“Lovely room bedding lacking had to request an extra blanket n felt awful to annoy Catherine on reception but she was so lovely a”
Review of Twin Trees Hotel

Twin Trees Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Nice room in new wing had to request blanket from catherine on reception which she brought up where if at all are the porters??Rachel no radiators on in corridor in dead cold weather lough conn room in need of repair as blackness comes through red walls door inside tatty sorry did not enjoy coldness of room as i ate breakfast evokes with some sort of green health seed or the like in scones ugh which were Brown scones at that went to pick one up to try it broke in basket dampish also coldness of corridor in height of freezing snowy weather Rachel yes we are in recession but more ppl have commented on this and no porters bar was dark n deserted when we peered in Catherine is a great ambassador for the hotel but felt disappointed overall no splenda sachets in room either just sugar no diver a throw n some blankets towels were not in great condition how an award was won is beyond me yes garden view was nice but standards could be better sorry rachel thanks for scramble egg n one slice of toast n tea but we left very very early on morn of departure for dublin good fri. morn Rachel i don't like to complain but things need to improve

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Twin Trees Hotel

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had a great time at the Downhill. Really friendly staff and good service. Also the rooms are comfortable and of a good size. I would recommend the hotel to others. Overall good value for money and very good service.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed in the Downhill Hotel recently for a mid-week break with our 3 children ages 12, 10 and 8. All I can say is if you want to have a family break then the Downhill hotel is the ideal place! From start to finish we had a fantastic time – welcomed by the wonderfully warm Moylett family personally upon arrival; given a really spacious, comfortable family room with views of the lovely gardens and ate the most traditional wonderfully tasty home-cooked food in the stunning restaurant which overlooks the river. The children’s favourite was breakfast where the staff in particular were always so keen to look after us. Children seem to be most welcome in this hotel with members of staff going out of their way to be helpful and kind. While we were able to relax in the well-equipped leisure centre and went for walks in the lovely gardens; the children were entertained by an activity camp! It could not get any better for a break away from it all in the family-run, child-friendly hotel. To be highly recommended as it is situated in Ballina, Co. Mayo near the most picturesque scenery both by sea and river. We will definitely come back again and have already recommended it to our friends.

Room Tip: Contact Rachael Moylett, one of the family and she will look after you!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Rachael M, Guest Relations Manager at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Corkconian

It was a pleasure to look after you and your family and I am truely delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass on your compliments to all the staff involved and we look forward to seeing you later in 2013 -

Thanks again, Let our Family Look after Yours,

The Moylett Family

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Cold, Shabby, unacceptable & unreasonably priced - Hotel break from hell.
The rooms are such a dissapointment and forget sleep, the walls are paper thin.
Was grateful to get home.. would not consider staying there again - complete waste of money

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank May G
Rachael M, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear May G

It is with a heavy heart that I read your comments today - I am very sorry and dismayed at your experience with us. I am also more than sorry that I did not get to meet with you as I would have liked to go over your comments in further detail - mainly who was rude & ungrateful towards you, plus perhaps I could have helped you out in some way or another.

We are a family business who value all our customers and have over 60% repeat customer business and will be celebrating 80 years in business in 2014 and are very much looking forward to the next 80 years.

(Family Member)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You won't get any gimmes here but the location and hospitality are fantastique. Try Mick's ham and cheese with mustard sandwich, simply outstanding. Great location and beautiful surroundings! Try a walk around the hotel area and you'll find peace and serenity.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tomapar
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I contacted Downhill to block book rooms for my wedding guests well ahead of my wedding date. They confirmed that they would give my guests a special rate and allocate rooms. When I called for a headcount number, I was told there were no rooms and no vacancies for the weekend of the wedding. No apologies. When I produced the emails showing the conversation and the agreement, I was basically told "tough luck". Luckily, I needed a lot of rooms and had booked some at 3 other local hotels - all who were able to handle an advance group block booking in a professional manner. One bright spot to all of this is that none of my guests need to deal with the unprofessional way I was treated!

Full disclosure - I have never stayed in Downhill House. I picked it because it looked lovely and it was convenient. It may be a great place to stay but DO NOT trust them to do any kind of wedding reservations!!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JodyEllen
Rachael M, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

RE: COLLINS - MCDONAGH WEDDING INQUIRY

Dear Jody Ellen

Thank you for taking time to write your comments on trip advisor of which I would like to respond to exactly the full facts of your booking - (which I explained to you personally by email already and I DID APOLOGIZE )

Due to the nature of my job - Marketing Manager I would take wedding inquiries plus reservation inquiries on a daily basis. All service providers be it Hotels, Guest houses or restaurants do NOT take an inquiry by email or phone as a definite booking UNLESS it is followed up by a DEPOSIT as confirmation of ones booking. I have already explained this to you and am quite horrified that you did not understand the nature of your booking, but anyway again I apologize for the misunderstanding - NO DEPOSIT = NO BOOKING.

Basically the hotel was NEVER booked or confirmed for your wedding in May 2013 -

Marketing Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My Fiancee and I stayed at the Downhill on the weekend of 14/2/13 to 16/2/13. The service is excellent.
Our hire car did not have a working connection for our sat-nav and the receptionist took our sat-nav home in her car in order to charge it up for us to use the next day. That's what I call service. The food was good and the scones at breakfast are to die for. We were even given a bag full to take away with us.
Comfortable rooms and a peaceful setting. Thanks Karen and all your team.
Looking forward to spending the first weekend of our honeymoon there.

Michael and Caroline

England

Room Tip: Talk to the hotel directly and they are sure to offer the best assistance.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael M, Manager at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Michael & Caroline,

Thank you for those lovely comments on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back to the "Best Three Star Hotel in Ireland" where we will have the red carpet ready and waiting for you.

It is a lovely Spring Day here in Ballina this morning and don't forget to contact us prior to your arrival where we can allocate the Best room in the house for your return visit -

Thanks again