“Completely unprofessional.”
Review of Irish Adventures

Irish Adventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Irish Adventures offer Outdoor activities, including Sea-Kayaking trips, half and full day, Rock climbing abseiling / rappeling, Mountain biking in Kerry
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I can honestly say I'm rating this as terrible for mainly one reason: our kayaking guide. Everything else was pretty good, but our guide, Peter, pretty much ruined the day.

I am a female traveling around Ireland for 3 months alone, and while in Dingle I met some other really nice American girls and we decided to all do the kayaking from the harbor together. We set it up the night before and Noel was great, answering my questions and taking our reservation pretty late the night before. When we got there the next morning, none of us were super psyched because it was raining and not the greatest day, but we suited up anyways and headed out with Peter, our guide. There were 5 girls in total and Peter, an obvious transplant to Dingle as he was definitely not Irish, would keep making misogynistic jokes. "Oh, when you're paddling this way just pretend you're at home in an apron sweeping up after your husband" or "Lady dolphins take so much longer to get ready because they can't stop looking at themselves in the mirror." Like really stupid, sexist jokes, and I could tell one other girl was very annoyed by it, but I kind of just chalked it up to wherever he was from. The weather had cleared, the water was like glass, and it turned into a beautiful day for kayaking. We ran into a guy who always goes out in his boat to play with the dolphin, Fungie, so we literally had the most amazing experience watching them together and seeing Fungie up close. It was awesome.

When we got back to the harbor, I was the last boat to pull up to the boat ramp, and I kind of came along the side of it cause everyone else's boats were taking up the ramp. I asked Peter to help me out and put my hand up for him to pull me up. He says, "Oh, you want to get out? Careful what you wish for!". And this is when our guide, the man we paid 50 euro to take us on a fun adventure, purposely flipped my boat and I was all of a sudden underwater in oily, slimy harbor water.

Now, I don't consider myself uptight or unable to take a joke, but here's my thing: this guy doesn't know me. We're not friends. He's there working, and his job is to make sure everyone on that tour is having a good time. More importantly than that, his job is to make sure everyone feels safe and comfortable. And I can tell you when you're suddenly and unexpectedly underwater and your head comes within inches of nailing the cement boat ramp, you don't feel safe or comfortable, and you wonder what the heck just happened. Not to mention that if I had brought my camera like a few of the other girls had, it would have been ruined and all my pictures from my trip would have been gone.

That was basically it. It pretty much ruined the entire day and I was so upset I just went up and changed and left without tipping, as did all the other girls because the experience really left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, I think. He did not apologize, and in fact made more jokes as we walked up... "You're definitely going to need to wash that oil out of your hair" and "I hope you brought a towel". Just a complete and utter jerk.

I will say that Noel was up by the office when we left and I said something to him about it, and I did receive an apology from him a few hours later via text message. And I do appreciate that. But I don't find the people running this business or the people working it to be professional. They told us they would be emailing us photos from our day kayaking, and we just received a few, more than a month later, and only two of them can you actually see our faces. Anyways, the actual trip was great, save our horribly inappropriate guide, and so I feel bad saying it was terrible, but the follow through and everything else left a really bad taste in my mouth. So my recommendation would be to do this kayaking trip, as its beautiful and you will have a great time, but be mindful if your guide's name is Peter, and get out of the boat quickly and on your own before you end up taking an oil bath. And take your own photos, because you won't get any from them.

11  Thank Alanna S
There are newer reviews for Irish Adventures

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did the morning kayak trip. We had a great time kayaking around Dingle harbour. And, yes, we did see Fungi! The equipment was in good condition, and our guide knew the waters. He was also just a pleasant guy to chat with. If we ever go back, we're doing this again!

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My friend and I booked the afternoon kayaking trip to see the dolphin and the caves. We ended up being the only 2 people on the tour (benefit of a mid-week tour in late May!). Our guide was terrific! Really friendly, knew the water really well, and knew a lot of the history of the town. We had the poor luck with the dolphin (we saw him from a distance, but he didn't come to play), but the caves and scenery made up for everything! I would highly recommend this trip!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I booked the evening sunset kayaking tour with Noel from Irish Adventures in April. Although the spring weather had been a bit chaotic, the evening we went out was perfect. Noel was a wonderful guide. We went over some basics before we got the boats in the water. Although we were not new to kayaking it was nice to review the basics, and makes me feel that anyone - even those who have never been in a kayak before would really enjoy this tour with Noel's guidance. We paddled out a crossed the bay and into the open ocean to check out sea caves and then back in to see Fungi the dolphin. Noel was a great guide & great to talk to (he gave us some interesting history of different landmarks as we paddled). He also took photos of us as we paddled, which turned out really great! Kayaking with Irish Adventures was the highlight of my Irish vacation thanks to the great trip out with Noel. If you find yourself in Dingle, this is a must do outing.

1  Thank mallory R
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We've been kayaking with the family (2 adults, 2 kids) without having any experience. Material and people were very good. we have had a wonderfull day with lots of fun en vieuwings of Funghi