“Downhill for a business trip”
Review of Twin Trees Hotel

Twin Trees Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 11, 2013

So I was sent to Ballina for work and booked into the Downhill.

I arrived on the Bus Eireann coach [route 22 from Dublin via the Airport] and found that the train station is next door to the coach station. The hotel is on the outskirts of town, and would be a problem for walking with luggage or for the infirm. I took a taxi which costs about €6.

The hotel is set in its own grounds with ample car parking and a lovely river just across the road. Check-in was quick and the receptionist pleasent. My room was overlooking the aforementioned grounds and was large with plenty of space. The bathroom/toilet was clean and neat with both shower cubicle and a bath. The bedroom was clean but the carpet, being beige, showed signs of stains. The TV had about 10 channels and the room was supplied with tea/coffee and ironing board. The bed was comfortable although a little on the firm side which didn't bother me.

There is a gym/swimming pool attached which is free to hotel guests. There are weights and a good selection of cardio machines for use upstairs. Downstairs there is a space for exercises and during my visit a number of local members were doing aerobics to music there. The pool is not too big and difficult to swim lengths as it is oval shaped. There is a paddling pool for small children. For relaxation after a workout there is a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi in the pool area. One downside to the pool area, especially for the sauna users, is the lack of a drinking fountain - so bring a bottle of water.

Dinner was in the bar. There seemed to be very few guests in the hotel so I reckon it made sense to fed the guests in the bar to reduce costs. The menu had a good selection of starters and mains and these were well varied to cater for different tastes. The food was good and welcome after the workout and sauna! I had the Guinness which was well served too!

Breakfast was the usual affair of fruits and/or cereals with a selection of juices to start. Tea/Coffee & toast was brought out and there were other breads and scones with preserves available at the buffet. I had the fry and I'm sure I heard someone else ask for porridge. The breakfast filled me for most of the day.

Overall, the impression I had was of a well run operation but suffering somewhat from the current economic downturn and consequent lack of business. The place was very quiet save for the few locals using the gym/swim [which I was told cost €100 for 3 months] and the aerobics. The bar, where I had dinner had only three guests in. There seemed to be a conference ongoing somewhere but I didn't meet any of these people but heard them depart from the car park after I had gone to bed. I did notice an award for Best 3 star Hotel in 2012 posted.

The Downhill Hotel would be an ideal hideaway for a quiet break.

Room Tip: A room on the wing overlooking the gardens is good
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 171,956

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This hotel has an awful lot going for it. My family and I spent the long weekend at Easter at this hotel. You would know it is a family run hotel as the welcome is second to none. The staff are all very helpful and hard working. The food is very fresh and very tasty. Our children had a great time at the kids club and were made very welcome in every area of the hotel. The rooms were a good size, were warm and clean. The bathroom had a bath and a seperate shower. The leisure centre has a very well equipped gym and a warm and clean pool which, again, the kids thouroughly enjoyed. The only downside for me, as I explained to the girls on checkout, was that the foyer and bar were very cold. It is a large space and I'm sure very hard to heat and not helped by the fact that it was a bitterly cold weekend outdoors! The complimentary tea and coffee served every day in the foyer was great! We had a lovely relaxing weekend and I managed to secure my seat by the fire in the foyer every evening so I was happy enough! Thanks to the Moylett family and staff.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Last month I stayed at the Downhill for a friend's wedding and from the moment I arrived to when I went to bed at 4 am, the atmosphere was great. We had lovely food and it was piping hot which surprised us considering that there was 300 at the wedding. The staff worked extremely hard to make the day enjoyable for everybody. I would highly recommend this hotel as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for Mothers Day weekend March 2013, nice hotel quiet. The receptionist was extremely helpfull that weekend, one down side was the steam room and sauna was out of order, the hotel its self has still retained some of orignal features from 1947, which is quirky, ie old phones etc, the pool staff are very helpfull especially if you have kids staying, (we arrived after the kids slot for the pool, but still allowed us in). The food was very nice, but the restaurant is a little dark maybe, which is nice and romantic, their is ample car-parking and a nice tree lined walk to the village with a waterfall. Incidently you can view the waterfall in the dinning room, when you are having your breakfast. Some of the corridors had a musty smell in them on the way to the leisure center. However the staff are very nice especially the receptionist that weekend, very good value for money.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent a family easter weekend at the downhill house hotel and everything from the room, food, staff & swimming pool were excellent. The breakfast in the morning was top quality and the staff couldn't have made our stay more comfortable. The view from our room was beautiful as the grounds around the house are lovely. Would definitely return to this lovely place :)

1  Thank mand1270
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here in December for a wedding. I was quite disappointed at the hotel overall. it is more a one star hotel than three star. the room was freezing cold and had not been referbushied for years.luckily there was another double and single bed in the room that we could use the blankets off. there was a terrible smell of stale drink to the whole hotel like that of a grubby niteclub. the food was only mediocre. i would definitely not return to this hotel. The service at the bar was dreadful we were waiting nearly an hour for a round off drinks and then the bar girl never bothered bringing back our change. overall this hotel is a joke and needs serious renovations both on the building and the staff.

• Stayed: December 2012
Rachael M, Guest Relations Manager at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Katec16

I would like to respond to your review which appeared today April 8th - 4 months after your stay with us.

I am just sorry that I did not get to meet you on check out where I could have listened and perhaps recified some of your issues that you had with us at the time in December 2012 - I would be delighted if you could contact me on directly on my personal email rachael@downhillhotel.ie

Sincerely
Rachael Moylett

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I spent Easter weekend at the Downhill Hotel with my family and was really impressed with the service and quality of this hotel - nothing was too much trouble - Traveling with children is not easy but the staff went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay - the leisure facilities with swimming pool was a big hit !! looking forward to our next return stay here. thank you !

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Great National Hotel Ballina
#1 of 9 in Ballina
Diamond Coast Hotel
Diamond Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Enniscrone

Been to Twin Trees Hotel? Share your experiences!