“One of the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carne Golf Links

Carne Golf Links
Ranked #2 of 19 things to do in Belmullet
More attraction details
Owner description: Carne Golf Links lies in magnificent unspoiled sand dunes overlooking Blacksod Bay and the wild Atlantic Ocean near Belmullet Co. Mayo in the west of Ireland. Carne was the last links course to be designed by the late Eddie Hackett and it is now believed by many who have played it to be his greatest challenge. The building of Carne has caused little disturbance to this wild and ancient landscape. Tees and greens occurred naturally and very little earth moving was involved in the course construction. Along the course are some breathtaking views over the Atlantic and the legendary islands of Inis Glóire and Inis Géidh
Inishcrone, Ireland
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 114 helpful votes
“One of the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

This was my second visit to Carne and it was very windy that day. I got hooked up with a group from Minnesota and it was an enjoyable day. I'd say Carne is as incredible as Ballybunion but I'm not Tom Watson. If you go be sure to have lunch or dinner at the clubhouse.

Visited September 2011
2 Thank tomapar

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“worth the drive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Yes it is in the middle of nowhere - but the course is stunning - enjoy 14th-18th great holes -

Visited April 2011
1 Thank 60795George
Cork, Ireland
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Poorest course condition in Ireland”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

8 of us were on a four day golf trip in the Sligo /Mayo area and Carne was supposed to be the highlight. Unfortunately this was not the case. The general maintenance of the course is very poor and the fairways are bare and patchy. Greens are a disgrace with little grass and patchy surface at best. We finished playing at 16.00 and there no towels available for showers because the Pro had gone home.
Only plus was that the food served in the clubhouse was excellent, but we did not come for the food!
Certainly not worth going out of the way for.

Visited April 2011
MayoErris, Manager at Carne Golf Links, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Dear MDIRL,
Thank for your comments and review below.
Firstly I would like to apologise for no towels being left out for the group in the locker rooms upon your return, there is no excuse for this except a short sight on our behalf.
Your comments on our course were taken very seriously and after consultation with our green staff and course committee below is our explanation.
A Green Reseeding programme is currently in place. This involves over seeding the greens with indigenous grasses such as fescues and bent. We are, in so far as possible removing the invasive poa-anna grasses from all our greens. This is done in conjunction with a light top dressing of sand which is done approximately once a month. Following this monthly application, obviously for a short period after this treatment greens would not be as fast as we would like them to. We had applied fertilizer and a sand top-dressing on the greens midweek, this with unseasonal hot weather (20 degrees) Friday and Saturday that week caused the grass to grow at treble the normal rate.
We hold our hands up on the greens problem on that day. However the rest of the course is as conditioned as it ever was in the past at this time of year.
True Links fairways are generally bear at this time of year; we would be very concerned if they were lush green and therefore displaying a very un-natural appearance so early in the season.
Our course is raw, rugged and natural as it is so renowned for, we have in recent days received several compliments on our course and the true nature of a rugged links course.
I would like you to have a positive experience of Carne in the future so if you find the time could you please drop me a note to sales@carnegolflinks.com. We respect all feedback and address all concerns raised. Thank you for taking the time to visit Carne and I trust that on the next occasion the visit will be more enjoyable.
Sorcha Murray
London, Ontario
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A fabulous links course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

If you like links golf, you should not miss Carne. My wife and I played the course on the afternoon of the final round of the British Open and we had the course to ourselves, all the members having played in the morning. The course is difficult and you will need to buy the course guide to find your way around, but this is a great golf course, imaginatively designed and at the same time completely natural. Every hole seems to have been fashioned out of the dunes, with several blind shots. However, it's a fair course and rewards good shots.

However, if you have trouble keeping the ball on the planet, I would skip Carne. You'll never find your ball in the fescue and you'll be frustrated beyond belief. Hit it short and straight and take your bogeys and you will not be disappointed. Bring a camera and a full box of golf balls. This is Irish links golf at its best.

2 Thank Gzowski
Flint, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a fun golf course”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed this course. I was able to play many of the great courses throughout the northwest of Ireland and this was the best by far. I enjoyed every hole. This place has amazing dunes and terrific scenery. If there was one course that I could play for the rest of my life this would be it.

2 Thank shamrockscgolf72
MayoErris, Manager at Carne Golf Links, responded to this review, June 3, 2010
Thank you so much for your great review of Carne.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our Links course and hopefully we will get to see you again soon, in the meantime tell all your friends.

Best Wishes,