“Coach Party”

Michael Davitt Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Foxford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Michael Davitt Museum is dedicated to the life and achievements of Michael Davitt - father of the Land League, International Humanitarian, Author and Parliamentarian. The Museum is housed in a Royal Institute of Architects of Ireland award winning restored church in which Michael Davitt was baptised. The museum is adjacent to the 13th Century Straide Abbey which contains some of the finest medieval carvings in Ireland. The site also features an historic graveyard in which Davitt, and other notable figures are buried, and extensive landscaped grounds, in which to walk or picnic. Food & refreshments available nearby.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Coach Party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

So glad we decided to visit this Museum. An amazing place telling a fine story. I think a film of Michael Davitt's life would be a big hit. This building is well kept and Christina made us all so welcome. Joe and Karen are very knowledgeable and kept everyone interested. The audio visual display is excellent.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank MARYANNT45

Ireland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Great afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I brought my kids here for a visit on a Sunday afternoon and it was a great visit. The staff were so knowledgeable and friendly. There is an audiovisual element as well as all the displays. Beside the museum there is a lovely old Abbey also.

It's a great way to spend an afternoon - bring a picnic as there are benches to really make a day of it!

Visited April 2014
5 Thank caoimdee
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Our wonderful visit to Michael Davitt Museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

We are all so delighted that we took time out of our journey to stop at the Michael Davitt Museum. The staff were knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and brought history to life. We learned so much, and enjoyed the visit so much that our two girls were very disappointed to leave. But we will definitely pay a return visit soon.

8 Thank Lonan1
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Informative and enjoyable visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

Went to visit the Davitt museum on Saturday 7th June 2014. Museum is compact and very well kept. Audio-visual tour was good way to commence tour as it refreshed the memory about the life of Michael Davitt. My grandmother and I enjoyed browsing through the myriad of documents, images and artefacts and found the staff member (Joe) very helpful and knowledgable.
If passing through Co. Mayo this is a must-visit.

Visited June 2014
10 Thank 836Aidan
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A great two hours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

I was on my way from Foxford Mills to Castlebar with my daughter. We approached Straide and I said to her this is where Michael Davitt is from. She asked me who he was and we saw the signs for the museum. We stopped and had the most brilliant two hours. Joe the curator was a mind of information and the museum is wonderful!!! My daughter even bought a few books as she was so enthralled with the story of Michael Davitt!! Thank you Joe for bringing history to life!!

Visited June 2014