“Outstanding”

Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Ballina
Cuisines: Irish, International, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the town, you'll find the atmospheric Dillons courtyard an ideal place in which to chill out after a busy day. This refreshing haven gives local residents and visitors an opportunity to enjoy a drink, bar food or evening dinner in a unique location.We pride ourselves on delivering Restaurant food in a relaxed casual setting. Dillons is now under the stewardship of Paul Regan.Paul brings a lifetime of experience in the bar and catering trade to Dillons.Our motto is simple 'Quality Food at a Reasonable Price'.Whether it's a casual meal by the fireside or a more formal dinner in the restaurant you can be guaranteed of top quality fayre and friendly and efficient service. We specialize in catering for all family occasions. Christenings,Communions,Confirmations,Birthdays,Anniversaries,Post wedding day celebrations and have menu's to suit each occasion.A simple phone call is all it takes.We can also proivide entertainment for your family occasion,from a Traditional Irish music session to a lively local band.Ballina was originally one of Ireland's major ports. The Bond Store Warehouse (now Dillons) was built in the early 1800s beside the river Moy. It stored the imported liquor and porter that had been placed under Custom Seals until the appropriate duty had been paid. Dillons Terrace was of significant commercial importance and is steeped in local history. The stone floor in Dillons Bar originated from Kilmainham Gaol and a huge chimney breast in the bar was once used as a hopper to process grain.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

My wife and I paid a visit recently to this Restaurant set in a fabulous courtyard just one minute off the towns main street.Boy were we glad.A quaint bar and restaurant serving glorious food.I had the 6oz fillet special and my wife had the pan fried Hake,also from the specials board.Both meals were class and with 2 glasses of house wine the bill fitted nicely into €50.The service was superb,attentive but not overpowering.Will definately be back.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Firstly we are locals to the area and we ate on the evening of the 23rd March 2013 paid 67 euros in total two starters 2 main 1 dessert , coffee, Irish coffee, mineral and one wine

We went for a rare meal out and we were looking forward to it but I can only guess management have a policy to turn the tables around as quickly as possible so not to loose any other customers (money).

Well they lost us as future customers as although the waiting staff were polite I am guessing through no fault of their own we were basically harassed to finish our four course meal.

We were served by 3 different waiters which to us is simply not on as one handed us the menu and within 10 seconds another arrived to take order and I do mean 10 seconds . We asked for more time. Also when clearly my wife had still half her started on the plate another waiter asked could she take her plate ! For dessert again one waiter handed the menu and again I do mean instantly another arrived to take order? There was a family of four at the table beside us and we saw them experience the same with menus handed to the parents only then 10 seconds later another waiter arrives to take order but the first waiter had not even given the kids a menu! The waiter was politely told they hadn't been given all menus and that was a few seconds ago

Management please get together and try to keep it to one waiter to serve a table as your policy of multiply waiters who are clearly not working together is ruining what could be such a great restaurant as the location has a lot going for it

We will not be back and it's only Mount Falcon or Belleek Castle that we would recommend in Ballina if you want a good restaurant

3  Thank The_Mayo_Tourist
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for a 2 night mid week break in Ballina and ate in Dillons at the recommendation of the staff of the hotel we were staying in. Food was reasonably priced, as was wine. The bar was not busy - the restaurant side had a fire on the go, and tables were well spaced. Generally you could est anywhere as people were alsoeating at the bar.

Our meals arrived promptly, and we werent disappointed. The fajita meat arrived sizzling on a hot plate and came with rice, sauces (salsa, guacamole, cream cheese), and warmed wraps.

Service was attentive, though not intrusive. The venue opens on to a courtyard so no doubt would be a nice area to eat outdoors when the good weather kicks in. In a town with few other options than to eat in a couple of gastro pubs or chineses this is a eatery that provides good food without breaking the bank.

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

I have been in Dillions three times since its reopened and I have to say it's been lovely every time. The last was at a Christmas for a party and I couldnt fault any aspect of it.

There is plenty of choice on the menu and everything is fairly reasonable. The service is excellent...eps the manager. He is always so friendly and helpful. Dillions is such a cosy bar with a very welcoming atmosphere aided by the lovely fire by the door.

Glad to see Dillions back and better than ever before.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have visited Dillon's on three occasions while working in Mayo and have thoroughly enjoyed it each time, Blue Cheese and carmelised red onion burger was excellent as was the fish and chips, well worth a visit, it was recommended to me by a local person and they should know!
Lovely setting in a wee courtyard. Have to mention the bar man as he was very friendly and efficient without being intrusive. Would definitely go back.