down.

1  Thank TT310710

Dear TT310710,

I am vey pleased to inform you that we are installing a New Outdoor Sauna and along with repair work carried out on our Hot Tubs, an extention to our Relaxation Suite, this will enhance the Spa experience for all our guests.