“Rude & Ungrateful”

Twin Trees Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Cold, Shabby, unacceptable & unreasonably priced - Hotel break from hell.
The rooms are such a dissapointment and forget sleep, the walls are paper thin.
Was grateful to get home.. would not consider staying there again - complete waste of money

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank May G
Rachael M, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear May G

It is with a heavy heart that I read your comments today - I am very sorry and dismayed at your experience with us. I am also more than sorry that I did not get to meet with you as I would have liked to go over your comments in further detail - mainly who was rude & ungrateful towards you, plus perhaps I could have helped you out in some way or another.

We are a family business who value all our customers and have over 60% repeat customer business and will be celebrating 80 years in business in 2014 and are very much looking forward to the next 80 years.

Sincerely
(Family Member)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

You won't get any gimmes here but the location and hospitality are fantastique. Try Mick's ham and cheese with mustard sandwich, simply outstanding. Great location and beautiful surroundings! Try a walk around the hotel area and you'll find peace and serenity.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tomapar
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I contacted Downhill to block book rooms for my wedding guests well ahead of my wedding date. They confirmed that they would give my guests a special rate and allocate rooms. When I called for a headcount number, I was told there were no rooms and no vacancies for the weekend of the wedding. No apologies. When I produced the emails showing the conversation and the agreement, I was basically told "tough luck". Luckily, I needed a lot of rooms and had booked some at 3 other local hotels - all who were able to handle an advance group block booking in a professional manner. One bright spot to all of this is that none of my guests need to deal with the unprofessional way I was treated!

Full disclosure - I have never stayed in Downhill House. I picked it because it looked lovely and it was convenient. It may be a great place to stay but DO NOT trust them to do any kind of wedding reservations!!!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jody C
Rachael M, Director of Sales at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

RE: COLLINS - MCDONAGH WEDDING INQUIRY

Dear Jody Ellen

Thank you for taking time to write your comments on trip advisor of which I would like to respond to exactly the full facts of your booking - (which I explained to you personally by email already and I DID APOLOGIZE )

Due to the nature of my job - Marketing Manager I would take wedding inquiries plus reservation inquiries on a daily basis. All service providers be it Hotels, Guest houses or restaurants do NOT take an inquiry by email or phone as a definite booking UNLESS it is followed up by a DEPOSIT as confirmation of ones booking. I have already explained this to you and am quite horrified that you did not understand the nature of your booking, but anyway again I apologize for the misunderstanding - NO DEPOSIT = NO BOOKING.

Basically the hotel was NEVER booked or confirmed for your wedding in May 2013 -

Sincerely

Marketing Manager

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My Fiancee and I stayed at the Downhill on the weekend of 14/2/13 to 16/2/13. The service is excellent.
Our hire car did not have a working connection for our sat-nav and the receptionist took our sat-nav home in her car in order to charge it up for us to use the next day. That's what I call service. The food was good and the scones at breakfast are to die for. We were even given a bag full to take away with us.
Comfortable rooms and a peaceful setting. Thanks Karen and all your team.
Looking forward to spending the first weekend of our honeymoon there.

Michael and Caroline

England

Room Tip: Talk to the hotel directly and they are sure to offer the best assistance.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rachael M, Manager at Twin Trees Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Michael & Caroline,

Thank you for those lovely comments on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming you back to the "Best Three Star Hotel in Ireland" where we will have the red carpet ready and waiting for you.

It is a lovely Spring Day here in Ballina this morning and don't forget to contact us prior to your arrival where we can allocate the Best room in the house for your return visit -

Thanks again

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I've stayed in this hotel a few times on business and have to say was really impressed with the staff and the food was really good (recommend the fish and chips), as I had stayed a few nights I decided I wanted something different to eat and I asked the girl in the leisure centre if she could recommend anything (Avral I think was her name) she said go and have your swim and I'll put something on paper for you and I could collect it on the way back, when I returned she was gone but had left a note with details of a Chinese restaurant in the town and walking instructions to the restaurant and finished the note with enjoy your meal - I was really impressed with her attention to detail and the effort she made real customer service. The only let down was the internet Wi-Fi was poor but definitely will return.

Room Tip: If your going to be working from the room ask to make sure you have good Wi-fi coverage other than t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed for one night in the downhill house. Room was nice and spacious but was a bit dated. We had dinner booked as part of the deal, we expected to be eating in the main restaurant but instead we were brought to a small dining room...which was like sitting in someone's living room. Despite the strange dining location the meal was absolutely top class and service was brilliant. Breakfast was served in another small room, also with dated decor. Again food was A1, and service staff were very friendly. After brekkie we went to check out the leisure centre. The hallway down smelt of damp and led to an equally dated leisure centre that is in serious need of a revamp! We had a lovely swim and then checked out. Overall the hotel ticks all the boxes for a night or weekend away but could be amazing if it was just a little more modern.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived after a 5 hour trip exhausted, the owner who checked us in was ok not much of a conversationalist! Hotel was cold in the main areas but to be fair its what we expected midweek in winte. However, our room was lovely and warm, extremly clean the bed linen/towels were fresh, soft and crisp. Such a lovely touch was they had left us two KitKat bars with a little handwritten note saying to enjoy a cuppa, it was really nice after such a long journey. The decor in the lobby is beautiful and modern, bedrooms are somewhat dated but still very comfortable - maintaned and cleaned to such a high standard there really is no fault. We ordered breakfast in bed which was missing a few items (I ate my cereal with a tea spoon, coffee cup & second pot of coffee were missing from the tray) the problems were rectified after two calls to reception. My only issue with the hotel was on check out, the lady never asked us did we enjoy our stay etc... she just walked over to us put out her hand and said quite rudly "you owe me €5.00 for breakfast" to which my very honest companion replied "I actually owe you €10.00", I thought considering she was aware of the issues with the delivery of breakfast she might of at lease apologiesed firstly but she snapped it out of her hand a walked away....in my opnion a bad way to see off a paying guest. Another memeber of staff came over and had a brief chat about were we drove from and said goodbye........too late, the farewell and repeat business was ruined.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room in the newer part over looking a beautiful garden
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business