“Our Wedding at the Talbot”
Review of Talbot Hotel

Talbot Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Belmullet
GreenLeadersSilver level
Westport, Ireland
“Our Wedding at the Talbot”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had our Wedding here in November, what a surperb day.The staff and management of this hotel were extremely helpful with our preparations. I recommend this hotel highly for a wedding.It offers great value with an extensive menu. The food was amazing, great attention to detail. The accomodation is luxurious and the breakfast the following morning was fit for a king. The children in our party were catered for with a special children's menu and canapes.The reception suite was so tastefully decorated. Anyone looking for that unique venue for their special day, should look no further that the Talbot. Many thanks to everyone at this hotel for making all our dreams come true on our Wedding Day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ann c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Went for dinner and drinks the other day and was extremely disappointed with Talbot Hotel. Service was very poor in pub and restaurant area. Despite it being very quiet the waitress and bar staff were slow to serve us and food took ages to arrive to the table and was only average when we did finally get it. However staff in the front of house were quite polite. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the reception desk. After spending an entire evening in the place I went to the receptionist to ask for a taxi, I was spoken to in an extremely rude manner and told if I wanted a taxi I could go out on the street and get one myself. I was taken aback by the tone and manner of the woman behind the desk and when I asked again politely could she call me one I was told in no uncertain terms that she would not. I pointed out to her that Broadhaven Hotel can ring for a taxi for their customers and her retort was 'go up there then and get them to order one for you so'. It was at this stage I left the hotel appalled by my encounter with her. I called reception the following day to enquire as to who the night time receptionist was so as I could complain and was surprised to find she was in fact the owner's wife. I would recommend this hotel put more effort into their customer service but do not hold out much hope for this if the owners cannot lead by example. A very disappointed customer.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
19 Thank LS123186605
TalbotHotel2011, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Firstly let me apologize that you did not find the food or service up to standard. I am sincerely sorry for your perception of the Hotel and me in particular. St Stephen's Night was a busy night and unfortunately the supply of taxis in the area like many other towns, does not meet the demand on such nights. I had been trying to contact several different taxis on the night in question; however they were not even answering any calls. The taxis were collecting people from the Square in Belmullet and straight out to the Haven Nightclub. I had suggested the most effective way to get a taxi at that time was to try and flag one down on the street, which I had offered for one of our doormen to try and flag one for you, which was declined. In hindsight perhaps I should have tried to call the taxis anyway, however I was trying to be helpful and give you truthful advice. I had checked on you party two minutes later but you were already gone, so I presumed you had flagged a taxi.
I can truthfully say that I did not use the quoted comments attributed to me and I perceived the encounter totally different.
However I am truly sorry that you had not had an enjoyable evening here with us, and can assure you this is not normally the case. We do make every effort to meet all customers’ requests and as it was such a busy night your taxi request was beyond my control. I regret we didn't get to meet the following morning as I am confident we could have cleared up any misunderstanding at that time.
We would be delighted to see you back with us in the future and will make every effort to make this an enjoyable visit for you.
ESAV37
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here on business and was really pleasantly surprised. The hotel has been very thoughtfully designed and decorated with real attention to detail. I liked the fact that there was a Nespresso machine as well as the standard kettle and each room had a large TV and also a seperate Ipod docking station. The hotel rooms are very spacious and extremely quiet, I probably had one of my most comfortable nights sleep ever in a hotel. My colleague and i both agreed that if the pillows and duvet had been on offer then we'd have bought them. The staff here were very friendly and welcoming, both in the hotel and the restaurant/bar attached. My only slightly negative comment would have been that the restaurant area was rather tired and in need of some love and care. As for the food it was plentiful but the veg over boiled, meat over cooked and chips a bit lacklustre. My colleagues had the Fish and Chips though which by all accounts were good. I'd certainly return to The Talbot, you'd be hard pushed to find a hotel with rooms of this quality, at the price they charge, anywhere.

Room Tip: Don't think you could go wrong with any room here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Talbot the night after our wedding. We chose the ivory suite and we were not disappointed. It is a fabulous room decorated to the highest standard. After only a few mintues in the room Santa arrived at the door with two glasses of champagne what a lovely touch. The bed was so comfortable it was hard to get out of the next morning for breakfast. We thought we had missed breakfast at 1040 as we knew it was served between 0730 and 1030. We called reception we were told no problem and head down when ready. What a fantastic breakfast worth getting up for. We have eaten in the bar previously and can only say the food is fresh and wonderful. A fantastic hotel just wished we could have stayed for longer. Can't wait to return !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kieran M
TalbotHotel2011, Owner at Talbot Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
To The Happy Couple!
We were delighted to read your review and that you both enjoyed start of married life at The Talbot Hotel. We believe The Ivory Suite is one of the nicest suites in the hotel but its always great to hear it confirmed!!
Santa was visiting in The Barony Restaurant when you checked in and he insisted on bringing a gift to you both.
We all wish you both every happiness in your life together and hope to welcome you back again.
Merry Christmas
Castlebar, Ireland
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I can highly reccomend a stay at the talbot. Rooms are fabulous, food is excellent. Decor is amazing. The staff and owner couldnt do enough to make us feel welcome & comfortable.
I was attending a wedding in the broadhaven,& when they couldnt get a taxi for me one of the barmen kindly gave me a lift. This human approach to customer service is so rare theese days. I really felt i should write them a review. If you stay at the talbot you are in for a real treat. Worth every penny, just brilliant!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maria c
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What a wonderful hotel, stayed for a hen party, the staff were so helpful and everyone was so friendly. Everyone loved the rooms and the suites are amazing. We had dinner in the bar lovely food they kindly personalised the menu with the hens photo. Even made us sandwiches after the nightclub
Breakfast the next morning was fab freshly cooked

Can't wait to stay again!!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Bridesmaid712
Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Just home from my sisters wedding in this hotel, wow it was amazing. The staff and owners of this hotel are brillant at what they do, they are so attentive and genuine people. From when you enter into the reception you feel welcome. The wedding was a first for the hotel and i can honestly say how can they improve on perfection......the champagne and nibbles reception,dinner, evening buffet was so tastly and beautifully presented, all served by a smiling waiter/ waitresses. The function room was decorated to the highest shandard, no expence spared. I have stayed here once before and the place is so clean with exquisite room decor, I cant say enough good things on this hotel. Great food, great people, they should be very proud of the standard they have achieved. If anyone is thinking of going to or getting married in Belmullet the Talbot is the only place to go. Thank you for a wonderful day!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room they are all decorated with individual decor theme and just perfect!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belmullet
Broadhaven Bay Hotel
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Ballyconneely
Stella Maris Country House Hotel
Leim Siar Bed and Breakfast

Been to Talbot Hotel? Share your experiences!