“A Great! Afternoon and Some Lovely People!”
Review of Gleninchaquin

Gleninchaquin
Ranked #2 of 49 things to do in Kenmare
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small business, principally running a commercial sheep farm. We also have a passion for nature, the countryside and conservation. We embrace both business & tourism in an effort to make your experience of Ireland a memorable one. Agri-Tourism, Eco-Tourism, we warmly welcome you here. We are a private park, we maintain everything at our own expense which is why we make a small charge on entry. There is much of Kerry that is inaccessible, our park offers access through well maintained paths together with facilities as you may expect at any attraction, washrooms, wheelchair access and much more. All of this takes funds to maintain and to enhance your experience here on Beara. We do however take exception to people who flout our not unreasonable requests such as not paying and arriving assuming they can drive straight in, ignoring our signage. If this is your attitude then you are not at all welcome and will be politely but firmly told to leave. Peter Marketing and Admin.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I guess I don't understand the comments concerning the owners of this park. I found them to be lovely people and extremely helpful. We were there on a bright sunny day and there were plenty of cars and one bus but the property is so big that you feel alone. Everything is exceptionally well signposted and easy to navigate your way around. For the €6 parking charge you can have a great day out in the mountains.
One of the best experiences on our month long trip.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

The scenery is unrivaled in this corner of Ireland. After a nice peeaceful walk what could be better than a lovely cup of tea or coffee in the newly opened tea rooms aptly named THE SECRET GARGENS TEAROOMS. It is run by Tom and Eileen and if it is a warm welcome your after then this is the place you Wil get it. The tearooms are up at the back of the carpark and the scenery is just out of this world. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I can quite honestly say that the couple who own this property should not be dealing with the public!

Yes, it is a beautiful trail, and some of the most amazing scenery that Ireland has to offer. We were not even that concerned with the EUR 6.50pp entry fee as we were on holiday and looking forward to the hike with our dog. After I had paid I had asked the “sweet little old lady” for a map of the property only to be told that we do not need one and that everything would be clearly marked with red poles. However, after following her initial directions (through the gate, across the field, over the bridge – you get the idea) there was not a single red pole in sight and we ended up taking a wrong turn and having to ask a neighbour for directions. Not a problem though – so off we went and started walking. Only about 15 minutes into the walk did we start to see poles and the trail markings (red, yellow or green) were very, very faded.
The walk itself was beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed it, but when we got to the end, instead of doing the “river walk” section (the bridges were very slippery as it had been raining and it was mossy…..so we were worried that our 9 month old Bernese mountain dog would slip) we decided to just walk back along the road parallel to the walk itself and this is where we met the owner. He first very aggressively asked us why we were not taking the river walk as it was the “best part” and when we explained why he was not at all happy and was just rude. I politely mentioned that a little feedback I would like to give him is that the trails are not very well marked upon which point he rudely told us that if we had been listening to the directions we had been given, along with the map, we would have been fine (Oh there’s an idea – an actual map, why didn’t I think of that) He then went on ranting and raving about how children had destroyed the markings and that they were thinking of closing the walk or not allowing children at all. At this point we just wanted to get out of there in one piece! As we got to the parking lot though (after a 2hr mountain walk) our dog decided to do his business right in the middle of the entry road. (I now think he was just leaving a little feedback of his own) Being a considerate dog owner we picked it up and I asked the little old lady if she had an outside bin we could use. She smiled sweetly and said no. Thinking I had misheard I asked “Ummm, no? “No” she said, you can take it with you. Lovely!

So, be warned – this is a lovely walk if you do not pick up after your dogs, do not have children and only do the dangerous slippery river walk.

17  Thank LisaKC2013
Reviewed June 3, 2014

What a treat, an absolute must to see this beautiful valley and mountain scape that has changed very little. A great day out

Reviewed June 1, 2014

A bit off the beaten track, but mince found it's a lovely place to walk and explore - I would recommend it