Had an invitation to attend a party there some days ago with about 60 or so others.
The house and estate have been restored at considerable cost.
Little things, however, soon catch ones notice.
The car park is some way from the main entrance. So what you ask but remember it is in the West of Ireland where it rains and rains. I dropped my wife at the main door, drove to the car park and waited 18 minutes before I dared to make an dash for it. An evening in wet clothes is not good.
Guests arrived, photos were taken and we were then called some way upstairs to a room that soon became very, very warm.
The next point noticed was that nobody seemed to be sorting things out.
The tables were set for three courses and it was a buffet.
The staff seemed to be running late so the head waiter decided that the starter and main course should be collected at the same time and on the same plate.
The main course consisted of chicken in batter, salmon, gammon and beef.
The salmon soon ran out and although we were very close to the premier salmon river in western Europe, no more was to be had. This was to the disappointment of many.
The beef, although in some type of gravy, just missed being made into shoe leather.
Desert followed the same pattern with over baked crumble, very hard base to the lemon meringues and ice cream being the safe option.
The building is lovely, the grounds are wonderful but Mount Falcon, in the rain, is not for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mount Falcon Estate lies by the banks of The River Moy ( the most prolific wild Atlantic Salmon river in Ireland ) between Foxford and Ballina ( The Salmon Capital of Ireland ). The Estate consists of a 4 star deluxe 32 bedroom hotel, Luxury lodges, fishing for wild Atlantic Salmon on its own stretch of the river Moy, a 3 acre rainbow trout stocked lake, a School of Falconry, 100 acres of mature woodland, a 3 km walking / jogging / biking trail, an Elemis Spa and Clay pigeon shooting. The house was built in 1876 and was a wedding present from one young groom to his new wife. The Estate was originally owned by The Knox family whose ancestors are buried in the circular graveyard next to a Megalithic tomb located on the Estate. Opened in 2006 Mount Falcon was the youngest ever hotel to win The AA Hotel of the year. In 2015 the Hotel was named the best Manor House Hotel in Ireland. The Hotels 'Kitchen Restaurant' holds 2 AA Rosettes and has received numerous awards for Best Hotel Restaurant in Connaught and The Best Head Chef in Connaught, the most recent award received was in 2015 for Best Chef in Connaught(by the Good Eating Guide). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Mount Falcon Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Falcon Estate Hotel Ballina
- Mount Falcon Country Hotel
- Mount Falcon Country Ballina