“Nice 2 night stay”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Maynooth, Ireland
“Nice 2 night stay”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were booked into this hotel for 2 nights on route to the Garlteacht to visit our son. We arrived very late to be checked in by Thomas the night porter. Thomas provided excellent customer service and nothing was too much trouble even given the lateness. The location of the hotel is very central. the pool was small but served it's purpose. The room was big and very clean even though the hotel is old and in need of redecoration. Very friendly staff and overall good value for money!

Room Tip: Ask for river view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We arrived in this hotel for 2 nights. We didn't booked any rooms as we didn't know if we gonna stay too long in Ballina, as our holiday is about to end. The reception staff were not really very happy to get new customers and they need a bit more training in working in public. Anyway, we got a lovely room with river view and that made us think that the waiting was the "price" we had to pay for it. The room was nice, clean and well presented. The only problem in this hotel is the service that we found very slow. Some of the staff members were under pressure all the time, because you can hardly find someone to help you in different matters. Since we start to visit Ireland, we never found a hotel with this kind of service. In the first morning, we asked the Reception for some more tea bags for our room. That was happening around 10am and till 11am nobody came with them. We have to say that we found a different service during the day and a totally different (in the good way!) service during the night time. One gentlemen that does his job fast, friendly and is extremely attentive is Noel (I do apologize if is not the right spelling!!). We ordered some take away food and he was very prompted in helping us to heat the food. He asked us if we need anything else, and if so to let him know and he will sorted out. Hats off to this gentlemen, as this is a nice way to look after the people that pays your bills. This is not an offensive review, is just a hint for the management team. I do hope in future this place will get better in matter of service, because we really liked in Ballina and will definitely come back in future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Erick Q
Prestonian Lancashire
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at Ballina Manor Hotel just one night and had a triple room to accomodate our daughter as well. Overlooking a busy road and room was very hot , but noisy with window open.. Room and ensuite clean , and spacious. Accomodation was on room only as we were leaving early -breakfast was about £11 each. Had evening meal in the bar - friendly staff- had bar snack type food - quality good but slightly overprice 14 euro for a small lasagne, there was entertainment - an accoustic band which were disappointing particularly as we were hoping it was a traditional band.However it gave us the opportunity to look round the time which seemed really nice - Catherdral, river some nice parks etc - Hotel has a pool but no sauna - pool small no jacussi and a little dated. Sorry if we didnt give hotel a better chance - but first impressions do count

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank angela18
omagh
Reviewed June 1, 2013

stayed at the Ballina manor hotel over the bank holiday week end .couldn't fault it from start to finish. The hotel staff were great, the rooms fine, clean and fit for purpose. The bar and staff again were great. The food really good and value for money. I would definitely go back ,you see lots of character in the hotel and Ballina town itself .Overall the people and place are worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank johnomagh
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Myseif and my Son just got back this Weekend from the Ballina Manor its so ideal for Ballina town centre .Can i say the staff here are very helpful especially the guy i have forgot his name from Northern Ireland who works in the bar at night brilliant a great barman and so helpful and fun to my son Harry .All the best to the Ballina Manor

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gaughan2
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spent 3 nights here in March 2013 on a Groupon deal. at the time of booking I had requested a riverview room and was advised of a surcharge for upgrade of 15 euros per night. However on checkout I was charged 75 euros. I queried it at the time but its embarrassing in an open reception area to get into a squabble over a bill. Despite numerous communications the hotel has rejected my version and has offered a "complementary upgrade" on my next visit. What a joke!! The hotel is nothing special and its main feature is its location on the river bank so they really shouldn't be charging extra for these rooms but allocate on 1st come basis. When we stayed there weren't that many guests and as such riverview rooms wouldn't have been in high demand.
The restaurant only opens at weekends so you eat in the bar area which is a bit drab and lacks atmosphere.
I got a bill from my phone provider for using the "free wi-fi" in our room however they refunded this when I explained the set up and assured them that i had only used the designated log-on.

The upshot of all this is that I won't be taking up their "complementary upgrade" and would advise anyone going there to get written confirmation of additional charges before travelling.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bout y
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The location is spot on and the entrance area is beautiful. I checked in late and the reception staff were still bright and helpful, giving me a map and not once suggesting I couldn't bring my racing bike up to my room, which I had feared would happen.
Walking up to my room I felt that the designer of the interior had been very clever with space. This is a building which does not waste areas.
The room was compact, but bright and clean. The one complaint I have is that the whole building, particularly the corridors, was too hot for me. I slept with both windows open as there was no visible heat switch in the room.
The breakfast menu is promising, but I was disappointed with the result. I had scrambled eggs with smoke salmon and the egg was solid with the bread soggy. The crusts, my favourite part, had been cut off too. I ate it because I'd paid for it and needed the protein, but I personally won't be ordering anything but a simply poached egg and bacon, perhaps, next time.
One other issue is the WiFi. iPads are not renown for getting great signal, but even in the communal areas I got nothing and I noticed three girls working off laptops with their own dongles in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo