“A Truly Magnificent Experience”

Ballina Manor Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ballina
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A Truly Magnificent Experience”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Upon entering the Ballina Manor Hotel you get an amazing sense of warmth and comfort. On arrival Edel checked us in. She was a very pleasant girl and nothing was to much hassle. This is lacking in most hotels nowadays and it was so nice to deal with somebody so pleasant and happy. ( Not to mention her patience with children). The, what appears to be an all female reception team were so welcoming and did their utmost to ensure we had a pleasant and comfortable stay (Not easily done with a 5 year old and 2 year old). We were shown to our room by yet another pleasant young man, unfortunately I canot remember his name but he made sure everything was 110% before leaving us to settle in. This didn't take long and so we decided to take a walk around the lovely little town of Ballina. We really enjoyed this as did the children especially when we wandered into a lovely little park area. Perfect to wear them out ;) When we got back to the hotel we decided to head to the bar to fill our tummies and that's exactly what happened. We were waited on by a very nice, well-spoken, dark-haired young lady who proved so efficient and patient with our monsters it left us feeling so relaxed. She in turn was working with a gentleman behind the bar who kept us entertained. A great trait, especially when my husband wandered down for a pint and a natter that evening. The staff at the Ballina Manor Hotel are quite noticeably a team. I honestly do not have a bad word to say about my experience here and I for one will truly be back. We were informed it had been newly renovated and re-opened so we wish them the best of luck and we can't wait to return. (Hopefully without the monsters)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nadine37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2011

We arrived at the hotel later than I expected, I called ahead and the receptionist was very helpful and understanding...upon arrival it was good to get out of the rain; the voyeur was warm and spacious.
After checking in, we threw our luggage into the rooms; the room itself was fine, comfortable, clean but the decor was a bit too powerful.
We headed for the bar for something to eat, had the Cod and Chips (YUM!), nice bar as well.
Slept well that night, the following night had a delicious meal in the Pink Salmon restaurant. The staff were great, can't say enough about them - a real homely feeling!

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone...I for one will definitely be back! :-)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank BuzyLizie
Ireland
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I cannot comment on the hotel itself but I can 100 percent advise that you do not eat here!We chose to dine here on a Sunday evening and were suprised to be told that the restaurant wasn't open,we would have to eat in the bar,not a problem normally except for the bar in The Ballina Manor is in one word,dreadful.It is just a dreary open space with dated,mismatching furniture,no background music,just Sky News blaring from a tv on the wall.
On a Sunday evening,only one wiatress (who was run off her feet )and one barman were working and judging by the quality of the food,I doubt there is a chef employed here.
By 7.30pm they had already run out of options from the menu,and the choice of what was on offer was not great.By the time our order did come,the food was awful.I was not given what was on the menu as they had once again "run out"(can i just mention here that Ballina Manor is directly across the road from a Centra and a five minute walk to Dunnes and Tesco).All our food tasted as though it had been made that afternoon and reheated,the seperate veg arrived thrown on side dishes..I got one piece of broccoli and a piece of cauliflower the same size as my thumb nail! I dont know any chef that would own up to cooking such poor standard food.
The general concensus from other diners whom we could overhear was that they too were very unhappy with both the service and the quality of their meals.One couple walked out after waiting about 20 minutes just to get a menu.
We were told that our bill would be discounted as they were aware we did not recieve a good service or meal,but when it came to paying,nothing had been discounted.
It quite possibly was one of the worst meals I think I have ever had and if you are staying here I would recommend you eat elsewhere in the town!

Stayed May 2011
3 Thank didiIreland
Donegal
Reviewed April 27, 2011

Didn't stay here, just went for very expensive meal. For starter 4 scallops on 4 bits of lettuce €11.25 . Tasty but totally over priced. Steak in the region of €27.50. Youre probably thinking this is the price you pay for top class food. The problem is , it is not top class! Its bar food with a crazy price! You do not get your potatoes and veg in a nice side dish to accompany your meal, you get the waiter to come around with the dish and ask you if you want potatoes and veg! The veg consists of carrots chopped up! It's very similar to a dinner dance only pricier. Staff were nice and helpful.The place was not very busy for a bank holiday saturday night. I think this could be the reason why !!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Rua68
ballina_manor_hotel, Events Manager at Ballina Manor Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Rua68

Thank you for taking the time to post your review we have taken your comments very seriously and appreciate the time you took to write your review but would really appreciate if you would contact us directly in the hotel to discuss further.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I had a terrible experience in the Ballina Manor Hotel.
It did not relfect what is on the website at all, it is more like a building site than an open hotel. The rooms were not done up to the same standard, the Leiisure Facitilies were not yet open and parking was very limited.
The staff were nice and the breakfast was good, but they are the only positives I can find,

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank MrsLolly
Dear MrsLolly

We are so sorry that you feel our rooms were not up to standard when you stayed with us earlier this year, but I can assure you that a lot of work has being completed since your visit with us. We would really like if you came back to stay with us again and see for yourself - and this time hopefully your stay will tick all the boxes including of course the nice staff and good breakfast!

We are really looking forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you back to Ballina Manor Hotel.

Ballina, Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Was a guest at a 85th Birthday Party.
Food cold. Very Blanch.
Some of the waiting staff not on top of their brief.
Bar staff slow and not fully trained.
Would not recommend the food or service in the bar/restaurant.
Positive note beautiful decorated and reception staff friendly.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Ballina2005

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor, we are terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal with us.
I would be delighted to speak to you regarding this matter if you would like to contact us directly here in the hotel. The Food & Beverage Manager has now had several training sessions with staff and I can assure you that this will not happen again.

On the plus side I am delighted that you liked our refurbishments and hope that we will see you again soon in Ballina Manor Hotel.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I Stayed here with my son in febuary .I can only say hotel was ideal for us .The service was great and the bedrooms was spotless .
I cannot fault this hotel .I have stayed in many hotels but i found this hotel spot on .The staff were very helpful to us . We had dinner there and the meal was wonderful and the irish breakfast what u got was spot on if u r visiting ballina try this one u will not be dissapointed
TONY MCANDREW

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Dear Tony

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are delighted you enjoyed all aspects of you stay as did we enjoy having you here!
We are truely looking forward to welcoming you back to Ballina Manor Hotel, so please do give us a call next time you are in the area.
Again thank you very much!