See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Beautiful rural country hotel which for the price we paid was excellent value for money. Its an old hotel but with charm. We stayed just for the one night with dinner but I suppose the highlight for me was the following morning waking up to the most fantastic view. The soundproofing isnt great but that is what you get in an old hotel. I would recommend it as a quiet weekend getaway at a very reasonable cost.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We have stayed in Healys about six or seven times over the last 10 years. Each time is a truly memorable experience. The staff are always most friendly and welcoming. The rooms are spotless, and the food is truly outstanding. I hate leaving!
We sent my wifes parents down to Healys for a few days last autumn, and they were also most impressed.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Absolutely fantastic - staff welcomed us back (possibly our 12th visit) - excellent service, delicious food, staff and management readily available to assist and welcome you, rooms quaint and spotlessly clean, excellent value for money and a truely genuine experience of Irish country. Have already recommended to both irish and Ameriancan tourists and they have not been disappointed.

The scenic setting of this quaint hotel should not be overlooked.

Shane McGill

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2008

Having been let down by a large hotel in nearby Castlebar which did not have our reservation, this was very much an impulse booking from a brochure. Healy's only has 14 rooms but the location, at the north end of Loch Cullen is beautiful.

As soon as we walked in the front door my wife and I began to feel relaxed. Having dumped the kids with in-laws, the idea was that we were going to have a few nights away by ourselves. The original booking was going to be in a large hotel with a pool, sauna, gymn etc. Healy's has none of that, but the relaxing atmosphere and loch view from the windows is far better.

From photos it is obvious that this was an old Georgian house which has been extended sideways to about double its original size, but has kept its old fashioned character. It is a big anglers' hotel during the summer season and the public rooms have lots of memorabilia, clutter and pictures which may not be to everyone's taste but we liked it.

Two smart restaurants served by the same kitchen give a choice of setting for meals. The bar is modernish but ful of wood and I am sure serves food too. In good weather the picnic tables outside would be the place to sit.

Restaurant service was informal ("sit where you like") and friendly. My only regret was that it was dark when we ate so we didn't get to appreciate the view. Food was beautiful but expensive (as all the restauarnts in the area seem to be). The most expensive steak or fish dishes were 30 Euros. I had two of the specials: a starter of scallops for 17 Euros and turbot for 25 Euros. Both were excellent; the turbot was amazing.

Breakfasts were also great, with a good variety of fresh cooked food and the usual cereal buffet.

We were told that we could have a loch view room B&B for 45 Euros pppn, or no view for 10 euros pppn less. When we checked out they charged us the lower rate anyway, perhaps because we had eaten in one night. The non-view rooms wouldn't be very good as they are just looking into the hillside at the back, so avoid them. Most of the rooms look over the loch. Only criticism is that the rooms could be a few feet bigger and some of the en-suites are cramped.

As we were off season there were only two other rooms let and we arrived first so we got to wander round and look at all the rooms to make sure that we had the best! My wife reckoned that we should have gone for one with a bigger bathroom, but I was fine.

The road winds round the top of the loch past the front of the hotel, but is so quiet and bendy that I noticed no road noise. You just know that horses and carts have been plodding along it for the last thousand years or so and that the tarmac is recent.

If you are used to posh big modern hotels then Healy's may not be for you, with it's wonky floors and tiny bathrooms. But if you want a relaxing country break near Achill Island it is great. A gem of a place.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 9, 2008

From the first time I stayed at Healy's Country House Hotel and Restaurant, I knew that in the future when in the area, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. It's like being home, but with an entire staff buzzing to attend to your every need. The rooms are comfortable and look out on a glorious lake with mountains in the distance. The food is consistently superb and you will never hear "no" even when you ask if it's alright to bring thirty-five people in for dinner on short notice. If you're going to Ireland do yourself a favor. Book in at Healy's in Pontoon.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank saoirse67