“Great food,”

The Lantern Chinese Restaurant & Take Away
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Established in 1986 by Sunny & Loretta Ho, The Lantern Chinese is the oldest and best known Chinese restaurant in Ballina. Famous for it's original dishes such as Spicy Chicken Wings & Chicken Dry Hot & Spicy. The Lantern continues to offer authentic Chinese cuisine at exceptional value and great service in a cosy and relaxing environment with stunning views of the River Moy & St Muredachs Cathedral. Now offering our Early Bird Value Menu Mon-Thur - €18 2 courses with a great selection of dishes to choose from. Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Business, Special Occasion Dining, Entertaining clients, Birthdays, Hens & StagsDining options: Dinner, Reservations, Take Away, Delivery Service, Full Bar Licence,
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Have ate here a couple of time and the food is excellent, the famous chicken dry hot and spicey is as good if not better than everyone says and so are the chicken wings, that is usually what i eat here but the chicken balls are excellent to. Must say the take away is far better value than the restaurant so its always a take away i get here. That a side the food is excellent with great value for money.

TheLanternManager, Manager at The Lantern Chinese Restaurant & Take Away, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Hi Paul C,

Thank you so much for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you are a repeat customer and that you are a fan our of signature dishes Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy and Spicy Chicken Wings.

Our Super Saver Menu is available 7 days a week. Starters are €3 and mains with side are €12.50 with a large selection to choose from (including Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy and Spicy Chicken Wings) available all day Mon-Thur. Fri-Sun starters are the same price (€3) and mains with side €14.50 available 5-8pm. We also offer 10% on our A La Carte Menu prices. Our Super Saver Menu is exceptional value and very popular with customers. As you can see there is very little difference in our Take Away and Restaurant prices. We pride ourselves in offering quality food and value for money.

Thanks again for your review.

All the very best.

Regards,

Reviewed July 6, 2013

My partner and I dined here and the food was exceptional , definitely one of the best Chinese dining experience's we have had .. would recommend highly.. oh don't miss the toblerone cheesecake if it is on yum yum

Hi burtboy0101,

Thank you so much for your positive review. It was a pleasure serving you and your partner and we are delighted that you had a enjoyable experience in our restaurant. Also happy to hear that you enjoyed our homemade Toblerone cheesecake.

All the best.

Kindest regards,

The Lantern Manager.

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

While back in Ballina on work I decided to have a Chinese. I had the chicken dry hot nd spicy. When I got it it was greasy and as I ate more of the chicken it was like I was eating more nd more fat. It lacked flavour nd spicy ness. But to be fair the portion size was good.I def won't be back though.It was a let down after been recommended..

Hi Sligo_Food,

Thank you for your review. Our sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience in our restaurant. Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy is our signature dish and is one of the most popular dishes in Ballina so I am surprised and disappointed that you did not enjoy it.

With regards the grease; some oils are used in the cooking of this dish so there is an element of oil on this dish, however it has never been described as "greasy". I can confirm there is zero fat in the breast of chicken fillets used. There is a light layer of batter on the chicken and if left in the container for a period of time, the batter can become soft and appear to look like fat, however I can assure you that this is not fat. We have been using the same supplier for our chicken fillets for over 10 years and we only use the best produce available for our signature dish. I am also surprised that you found that the dish lacked spice as this is one of the main ingredients of the dish and I've never had a similar complaint from any other customer.

Again I am sorry that you did not enjoy your meal and I would be happy to offer you a complimentary Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy to prove to you that your negative experience was a once off.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 23, 2013

we asked at our hotel for a nice Chinese restaurant and we got much more - the car park was full and we were worried that we would not get a seat - walking in we found a really nice welcome from the staff and a nice table for 2 - most of the cars out front were for takeaways we hoped this was a good sign - we were not disappointed we had 3 course meal by 2 and I had a beer and my wife a half bottle of red wine we left stuffed - we both went for something different and nothing disappointed - quality goes a long way.

at the end of the night the owner made it his business to make sure we got a taxi back to our hotel - again quality service mixed with quality food made it a very good night out for my wife and I

Hi The_Dublin_Couple,

Many thanks for such a lovely review. It is always pleasing to hear that first time customers had an enjoyable time in our restaurant and that you enjoyed your meal.

Hopefully see you in the future.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We got food from the takeaway and it was very good. I can highly recommend their Hot Spicy Dry Chicken.

I thought paying double the price for a dish to sit in the restaurant was over the top though. Usually a few extra € is ok but their prices where nearly double. Hence why we chose to get takeaway.

1  Thank ClarkW23

Hi ClarkW23,

Many thanks for your positive review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our signature dish, Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy.

Our Super Saver Menu is available 7 days a week. Starters are only €3 and mains with a side are €12.50 with a large selection of dishes to choose from (including Chicken Dry, Hot & Spicy) and available all day Mon-Thur. Fri-Sun the menu is available from 5-8pm,starters are also €3 and mains with side are €14.50. We also have a 10% discount off our A La Carte Menu prices. Our Super Saver Menu is very popular, great value and with a large selection of dishes to choose from. So you can see there is only a few Euro in the difference between our Take Away and Restaurant prices.

Thanks again for you review and hopefully see you in the Lantern again.

All the best.

Regards,

The Lantern Manager

So as you can see, there is only a few Euros difference from our Take Away and Restaurant prices