See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I've actually stayed three times at Healy's while searching for, and successfully completing on, a property in the area and this review is long overdue.
From the first visit and through subsequent stays of nearly a week each as well as dining there as a non-resident now I have my property, I have been struck by the friendliness of ALL the staff there; receptionists, bar staff, waiters and waitresses, the chefs and houskeeping staff. Nothing is too much trouble for them and coming back is always like being greeted by old friends. My Missus is a vegetarian and Rabie the chef was only too happy to run up vegetarian stir-fries and other off-menu veggie goodies and bring them into the dining room and serve them himself! The food is great and very good value... I had a lobster dinner for twenty euros. Wow! Fresh oysters are also on the menu with a varied selection of specials on the board. Breakfast is a treat with a full Irish, or scrambled or poached eggs served, along with the stunning view of sunrise across Lough Cullen. Great coffee (cafetiere), sooooo important!
There's a lovely characterful bar as well which is also a local watering hole so there's always a convivial atmosphere there and if you don't get chatting to a bunch of friendly folk then the fault is yours! The whole hotel is in effect a small, cosy anglers lodge full of old angling memorabilia which suits me just fine. John Dever, the very personable owner/manager, is a keen angler and golfer and is always happy to recommend one of the great golf links (Enniscrone) or fantastic angling venues for trout or salmon (almost anywhere!) along with info on flies or boat/guide hire.He runs a "tight ship" and ensures that everything is just right and all guests are happy. John also has a very keen pricing policy and we paid thirty five euros bed and breakfast per person sharing which I feel is fantastic value.
When I bought my property nearby and the plumbing blew up during the big freeze in Jan 2010, John insisted the missus and I use the shower facilities in a vacant room until the damage was repaired. True hospitality.
We invariably slept like logs at Healy's and if there's noise outside the room (lovely lake view) then it's the fault of the noisy guest outside the room and not down to John or the staff. Please note, Robbie1876.
All in all I love Healy's: the situation, the staff, the food, the friendly locals. It's an ideal base for touring, fishing, golfing and just about all the other activities the West of Ireland is famous for. What more do you really want? I would happily recommend Healy's to anyone and frequently do so!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Carlpasha
Healys-Pontoon, Owner at Healy's Restaurant and Fishing Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2010

Thank you very much for your lovely review. It is much appreciated.

Merry Christmas

John Dever

Reviewed October 8, 2010

If you fancy a nice romantic evening with your significant other you could do no better than go to Healys of Pontoon where we spent a lovely evening at the end of the Summer. Bed and Breakfast came in at €35 and a whole lobster dinner at €19.99. Excellent value and good selection of wines under €20 a bottle and a lot of them also served by the glass. Staff and Service were excellent and I would not hesitate to go there again. It was Summer but the location is also stunning. Best value I have had in Ireland EVER! They also kindly posted back some items I had left behind. Thanks to all at Healys.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Beautiful rural country hotel which for the price we paid was excellent value for money. Its an old hotel but with charm. We stayed just for the one night with dinner but I suppose the highlight for me was the following morning waking up to the most fantastic view. The soundproofing isnt great but that is what you get in an old hotel. I would recommend it as a quiet weekend getaway at a very reasonable cost.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We have stayed in Healys about six or seven times over the last 10 years. Each time is a truly memorable experience. The staff are always most friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spotless, and the food is truly outstanding. I hate leaving!
We sent my wifes parents down to Healys for a few days last autumn, and they were also most impressed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Absolutely fantastic - staff welcomed us back (possibly our 12th visit) - excellent service, delicious food, staff and management readily available to assist and welcome you, rooms quaint and spotlessly clean, excellent value for money and a truely genuine experience of Irish country. Have already recommended to both irish and Ameriancan tourists and they have not been disappointed.

The scenic setting of this quaint hotel should not be overlooked.

Shane McGill