“Beautiful Guest House”
Review of Shelburne Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenmare
Shelburne Lodge
Ranked #5 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We just loved the Shelburne Lodge. The owners were so sweet and helpful and we loved that their son was there helping out in the mornings! We found the accommodations charming, clean and friendly. The breakfast was wonderful - Maura is a fantastic cook. Kenmare is an adorable town with wonderful food. We recommend trying The Lime Tree and Packies. If we made our way back to Kenmare - we would certainly stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smac15

Reviewed June 1, 2009

Enjoyed the scenery and location, breakfast was very good. Rooms were above aerage for a guest house, a little short on amenities but high on charm and character.

The town is great fun, very lively for such a small place, bars were open late and the drinks flowed for as long as we could take them. Plenty of police on patrol, though they weren't needed, everyone was in a party mood.

The Guest house gardens are a great Sunday morning retreat to get over the hangover, best tip, plenty of tea and biscuits in the garden.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

This was hands-down our favorite place that we stayed in Ireland. The Tom and Maura could not have been friendlier, and they have such a comfortable, warm, luxurious home. The bathroom was huge, as was the room. They kindly upgraded us to a bigger room when we checked in. They greeted us upon arrival with a warm pot of tea and scones, and invited us to curl up next to a peat fire. Just what we thought Ireland would be like!

The Lodge is a quick walk from downtown Kenmare, a delightful village near Killarney in Southwest Ireland near the Ring of Kerry. It sits back from the road in a gorgeous park like setting, and is an historic structure. It is really quiet. The breakfast was the best we'd had our entire stay -- Maura has a restaurant background and it shows. We still dream about the stewed rhubarb they served as a first course. It was like eating in a gourmet restaurant for breakfast.

Without reservation, we would highly recommend this delightful hotel and plan to come back someday to spend some more time.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelhabit
Reviewed May 3, 2009

My husband and spent three days at the Shelburne Lodge. Wish we had stayed for another night. This was one of the best experiences on our three week trip. The lodge was impeccably cared for; comfortable; and beautifully presented. Maura, Tom, and their son Thos, were friendly, caring, engaging, and service oriented. The breakfast was the best we had on our trip...local, fresh, no corners cut. Tea and delicious baked goods were served on arrival and in the afternoon. If you are a foodie, this is the place to stay. Easy walk to town, quiet and beautiful grounds.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank garudagirl
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The Shelburne Lodge was by far our favorite place we stayed in Ireland! (And we also stayed at Dromoland Castle, among others, so we had a good taste of lots of places).

Tom and Maura are charming and kind, our room was sweet and airy with a big, comfy bed and a great shower. We loved the decor - whitewashed antiques and a pretty view of the garden out the window.

The house is beautifully kept up considering its age - you'd never be able to tell! The sitting room downstairs is cozy and a wonderful place to sit and read after a day of sight-seeing in the cold drizzly Irish weather.

The facade of the house is covered in ivy, lush like the gardens, and there is one of the biggest, grandest trees I've ever seen in the yard adjacent to the parking area. It's simply lovely.

It's a quick walk into town, and Maura's restaurant, Packie's, was one of our favorite meals in Ireland. Fresh and gorgeous food and kind and friendly waitstaff. Loved it!!!

But I have to spend some time on Maura's breakfasts. I dream of them even now. The fresh oj and fresh-pressed apple juice (from their own apple trees, how beautiful!) are just the start of an amazing meal. My husband is obsessed now with whiskey cream after his daily bowls of porridge and the cream ("a lovely whiskey cream," Tom says, in his melodic Irish lilt) and my fresh Irish strawberries and bananas with strawberry coulis were a perfect beginning. Then I tried their fresh smoked salmon (yum) and Maura's lightly breaded plaice (gorgeous) with the freshest poached eggs I've ever had. Delish! Their soda bread is great, all crumbly and perfect with some butter and jam, and of course a big pot of tea for me and coffee for my hubby, tucked into his sausages and eggs and ham and bacon, blissfully stuffing himself.

The dining room is the prettiest room in the house, with its yellow walls and big fireplace, and tons of bright windows. Fresh flowers, herbs, and plants are everywhere (even garnishing the plates!) and it just feels like you could sit for hours drinking your tea.

We can't wait to go back to see the Foleys again - Kenmare is a sweet little town and we could definitely spend more time there. Ireland is in my heart forever now, and we have Tom and Maura to thank for much of that.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lonestarali
Reviewed September 1, 2008

A group of seven of us (moms, daughters, and aunts) took a girl's trip to Ireland and chose to stay in Kenmare for 3 days. We loved Kenmare and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Shelburne Lodge. I am very picky about the atmosphere of my accommodations. I read a couple of reviews that mentioned that the decor was 'tired'. It is not tired; it is artistic and charming! I saw four of the rooms and really liked them all. The rooms are not cluttered and are nicely appointed. Five of us ended up staying in the Coach House and we loved it out there. The rooms were very comfortable. There was a sitting area on the first floor of the Coach House (there was one in the main house, as well, of course). Although the Coach House sitting area is open to anyone staying at the B&B, we were the only ones that spent time there and felt like we had our own private space.

We also spent a lot of time visiting in the back gardens. Senga, one of the lovely daughters, was so very helpful. She brought us tea and cookies daily and spent time answering any questions we had. In fact, every family member we met (we met 5 of them) was PRECIOUS! A couple of posts mentioned that someone was 'rude' to them. I don't get it: We were there three days, interacted with the owners and their family quite a bit and we observed nothing of the sort. The only thing I can think of is that shyness might have been confused with rudeness. I almost didn't choose this B&B because of those couple of posts and I'm so glad I went ahead and booked! Tom and Maura, the owners, were so gracious, polite and helpful. Tom called the garage when we had a dead battery and waited out front with us, while giving us a lesson on Irish Gaelic. They were very accommodating and attentive. I honestly cannot imagine a warmer family.

I've been in B&B's where I was very cognizant of the fact that I was staying in someone else's home. That was not the case here. The B&B was VERY professionally run. And, never for a minute did I feel like I was in someone else's space.

We stayed there for three nights and everyone in our party was 100% happy with the Shelburne Lodge. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank jgrigs
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Booked in to the Shelbourne Logde for a weekend for a special romantic getaway with my boyfriend. However when we arrived they had overbooked and could not offer us a room. The lady at the reception was most rude and not concerned at our predictament.
We were so looking forward to staying here but it did not happen.

The overall appearance did not seem very inviting either, an overgrown garden and a very dated hallway/entrance.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lovelylass58