“Great music and good atmosphere”
Review of John Benny's Pub

John Benny's Pub
Ranked #14 of 76 Restaurants in Dingle
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I've never been disappointed with the music in this busy pub. Especially since the owner, John Benny Moriarty plays accordion and his wife, Eilis Kennedy, is half of the beautiful singing duo "Lumiere" who tour professionally. I had the good fortune to hear Eilis sing on my most recent visit. She has a gorgeous voice. She was acompanied by Matt Griffin on guitar, and a female fiddler whose name I don't know. I've also heard other great musicians here such as Jeremy Spencer, Sean Leahy, and Dessie Kelliher. The beer isn't especially cold, but the atmosphere is very "classic pub", and the traditional music is always excellent. John Benny himself is a friendly man, and you'll find him behind the bar until he surprises you by grabbing his accordion and joining in with the rest of the musicians. It's a nice pub, and I always check out who's playing there whenever I'm in Dingle. You can usually find CD's there for sale by the musicians, with Eilis Kennedy's kept behind the bar. One tip: despite who the chalkboard says is playing that night at ANY pub, check with the bar staff to see if it has changed, as it frequently does.

There are newer reviews for John Benny's Pub

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Four of us had lunch here on Sunday. It was very busy but that did not impact on the service or the quality of the food. It was excellent and very good value. The flavours and presentation said a lot for the chef who i believe is from the Dingle area. Well worth a visit.

1  Thank DenisJR001
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Went 2 nights running as music was so good and it was right on the front promenade. Good friendly atmosphere too.

1  Thank ellis6
Reviewed July 10, 2013

With a group of 9 people we went looking for somewhere to have lunch in Dingle. The town was crowded with tourists, but at John Benney's we were welcomed and given a table very quickly. Service was excellent; a slIghtly cheeky young man took our many orders and delivered them efficiently. The food was good, reliable pub food and the general atmosphere was pleasant and relaxed despite the obviously very busy day.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Do not expect elegant quiet dining at John Benny's- it's a pub. That said, the food was excellent and reasonably priced. Venison was one of the specials and I decided it was a good time to give it a try. It came fork-tender, moist, and boldly spiced. I loved it! My husband ordered the Guinness beef stew and pronounced it delicious. We did not stay for music, but we heard from others that it was excellent. We actually went back for a second night and sampled the mussels and chicken Caesar salad. Again excellent. Only one word of caution: seating is mostly on low stools, so if that is not comfortable for you check and see if they can accommodate you.