“Everything a B&B should be”
Review of Shelburne Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenmare
Shelburne Lodge
Ranked #6 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This was by far the nicest B&B in our trip across Ireland (to be fair, it was also the most expensive - our one splurge). It was an ideal combination of the warmth and graciousness you would get from a private home with the features and amenities of a nice hotel. The location is perfect - a brief walk into town as well as a great place to start driving the Ring of Kerry (we set out on a Monday at about 9:30 and since we must have been a bit behind the hordes starting from Killarney, we hardly saw any buses). Tom and the rest of the family were delightful, making recommendations not only for the local area but for our next destination, as well as telling us a bit of history about our family name. The breakfast was outstanding - some different choices every day, with everything very high end. It was also the only B&B where we had a full tub instead of a shower stall. Just wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EyesOnTheHorizon
There are newer reviews for Shelburne Lodge

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I stayed here with my mother and younger brother. The rooms were airy and clean and en suite. We arrived quite late and were straight away given a pot of tea and some home-made soda-bread, which was very welcome after the drive down.
Mora and Tom produced the most amazing breakfasts for our 3 mornings. There was an extensive menu to choose from, ranging from omelettes, fresh-fruit, fish, porridge (with either whiskey or honey cream), and the full Irish.
I eat breakfast at the Ritz in London several times a year, and have always held that as the benchmark for a good breakfast, but Shelburne Lodge knocked the socks off it. The porridge was like nothing I've had before and the full Irish was just perfection.
After breakfast, sitting by the peat fire in the the lovely Georgian sitting room we were given very good advice about what to see during the day and suggestions for eating in the evening, which were then booked for us.
There is wifi for guests, which was very useful.
I couldn't recommend this guest house highly enough. The one caveat would be for those who are not fully able-bodied; all the showers seem to be in the baths, so that you have to step in to them, and all the rooms seem to be up stairs with no lift in sight.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sben0063
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I must preface this review with the fact that despite booking a room well in advance, I did not actually spend the night at Shelburne Lodge. However, I felt that I must write a review to contrast my experience with that of two others before me who said that their room was given away and they were treated poorly, as my experience was quite different. We arrived rather late in the afternoon and were greeted at the door by Maura. She warmly welcomed us in and told us there was a "hitch" with the room and seated us in the parlor with tea and Guinness bread so she could explain. A water tank had recently burst in the lodge, rendering the en suite in our room out of order. However, she had gone out of her way to contact a friend who owned the exclusive 5 star Park Hotel Kenmare to put us up at a room there, at the agreed rate for the Lodge (approx 1/3 the cheapest rates at the Park!) Truth be told, despite the fact that I've never before stayed in a 5* hotel, I was disappointed, as crazy as that sounds. My initial impressions of Shelburne were that it was a fantastic old manor home with an amazing hostess and I didn't want to stay at a hotel. I had also read reviews here about the breakfast, and I really was looking forward to it! I asked if we could have breakfast at the lodge and Maura graciously obliged. So, we relaxed with our afternoon tea while Maura chatted with us and loaded us up with suggestions of where to eat and what to do in town before heading down the road to the hotel (which was amazing). In the morning, we returned to Shelburne for a decadent breakfast. I had the fresh fruit, nectarines, strawberries and grapes in a light lemony syrup, and a perfectly prepared omelette with cheese and fresh herbs and a side of the most delicious bacon I had anywhere in Ireland. My husband opted for the preserved pear with ginger and the smoked fish and loved every bite. Could it get any better than this? Oh yes, because breakfast was accompanied by hearty conversation with Tom. Tom is a walking Irish history lesson and he is so much fun to talk to! By the time we left, he had given us information on things to do and ways to get around for our next two destinations, not to mention a history lesson on the origins of my family name! My only regret is that I did not get to spend more time with this delightful couple in their beautiful home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JLOM
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We just loved the Shelburne Lodge. The owners were so sweet and helpful and we loved that their son was there helping out in the mornings! We found the accommodations charming, clean and friendly. The breakfast was wonderful - Maura is a fantastic cook. Kenmare is an adorable town with wonderful food. We recommend trying The Lime Tree and Packies. If we made our way back to Kenmare - we would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smac15
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Enjoyed the scenery and location, breakfast was very good. Rooms were above aerage for a guest house, a little short on amenities but high on charm and character.

The town is great fun, very lively for such a small place, bars were open late and the drinks flowed for as long as we could take them. Plenty of police on patrol, though they weren't needed, everyone was in a party mood.

The Guest house gardens are a great Sunday morning retreat to get over the hangover, best tip, plenty of tea and biscuits in the garden.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This was hands-down our favorite place that we stayed in Ireland. The Tom and Maura could not have been friendlier, and they have such a comfortable, warm, luxurious home. The bathroom was huge, as was the room. They kindly upgraded us to a bigger room when we checked in. They greeted us upon arrival with a warm pot of tea and scones, and invited us to curl up next to a peat fire. Just what we thought Ireland would be like!

The Lodge is a quick walk from downtown Kenmare, a delightful village near Killarney in Southwest Ireland near the Ring of Kerry. It sits back from the road in a gorgeous park like setting, and is an historic structure. It is really quiet. The breakfast was the best we'd had our entire stay -- Maura has a restaurant background and it shows. We still dream about the stewed rhubarb they served as a first course. It was like eating in a gourmet restaurant for breakfast.

Without reservation, we would highly recommend this delightful hotel and plan to come back someday to spend some more time.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelhabit
Reviewed May 3, 2009

My husband and spent three days at the Shelburne Lodge. Wish we had stayed for another night. This was one of the best experiences on our three week trip. The lodge was impeccably cared for; comfortable; and beautifully presented. Maura, Tom, and their son Thos, were friendly, caring, engaging, and service oriented. The breakfast was the best we had on our trip...local, fresh, no corners cut. Tea and delicious baked goods were served on arrival and in the afternoon. If you are a foodie, this is the place to stay. Easy walk to town, quiet and beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple