Mount Falcon Estate
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Sands Hotel(Enniscrone)
1,100 results
All reviewshawk walkdriving rangeboathole barclay pigeon shootingafternoon teawoodland lodgeself catering housesmain buildingbeautiful groundscountry house hotelcarnesalmonbar foodbeautiful hoteldeluxe roomstop classleisure centre
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently organized a trip with six friends to Ireland for golf and sightseeing. The first week we stayed at Mount Falcon's Lakeside Cottages. The cottages were perfect- very comfortable with three ensuite bedrooms that can be arranged for singles or twins. Our package included breakfast at the hotel- a wise choice as the breakfasts were fantastic and you could order virtually whatever you wanted and they would cook it for you and it held us over until dinner. I wrote constant e-mails before the trip and every one was answered quickly and courteously. The staff and hotel were superb. When you consider that you could spend a week here (sharing rooms) in high season and play two rounds each at Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses' Point for about $700 per person (using the excellent golf package from the hotel), I have a hard time imagining a better introduction to links golf for Americans or anyone else. All of my friends loved Mount Falcon and they made me look like the best trip organizer ever. Thanks to everyone at the Hotel. One of my favorite places ever.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed in the hotel recently and can't speak highly enough of the place. Room was very spacious and comfortable, food was excellent but what stood out for me was the staff. Everyone was so friendly, they couldn't do enough for us. Will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: If there is a gang going stay in the lodges.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Got an excellent deal and our package included light afternoon tea and a bottle of prosecco. Had this in the beautiful lounge, it was fab as was the service. Our deal also included an upgrade to a deluxe room subject to availability. We were a bit disappointed this wasn't available. Our room (number 3) was on the first floor overlooking the car park. Lovely room but decided we would see if we could move to one the other side of the building to avail of a nicer view. None were available but they did have a larger corner room on the second floor (room 18).

Although also looking onto the car park it was a much nicer room as it was higher up and had velux windows with beautiful views of the trees, there were also velux windows in the bathroom which was very nice as there was so much light. Would highly recommend this room, it was more private too as it was at the end of the building so noone passing by. We were offered the option of upgrading to a suite for a €100 which was a good offer. After viewing Conor's gap though we decided not to. Lovely room but actually maybe a bit too big and no nice views, also it just didnt feel very cosy to us.

The rooms are beautiful with every possible luxury. Gorgeous bathrooms with double sinks and top notch products. There were lovely bathrobes and slippers (so soft and comfortable and had the falcon motif like ob the plates at dinner etc, a nice touch). Lots of other nice little touches in the room eg magazines and free water.

What I noticed the most was the high level of cleaniness throughout the whole manor, it is spotless and so well maintained. Just beautiful including the lovely grounds. Not an easy task maintaining a building like this to such a high standard. We ate in the Kitchen restaurant and for the prices we were expecting a lot. We were not disappointed, it was excellent, the food, the wine and the service, all top notch. Had a particularly friendly waiter called Zach I think. He was so nice. Decided to try sthg different and had the guinea fowl for my main, it was delicious as was my scallop starter. Loved the dining experience, the restaurant itself is very beautiful aswell. Breakfast was lovely also, no complaints.

Overall I would highly recommend staying here. We were given a voucher of €25 to return (very nice idea) and we would certainly love to. As a youngish couple the only thing we noted is that overall there was an older demographic in the hotel in general. But there were also a good few families so I think it suits all age groups.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed with my family in Mt Falcon from the 8th to 11th August 2013 .We stayed in one of the lodges in the woods and it was fantastic.We had 6 adults and 3 grandchildren in the lodge and we had plenty of room.They are spotless clean and the service personell and all the staff in the hotel are really great people and cannot do enough for you,Breakfast in the hotel was included and this was just a 2 minute walk through the lovely woodland on this beautifull estate.There is a lovely swimming pool and spa and cycle and walking tracks on the estate,2miles of the Moy river for salmon anglers and they also have clay pidgeon shooting and archery.Food in the hotel is beautifull and we had stayed in the hotel before and will return again. WELL DONE TO ALL AT MT FALCON.

Room Tip: the wood lodges are nicer than the lake lodges but a bit more expensive.Rooms in hotel facing woods are great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having stayed at The Mount Falcon from the 7th of August until the 9th 2013, I simply have to write this review. Myself and my friend attended a "Casting for Recovery" Fly Fishing Retreat for a group of 9 ladies having experienced breast cancer diagnosis. Most of the ladies and the organisers stayed in the beautiful lakeside cottages, which were truly home from home.

However, due to my being a wheelchair user, I was kindly accommodated in room 222, which amazingly had a large bathroom with bath, separate power shower and twin sinks for my friend's sole use. As for me, there was a totally wheelchair accessible bathroom of my very own with enough room to do a tango in!!!

The sink was the perfect height, as was the mirror (rare in a wheelchair bathroom.) The toilet seat was raised and the grab rails were strong, functional AND the height of style!! The clothes hooks behind my bathroom door were wheelchair user height, as was the light switch. A red panic cord was reassuringly easily reached also. All manner of complementary toiletries were displayed along the window sill of my large sash window with views over the mature trees of Mount Falcon- "a loo with a view!"

Now for the star turn- the state of the art power shower for wheels!!! A drop down padded shower seat the size of a dining room chair (unlike the postage stamp sized seats usually in situ, suitable only for the super skinny.) We usually have to balance precariously, whilst tackling the shower head, soap, shampoo & temperature simultaneously- you know the usual sad score!!!) Not any more if you are at The Mount Falcon!!! A pair of gates that click shut and a large curtain completes this fabulous design and deserves to be christened the "wheelshower!" The good news is that this accessibility doesn't stop at the rooms.

The usual stresses and uncertainty that accompanies wheelchair travel was not part of my visit to Mount Falcon. Valerie the manager kindly allowed me to view the room the weekend before my stay commenced. The paths around the house, lake, cottages, lodges and grounds are all of the smoothest tarmac. Not a hint of the gruesome gravel that stops us in our tracks at so many venues. There is a side entrance that was perfect for my wheels, the front entrance has a couple of steps, with assistance these can be negotiated. The old part of the house ground floor was perfectly "wheelable" if you can negotiate the subtle saddle bars at the entrance to the doors, I found them not a problem.

The bar, sitting room, reception and Kitchen Restaurant were all ground floor and with wide Victorian doors of grand proportions, there was entrance space in abundance that modern buildings are sadly lacking.

There was one disabled public toilet in the corridor of the old building, which was a squeeze for my 2ft wide Panthera chair, but I managed it and I found that the best way was to reverse into it. Due to this being a listed building, no change can be made understandably. However, in the new part of the hotel there were other toilets with more modern proportions.

The new part of Mount Falcon had a large lift that took us to all floors and the Knox Suite, Aldridge Suite and other public rooms were all accessible throughout. The friendly staff were always on hand to assist throughout our stay. Nothing was too much trouble!

Fly fishing on the lake was fabulous and I found access to the lake easy in my chair as the banks were very flat, fishing is a great sport for wheelchair users with upper body use and all equipment can be hired at Mount Falcon.

The Kitchen Restaurant
Our dining experience was extraordinary throughout our stay. Locally sourced fresh ingredients; artisan cheeses, fruit, vegetables & herbs grown in the gardens at Mount Falcon. Succulent steaks, Mayo mountain lamb, Moy Salmon. Here lay the foundations for some serious spell casting by Philippe. The Magician was at work once again at Mount Falcon. Paradise found!!!

Rosie Lowe, Partry, County Mayo

Room Tip: Wheelchair rooms are 122 and 222 and for further information, the staff on reception are very helpful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends