“Laid back + great food = terrific”
Review of Oceanblue Seafood Bar - CLOSED

Oceanblue Seafood Bar
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stopped in on the recommendation of Irish friends and were not disappointed, to say the least. Jim was running short-handed but managed to welcome, serve and provide wonderful conversation about music, poetry, the Gaeltacht and more. The fish and mussels were extremely fresh, well prepared and delicious. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Ed D

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Chosen because it had standard cod / haddock / salmon and chips and also a smoked salmon salad. Delighted to find the special was John Dory and it was excellent. Very good value for money and this was reflected in its popularity. Expect to wait for a table but you don't have to wait long

Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and looking for a great spot to eat in Kenmare. I am delighted that we found Oceanblue. I'm very picky about eating out because the food I cook and prepare for us at home is always the best quality, so when our food was served at Oceanblue I knew this was going to be a great experience. The crab cocktail was really clean and fresh, a generous portion of shredded, moist crabmeat served with a mixed green salad that contained fresh berries and exotic baby greens, such as chard. We also ordered the cod fish and chips. The batter was not seasoned, but very light and crisp all over. We ground coarse salt over it and bathed it in lemon to our liking. The fish was buttery, so soft and smooth and mild tasting. After our meal, Jim, the owner, came by to talk with us about our meal and our travels. He's a very nice man. We will recommend this place over and over.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

When I reviewed Quinlans Seafood Bar in Killarney in 2011, the title of the review was "such a good idea, amazing there aren't more places like it".

Well it turns out there is now, with Oceanblue in Kenmare! It achieves what was special about Quinlans - the feeling of getting a proper sit down meal in a relaxed value setting. It's probably got more of a traditional restaurant feel than Quinlans. The fish and chips were delicious, as were the mussels in a lovely cider based sauce.

You can bring your own beer or wine for no corkage, though we weren't so organised. The wine served was probably the only thing that felt a little pricey.

The owner (we presume) who was serving was warm and friendly to all guests and clearly takes pride in his establishment. We even got a poetry reading, with aplomb! All in all, a great choice in a town with lots of choice.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I consider myself a bit of a fish & chips expert and I'm not one for reviews but i had to write about this place. I have never in my life tasted such delicious fish & chips. I had the plaice and it was cooked to perfection, I could really taste the fish as the batter was so light and the chips were real chips too top class!! ..if you even kinda like fish & chips this place will convert you to a lover of fish & chips!!

1  Thank Happypurplefish