“Amazing Experience”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am really shocked by the reviews which will be below mine because myself and my husband have had a totally different experience when we had dinner there last night. It was our first time to this restaurant and in fact our first time to Dingle.... but the best restaurant experience we have ever had! We were greeted warmly despite not having booked, able to choose where we sat and immediately felt at home when brought a lovely glass of olives and sundried tomatoes, and some bread which tasted like it had just come out of the oven. For starters we both chose the sea food chowder.... something we had always wanted to try and it turned out to be simply out of this world!! I have never tasted fish so fresh and we were in foodie heaven! Our mains were the fish bake of the day and cajun chicken,,, both with lovely veggies and we were even offered a refill. So delicious and the surroundings, with so many lovely paintings, really pretty.... we just didn't want to have to leave. We chose sticky toffee pudding and pavlova for dessert and this was sublime also... really a 5 star meal and, having eaten in many many restaurants in different parts of the world, we are no more easy to please than the next person. It feels really important for me to right this review especially given the not so good experiences people have previously had there because everything was wonderful last night, Our "Maitre D" was very kind and attentive to us also, and made sure that we were happy with everything without being over the top. If only we were actually staying on the Dingle peninsula, we would have gone back there again tonight, but we will definately recommend this restaurant to our friends and family and we will return the next time we are in Ireland.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Jane M

cincinnati
“Mediocre expensive food”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I wound up at Half Door only because for some reason, the Bull's Head, right across the street was not open on a drizzly Monday night. We looked at the menu and thought it had something for us and our children. The service was friendly enough, and we were quickly seated. Things started well with a nice lobster bisque, but went downhill from there. My wife and I heard about the Dingle seafood reputation, so we decided to share the 50 Euro seafood platter. It was bland, with all the different kinds of shellfish basically tasting the same. Our son had a mediocre plate of crab claws that also lacked flavor, while my daughter had an okay plate of spaghetti that was lukewarm. My wife and I each had one beer and the bill was 100 Euro. Very disappointing.

• Visited September 2012
Greenfield, Indiana
“Pleasant dining experience”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The food was excellent, great service and relaxed atmosphere, I had lamb shank that was well prepared.. The reataurant was a little pricey

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Joseph D
Boston, Massachusetts
“big portions of great food”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I came on a Saturday night. We didn't have a reservation but they were able to seat us right away despite being very crowded. The waitstaff was a little stuffy but lightened up throughout the night. Food was very good, a little overpriced but the serving portions were huge. Decor was unique but not gaudy, esp by coastal Irish standards. We would go here again.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Scott Z
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AMAZING!! :):)”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

What an experience it is to eat in such a top notch restaurant.. everthing from the bar staff/owner/food atmosphere the decor - OUTSTANDING.

I have been to alot of resturants in Ireland and world wide this has to be my favourite one to date, will be hard to beat. Thank you for the half door experience :):) hope to see you very soon again

• Visited July 2012