“Great stay”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Westport, Ireland
“Great stay”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family (nearly 40 of us, adults and kids) and I stayed here last weekend to celebrate our dads birthday. We all had a lovely weekend here, rooms were great, spacious, very clean. Dinner was arranged on the Fri night and was really good, breakfast was lovley and the staff were very friendly. Overall it was a great weekend, we will definitely be back. .

Room Tip: Only downside was noise of traffic/people late at night outside but rooms on river side were quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
york
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here recently for four nights. After two we went to reception and asked to be moved as the noise from the main street at 3am wasn't great - someone was having his own party! No problem at all being moved to a much quieter room but still overlooking the Moy.
The staff are all great but special mention to the happy, smiling ladies in the breakfast room who couldn't do enough for you!
Would we stay there again? ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in a room overlooking Garden street - great suites but can be very noisy...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We parked free in the adjacent parking deck. The location was walkable to restaurants and pubs (The Junction for breakfast and The Broken Jug for dinner). The room was fully modern with a great bathroom (full tub). The heat was a bit strong for my taste, but we were able to open both windows to regulate the air flow.

Free washer with laundry soap on the third floor if you run out of clean clothes on your travels.

We had a nice view of the river Moy from our room. Plus they had the best quality hotel blow drier I have ever used!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
mayo, Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful room with comfy beds and loads of space. Great value for b and b and dinner. Food was lovely and served with a smile. However the whole stay was soured by a wine corkage fee charged at check out. Despite the fact that the waiter told us that corkage was free, we were charged €8 per bottle for two bottles at check out. Not only was this excessive - I think €5 is more than enough - but we were lied to at dinner. The bill for dinner, which was signed for, did not contain this charge. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: ask for moy view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dun Laoghaire
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had the privilege of a complimentary two day stay at this hotel courtesy of RTE Late Late Show. Unfortunately on checking in I had developed a bad virus and was feeling quite ill. I was feeling very disappointed as I had been looking forward to revisiting Mayo which is such a lovely county. However, from the lovely smiling young woman on reception who made me so welcome (and brought me up a pot of tea)and gave such helpful advice on local hairdressing etc Having settled I went to the Bistro in search of a hot drink explaining I had flue. The delightful young woman immediately said "I will make you hot blackcurrant..that will comfort you". I wasn't charged for any soothing hot drinks.. The night porter assured me that he was on all night and if I needed anything just to call down. It was more like home than a hotel...and Susan in the dining room a pure saint! The staff are the heart of any hotel and such personal welcoming assistance is rare, unfortunately. This is a hotel on the lovely river Moy that our American visitors would love. Old fashioned comfort, Old fashioned Irish hospitality. Nothing was too much trouble and very central. The visitor information, which I had time to read from my sick bed, was the most comprehensive I have had anywhere. So despite my welcome complimentary break being marred by a bout of flue I left feeling a welcome guest and I will be back. Street parking was safe and easy to find. Bord Failte "(Ireland of the Welcomes)please note!!

Room Tip: Looking on to the River Moy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GrainneDunLaoghaire
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

From the moment we arrived to departure we were blown away by the friendly and helpful staff. What more could one ask for on our first stay in Ballina. Karen at reception and David in the bar deserve special mention. We had a dinner b/b rate for 2 for 99eu and if you need a break without breaking the budget I recommend this hotel. Our room was fantastic overlooking the wonderful Moy. The hotel is in the town with plenty parking and we really enjoyed our visit. We run a small business ourselves and it is hard to getaway with the recession we did not notice the faded items of previous reviewers we saw the smiling faces of staff who work extremely hard. Reviewers may suggest things need changing but small business cannot get credit .......so look beyond faded chairs sit down relax and listen to the wonderful music of the Moy..... We had mass on sunday at 11 and the choir were incredible ....back soon.

Room Tip: facing the moy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikeddie1987
Reviewed September 24, 2013

We spent our weekend in this hotel cause of its central location ...we definately made the best choice. The rooms were spacious ,nicely laid out with a lovely view of the river Moy The staff couldn't be any nicer, they were available at all requests. The spa room was small but the treatment was excellent. I had a facial & neck and shoulder massage which was to die for. Kym the beauty therapist was a charming young lady and I would definately return in the furure. I was disappointed that dinner was only available in the bar....The hotel resturant was closed during our stay. Overall the hotel was ideal for a short stay and was reasonable priced.

• Stayed August 2013