All reviewscrab cakesporridgecoach houseprime ministerbeautifully decorated with antiqueshistoric propertyring of kerrysitting roomdinner reservationswonderful hostspoached pearfull irish breakfastthe main houselime treetwo nightsmemorable staya short minute walk
Reviewed September 1, 2009

150 euros a Night , for a king room bb/2pers.. shower only...
Room with gardenview but it's smelled litlle bit strange .. old bathroom ... just not in the main part of the Lodge Nice breakfast ,......

2  Thank phiippe D
Reviewed August 31, 2009

We arrived and a friend of the owners welcomed us.She made a reservation for us at a local restaurant but left us on our own. We had no idea how to get to the restaurant and the phones in our rooms did not work. People have raved about the rooms (antiques etc.) but we found things a little shabby. The owners were there the next day for breakfast and they seemed very nice and helpful. We stayed one night and went to The Kenmare Park Hotel, more expensive but totally worth it. To be fair I think my family isn't for B&B's . We like a little more hustle and bustle and a bar.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This was by far the nicest B&B in our trip across Ireland (to be fair, it was also the most expensive - our one splurge). It was an ideal combination of the warmth and graciousness you would get from a private home with the features and amenities of a nice hotel. The location is perfect - a brief walk into town as well as a great place to start driving the Ring of Kerry (we set out on a Monday at about 9:30 and since we must have been a bit behind the hordes starting from Killarney, we hardly saw any buses). Tom and the rest of the family were delightful, making recommendations not only for the local area but for our next destination, as well as telling us a bit of history about our family name. The breakfast was outstanding - some different choices every day, with everything very high end. It was also the only B&B where we had a full tub instead of a shower stall. Just wonderful.

1  Thank EyesOnTheHorizon
Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed here with my mother and younger brother. The rooms were airy and clean and en suite. We arrived quite late and were straight away given a pot of tea and some home-made soda-bread, which was very welcome after the drive down.
Mora and Tom produced the most amazing breakfasts for our 3 mornings. There was an extensive menu to choose from, ranging from omelettes, fresh-fruit, fish, porridge (with either whiskey or honey cream), and the full Irish.
I eat breakfast at the Ritz in London several times a year, and have always held that as the benchmark for a good breakfast, but Shelburne Lodge knocked the socks off it. The porridge was like nothing I've had before and the full Irish was just perfection.
After breakfast, sitting by the peat fire in the the lovely Georgian sitting room we were given very good advice about what to see during the day and suggestions for eating in the evening, which were then booked for us.
There is wifi for guests, which was very useful.
I couldn't recommend this guest house highly enough. The one caveat would be for those who are not fully able-bodied; all the showers seem to be in the baths, so that you have to step in to them, and all the rooms seem to be up stairs with no lift in sight.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sben0063
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I must preface this review with the fact that despite booking a room well in advance, I did not actually spend the night at Shelburne Lodge. However, I felt that I must write a review to contrast my experience with that of two others before me who said that their room was given away and they were treated poorly, as my experience was quite different. We arrived rather late in the afternoon and were greeted at the door by Maura. She warmly welcomed us in and told us there was a "hitch" with the room and seated us in the parlor with tea and Guinness bread so she could explain. A water tank had recently burst in the lodge, rendering the en suite in our room out of order. However, she had gone out of her way to contact a friend who owned the exclusive 5 star Park Hotel Kenmare to put us up at a room there, at the agreed rate for the Lodge (approx 1/3 the cheapest rates at the Park!) Truth be told, despite the fact that I've never before stayed in a 5* hotel, I was disappointed, as crazy as that sounds. My initial impressions of Shelburne were that it was a fantastic old manor home with an amazing hostess and I didn't want to stay at a hotel. I had also read reviews here about the breakfast, and I really was looking forward to it! I asked if we could have breakfast at the lodge and Maura graciously obliged. So, we relaxed with our afternoon tea while Maura chatted with us and loaded us up with suggestions of where to eat and what to do in town before heading down the road to the hotel (which was amazing). In the morning, we returned to Shelburne for a decadent breakfast. I had the fresh fruit, nectarines, strawberries and grapes in a light lemony syrup, and a perfectly prepared omelette with cheese and fresh herbs and a side of the most delicious bacon I had anywhere in Ireland. My husband opted for the preserved pear with ginger and the smoked fish and loved every bite. Could it get any better than this? Oh yes, because breakfast was accompanied by hearty conversation with Tom. Tom is a walking Irish history lesson and he is so much fun to talk to! By the time we left, he had given us information on things to do and ways to get around for our next two destinations, not to mention a history lesson on the origins of my family name! My only regret is that I did not get to spend more time with this delightful couple in their beautiful home.

1  Thank JLOM