“Best restaurant in Dingle, best calamari in the world”
Review of An Canteen - CLOSED

An Canteen
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We've been going to An Canteen every year since they opened. We go as often as we can manage in our one week in Dingle, and have never been disappointed. We've also tried almost everything on their menu.

Their calamari is the best in the world and I have had it all over the world so I know what I'm talking about! I wish it was always on their menu. The prawns are sublime, too. They were so big, I mistook them for lobster, and they were meltingly tender (as is the calamari).

My husband usually has trouble deciding between the pork belly and the braised beef because both are so good. He's tried the fish and chips and loves them as much as I do. I order fish and chips everywhere we go and they're never as good as An Canteen's. Thank goodness they ARE always on the menu.

When my in-laws come with us, my MIL always has the ham terrine and warm salad and my FIL has the calamari and pork belly.

One year we had boxty which was perfectly prepared – crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside – served with a truffle oil rémoulade. The Cajun chicken salad is also excellent.

Our friends and my husband usually start with a soup. It's always different. So far we’ve had mushroom, chicken and mushroom, cream of vegetable, thai, and turnip-bacon. I can't order soup in most restaurants because the stock has MSG and gives me a migraine but I CAN eat the soup at An Canteen because he makes his own stock; plus, he never uses flour to thicken it, only fresh vegetables. I don't order it, though, I just taste everyone else's, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish my dinner.

Everything is home-made, in fact, including the tartare sauce and salad dressing. We’ve asked to take the salad dressing home with us, it’s that good. (We rent a cottage with a kitchen and prepare some of our meals ourselves.)

We're usually too full for dessert but, when we do order it, it's as good as the rest of the meal, especially the chocolate brownie.

My husband always has at least two of their craft brews. I’ve tried their cider and it’s much, much better than what you get everywhere else.

Oh, I almost forgot, Niall’s bread is to die for. We bring a loaf back every year for my MIL.

We have tried many other restaurants in Dingle, and some are very good, but this one really is our favorite restaurant in Dingle.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had very nice dinner here. The restaurant is fairy casual. Service is very friendly, attentive and helpful. We started out dinner with chicken wings. They were very tasty. My husband ordered fish and chips with mashed pies. They were out of the pies on that day. So they gave us an extra piece of fish, which we thought was very generous compensation. For my entry I had prawns, which were supper fresh and absolutely delicious. One thing that really makes this place stand out is their beer selection. They carry beers from good number of local microbreweries. So if you are a beer lover, this place is a must.

1  Thank MNS_14_10
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We enjoyed dinner meals at An Canteen both nights we were in Dingle. The salads, bread and entrees were delicious. We were very tired upon arrival in Dingle and our B and B hosts (Browne's B and B) sent us there. The freshly made seafood stew was full of several kinds of seafood and not the thick heavy kind of sauce. We enjoyed great desserts the second night and the lamb was wonderful.
Keep it mind that it is a small place with one brother waiting tables and the other the chef (who came out and visited with us both nights). One night was a bit marred by a loud and demanding New York City family but all was well when they finally left. The prices are reasonable and fresh ingredients are used throughout.

1  Thank Connie L
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Booking is advisable as it is a small restaurant with a family atmosphere and the food could be styled "home-cooking" but of a very high standard. The staff were friendly and helpful and willing to try to accommodate us when we arrived unannounced. It was just a few doors down from the entrance to the carpark of Benner's hotel where we were staying. we would go back again when in Dingle. Fish is the main feature on the menu but we had a very tender beef dish and an equally tender pork one with thin crispy crackling - both to be recommended.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We ate here following a word of mouth recommendation and were not let down. Brilliant menu range, delicious food at great value (though it took a little long to arrive) and the lovely chef came out and chatted at the end.
A great place for any occasion. And the desserts are a must!