“Visit the glen, not the park!”
Review of Gleninchaquin

Gleninchaquin
Ranked #2 of 50 things to do in Kenmare
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small business, principally running a commercial sheep farm. We also have a passion for nature, the countryside and conservation. We embrace both business & tourism in an effort to make your experience of Ireland a memorable one. Agri-Tourism, Eco-Tourism, we warmly welcome you here. We are a private park, we maintain everything at our own expense which is why we make a small charge on entry. There is much of Kerry that is inaccessible, our park offers access through well maintained paths together with facilities as you may expect at any attraction. Washrooms, wheelchair access and much more. All of this takes funds to maintain and to enhance your experience here on Beara.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Dublin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Visit the glen, not the park!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My advice, go to the glen of inchaquin. It is a really special place even just for a drive and a view of the beautiful scenery. On your drive, stop well before you get to Gleninchaquin park - after the lake ends. The people who own this land are (as other reviewers confirm) money grabbing, unfriendly and an embarassment to me as a fellow Irish man.

You can have as nice a day by stopping somewhere before the park. The Beara way runs through or near this valley and I believe is accessible earlier on the drive up to the park. Look for a sign for a standing stone attraction at a right turn in a fork in the road in the valley.This landowner takes a more hands off approach and has a good faith system where you can drop 2 euros per adult into a locked box for upkeep of the paths, etc. It's a little rougher than inchaquin park but it is fine for adults and kids (you can even bring the buggy up a good section of the path). This gives you a spectacular view of the lake and waterfall, framed by a stonehenge style standing stone - see photo I uploaded. The trail here takes you up the mountains and you can access the same or equivalent walks that the park entrance offers you.

I've been here for the past 3 years running. First year I paid and visited Gleninchaquin park. I really enjoyed that but I was taken aback by the in-your-face attitude of the owners (they tend the car park themselves) and some of the comments they made were not friendly. Definitely not a typical Irish welcome. Since then I've been back every year, on my own and with my boys(6 and 8) but I avoid the park. It's a great cylce out from Kenmare to here too, about 40Km roundtrip.

Thankfully the beauty of inchaquim will outlive the current people who own and run this park!
Visit the valley, not the park!

Visited August 2013
20 Thank BKeane

• Hebrew first
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Rude, obnoxious, deceitful owner!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I drove to Gleninchaquin on our family holiday this year to Kenmare and as the title says, our experience was horrendous!!! On arriving at the carpark, an old woman sitting in the carpark pounced on us before we were even able to set foot out of the car! Through the window of the car we enquired if the "park" was accessible with a buggy as we had a 7month old baby with us, she advised that this wouldn't be an issue, whilst holding her hand out for payment. Once again we asked if she was sure as we could partially see the direction she was pointing at, and from carpark it looked near impossible, and once again she confirmed that it was accessible with a buggy. Having paid her what I believe was an extortionate entrance fee we unloaded the baby, buggy, bags etc... From the car and started out up the "hill" a hill which was challenging enough for anyone, let alone pushing a buggy! We literally managed to walk a few feet on some Tarmac and the the pathway became impossible!! Trying to keep our faith in mankind, we thought maybe we were missing something so my husband suggested getting the car from the carpark and he would drive up the hill a few hundred metres to see if the situation would improve if we continued on, he did this and unfortunately the pathway didn't improve on the short distance he drove while we waited back at the start for him to return. In the end, we decided to leave as it was NOT accessible with a buggy, despite owner confirming twice that it was... Our total visit for this "daytrip"..... 10mins (including unpacking and packing the car!!!!!) just as we were about to leave, i spotted the woman that had quite happily taken our money and decided to raise my dismay with her, i asked her for our money back as it was NOT accessible for our family. As per previous reviewers she told me that we had been on private property and that was what the fee was for so she would not refund us, again I pleaded with her to see our point of view, however she became rude and dismissive and certainly lived up to her names/titles which previous reviewers have given her. Short version of this review €12 for 10
mins and a very rude attendant... NOT good value for money, DON'T GO!!!!

Visited July 2013
17 Thank colinda40
San Francisco
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“FAB - U - LOUS!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was the highlight of our Irish walking tour. The wind and the downpour did nothing to diminish the sheer beauty of the monumental waterfalls, the historic shepherd's hut, the slippery walking paths along the river, and the chance to get up close and personal with a variety of sheep. We suffered from ATGF (Acute Total Gore-tex Failure) and didn't mind a bit!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank TravelInsuranceLady
Dublin
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A glimpse of heaven...”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I was lucky enough to be staying with a friend in the area during the wonderful July weather. There had been an article about the Corkery family farm on the Irish Times so I was really keen to visit. What a great experience! The scenery is spectacular, and the walks are totally eco-friendly, with safety rails where needed blending in unobtrusively. The Heritage Cottage, re thatched, looks down the valley and is a very moving reminder of the thriving community that once peopled this remote area. I got to bottle feed Jake the pet sheep, and extracted a promise that he would never be eaten! My ambition now is to bring back a larger group of hiking friends to explore and enjoy this idyllic glen with its waterfall, lake, stream and myriad walks.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank dinah1Dublin
Kenmare, Ireland
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Don't forget your camera”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you enjoy walking, this hidden place is a wonder. A friendly welcome is in store in the owners home with lovely homemade apple pies & scones, do this after you have worked up an appetite walking up Gleninchaquin and take in the amazing views and the stunning waterfall, this will take about 2hrs, but if you aren't able for this there are more sedate walks by the river. Enjoy

Visited May 2013