“dissappointing”

Ballina Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Reviewed July 28, 2011

as we arrived at the hotel we looked for parking at the hotel as my dad is 85yrs old and cant walk, the sign at the car park said no parking, there was no mention of hotel patrons parking, so we drove past this another quater of a mile on to an open car park. my dad had to walk back to thehotel which took the part of 20 minutes. (i would advise at the time of booking that you are told there is an underground parking facility at the hotel. the hotel itself and the staff were very nice, however we ordered breakfast to our 2 rooms, mum and dad booked for 8.30-9am as did i and my daughter, mine arrived on time, i ordered boiled eggs, toast. i recieved the eggs, with NO toast, no butter, salt, i then went to parents room and 1 hour later were still waiting on their breakfast to arrive, we then stopped a member of staff on corridor to complain, she claimed that there was no time given on the order, which i must dispute as balloney because i remember discussing with mum the best times, as we were on a schedule to be checked out by 10, eventually my parents recieved theirs and once again no condiments recieved, by the time we recieved butter the toast and remaining breakfast was stone cold, so we declined to eat it and went to a cafe instead. its a pity that something as simple as getting a breakfast menu order right should put me and my family off EVER going back to the ballina manor.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night while attending a party in another local hotel.

The hotel is very central and the foyer is nicely decorated.
The hotel bar is nice and the staff are friendly.

The room was just OK. One of the windows was broken so we couldn't open it, and it overlooked the kitchen area where the staff went out smoking, but we weren't really looking for a view, just a good night's sleep, which we got.

We didn't have breakfast as it was an extra charge on the deal we got.

We got the last available space in the carpark, not sure what would have happened if there were no spaces left!

Overall, quite average.

1  Thank JannieSherlock
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nites, 19-21/07/11, having booked it at a good price via booking.com. We had stayed here 3-4 times before, when it was the RIDGEPOOL HOTEL. We stopped going because we felt it had become tired/jaded. Then we heard that it had been bought over and re-branded/refurbished so we thought we would try it again. The best thing is its location- close to the centre of the busy town of Ballina- the perfect place to examine Mayo and Ireland's west coast from. We parked in the free underground parking (get there early, spaces are limited). We went to our room at the back of the hotel (rm 216) which had a nice view of the Moy river. And the double bed was lovely and comfortable.
Now the bad stuff- the rooms,especially around the windows, one of which wouldn`t open, were a bit dirty and the whole refurbishment thing did not really enliven the rooms. Around the corridors there were bits of door fittings missing and while there may have been new wallpaper applied, it didn't feel or look that a full make- over had been done. Also the hotels leisure centre/swimming pool was not available because the refurbishment was still on-going.
Our price included breakfast and while we left full-up, we have had better. They serve cocktail sausages for some reason. On the 2Nd morning we got down at around 0920, but we watched as what hot food was in the self service hot plate area ran out quickly, none of it replenished, so a lot of customers were left without any hot breakfast whatsoever.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and did their best. But we decided that having given the `revamped` version of the hotel a change, we wont be using it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel, overlooking the river.
1  Thank PartimeHolidaymaker
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed two nights for an anniversary function in the hotel and a Christening in the cathedral the following day. The meal and facilities for the anniversary party which were provided by the hotel were excellent. The location on the River Moy is spot on and the dining room has large windows overlooking the water. The bedrooms are well equipped and comfortable. The staff are very helpful and friendly and there is ample free parking up the road.

There was a minor technical problem with noise from a kitchen fan on the floor below which meant some interrupted sleep during both nights. Also the shower ran a bit hot & cold on us - don't know whether this was due to heavy use in other rooms too or a faulty thermostat? Mentioned both things to a very sympathetic receptionist on checking out and hopefully the engineer will have them fixed by now. The parking spaces in the hotel building's car park are very limited in number and tight to fit into. The gate was shut before 11pm on our second night and we found the useful public car park very nearby (see above.)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrandonDublinIreland
Reviewed July 18, 2011

we stayed last weekend at the hotel .We were very impressed with the friendliness of all the staff,from the girl at reception to the bar staff and all the dinning room staff.A lot of hotels could do with their staff taking a leaf out of their book.All hotels should aspire to having staff as genuinely friendly as the staff of the Ballina Manor Hotel. Keep up the good work.We will be back.
Westmeath.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

I stayed here because it has just been refurbished and the rooms looked good on the internet. Their carpark has an unwelcoming appearance and is badly sign posted. Check in was pleasant however first room had no WiFi signal, they changed rooms without question, key fob was not working in my new room and had several trips to reception before I could get back in, however not long open and these teething problems can happen to any hotel.
The hotel has a cheap feel to it, they have refurbished parts of all the rooms but left other parts, ie bathrooms are not fully refurbished. The soft furnishings have a cheap thrown together look.
Breakfast was tasteless, however service was good. I cannot say there is anything really wrong with the hotel, it just feels like it has been completed on the cheap!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Stayed here from the Saturday till Monday, and what can i say nothing can fault this place. They have the typical irish model on reception when you walk in, red hair lovely smile and EVER so helpful. A nice guy helped me with my bags to my room ( forgot his name think it was kevin ) and wow did i get a good room right over looking the river, this river i was told is the best in europe for salmon fishing! I will be back next year for some fishing and staying in the same room with some luck! So i got to have dinner in the pink salmon, and all i can say is this resturant is out of this world! only let down no one was playing the piano! I had the steak!!
Now breakfast was wonderfull the ladies looked after me well, allways had a paper for me in the morning ! Had a little bit of a proplem on the sunday night getting in to my room but the same porter was there to help me get in, and brought me up a nice cup of green tea, and we had a nice ol chat for some minutes about the GAA he gave me some pointers! All in all I just wanted ever one to know how nice this hotel is and you really need to see this family at work!! Keep up the good work and see you next year!!
And a BIG thanks to emma for getting me the taxi!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank zelda1719
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballina
Great National Hotel Ballina
#1 of 9 in Ballina
Diamond Coast Hotel
Diamond Coast Hotel
#2 of 3 in Enniscrone

Been to Ballina Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!