“Only just OK for the price”
Review of Brook Lane Hotel

Brook Lane Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Usually I agree with Trip Advisor ratings - but for this hotel, I'm puzzled as to why people think it is so great.

There is nothing awful about the hotel - there are some good things (the bed was comfortable and my wife pointed out that the sheets etc were very high quality). However, the hotel website uses the word 'boutique' a lot - and boutique its not!

The breakfast was fairly good - but slow. We ate once in the bistro and were dissapointed - what we had was average at best. We ate in the town for the other two nights.

Kenmare is a lovely town and base for a few days in the area. I seem to remember when choosing that hotel rates are high here, but this hotel was probably the worst value we had during a 9 day touring holiday in Ireland. If I came back to Kenmare I would probably choose a B&B in the town with parking.

1  Thank Paul Schofield
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2010

Dear Paul Schofield,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay with us here at the Brook Lane.

I am delighted to hear that you found our beds to be comfortable and that your wife appreciated our high quality bed linen. I am also pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit to the Kenmare area.

As regards breakfast, unlike most hotels we provide our guests with a breakfast which is freshly cooked to order and as you can appreciate, this does take time. Our guests choose from a fabulous selection of freshly cooked food such as full Irish, fish of the day, eggs benedict, pancakes, omelette, smoked salmon and eggs etc. We have a buffet table also set up with fresh pastries, breads, scones, cereals, yogurts, fresh fruits, smoked salmon, a selection of juices, croissants, etc which guests use while their cooked food is being freshly prepared. We offer breakfast from 8 until 11 for our guests convenience and to prevent delays. However i am sorry if you experienced a delay on this occasion.

It is most unfortunate that you did not inform me of your opinion on the 'Boutique' issue during your stay. The term 'Boutique' is open to many different interpretations. In cities such as London etc, a 'Boutique Hotel' is usually a hotel with abstract and sometimes whacky design/decor. However the Irish interpretation of 'Boutique' is an individually run, small and intimate property with excellent beds, linens and furnishings, exactly what the Brook Lane Hotel is.....

Again I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I sincerely hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Kenmare some time in the future.

Una Brennan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed July 1, 2010

My wife like so many others found Brooklane Hotel through TripAdvisor. We have travelled quite extensively and have never found such a perfect combination of superb accommodations along with staff who are the nicest and very genuine. Both my husband and I can emphatically say that the staff really knows how to make anyone feel right at home. Upon arrival the staff at reception greeted us both with such warmth. I immediately picked up on how well their hotel was kept. This I felt would translate in how well they treat their guests, and I was right. Their hotel is located in one of the, if not the best locations for a variety of reasons (Ring of Kerry, walks & Cycles etc). The staff are truly wonderful and exceptional who are operating one heck of a class operation. Anyone would be fortunate to be able to experience the hospitality at the Brooklane Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Dear waterfordhelen,

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I am thrilled to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the Brook Lane. I have passed your very kind words on to our hardworking team and they send their thanks.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare and lokking after you just as well on the next occasion.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

A very special hotel indeed everything about Brook Lane is excellent, staff extremely friendly and get great pride in making your stay most enjoyable, rooms were extremely comfortable and food was fantastic. Hope to get back again soon. Highly Recommend.

Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed here mid week for one night and enjoyed our stay. Clean, modern, functional hotel in the outskirts of Kenmare. Cooked breakfast was good, the continental breakfast could have had a better food selection (breads, yoghurts etc..). We dined in Kenmare in the Horseshoe bar (delicious!) and stayed away from the hotel bar as there are a much better selection of pubs in the town. Overall it served a purpose, to provide a good night's sleep!

Reviewed June 26, 2010

We ended a 6 day trip along the South West coast with a 2 night stay here. The rooms are modern and comfortable. Its 4 minutes to town. The Bistro serves some of the best food we had on the trip. Very highly recommended. My only "irk" was the reception was rarely manned and you could be kept waiting for service. I hope the hotel take a look at this, but overall it was a pleasure.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2010

Dear Barty1958,

Thank you for choosing the Brook Lane and also for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be modern and comfortable. We have recently upgraded our rooms with fresh new wallpapers, paints and furnishings and I am thrilled to know that our efforts have been noticed.

I have passed your comments about our food onto our kitchen team and they send their thanks. I am pleased to hear that it was some of the best food that you had on your 6 day trip to the Southwest.

With regard to reception, we insist on showing our guests to their rooms on arrival to ensure their comfort and satisfaction. We have a bell in place on the reception desk so that in the unlikely event that reception is momentarily unattended, a staff member from the adjacent bistro will come to assist the customer. As we are a small intimate hotel, we train our bistro and reception staff to be able to cover each others roles and satisfy our guests needs competently. I apologise for any delay you may have experienced on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare again soon and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us.

kind regards

Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stayed in the Brook Lane hotel for 3 nights in a "superior" room. The room was very nice indeed and beautifully decorated. Indeed the hotel was generally very nicely decorated. The staff were most helpful and made my wife and I feel most welcome. We enjoyed going back to the hotel each evening. The food was good and, overall, we didn't note a single negative point. I can recommend this hotel.

P. Crotty
The Netherlands

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
brooklane, Owner at Brook Lane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2010

Dear Crottpa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel following your recent stay. Your kind words in your review are most appreciated by our team.

I am really happy to hear that you found your "Superior" room to be very nice and beautifully decorated. Our 'superior' rooms are our standard rooms at the Brook Lane and on your next visit I would be delighted to offer you an upgrade to one of our 'delux' rooms or indeed one of our 'luxurious' rooms.

Both the 'delux' and 'luxurious' rooms have recently been redecorated each with their own individual colours, themes and soft furnishings. The bathrooms are also stocked with natural and organic toiletries for your comfort and relaxation.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to looking after you and your wife again soon.

Reviewed June 7, 2010

Lovely hotel with a charming staff. They took great care of us with lots of recommendations of things to do. The hotel lies just outside the craziness of Kenmare along the road to Killarney, and it is an easy walk into town.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear We_Call_Him_Shiva,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the Brook Lane following your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you found our location (just a 4 minute stroll from Kenmare town centre) to be convenient and peaceful.

I really appreciate your kind words regarding our great breakfast as we strive to provide a wide selection of fresh fruits, pastries, juices, breads and cereals on our buffet. All our cooked breakfasts which include choices of fresh fish of the day, pancakes or 'Full Irish' are cooked to order to guarantee freshness and quality.

Our staff members are delighted to know that you found them charming, informative and that they really took great care of you during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare and to the Brook Lane again soon.

Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort
Beara Coast Hotel
Beara Coast Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castletownbere
International Hotel Killarney

Been to Brook Lane Hotel? Share your experiences!