“Gracious Hosts, Wonderful Stay”
Review of Shelburne Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kenmare
Shelburne Lodge
Ranked #6 of 60 Kenmare B&B and Inns
Fresno, California
“Gracious Hosts, Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Tom and Maura were the most gracious hosts. They welcomed us, and were very helpful with activity and eating suggestions. Breakfast was generous and delicious with plenty of choices. The room was quite large and cheery. The town center is a short walk, with plenty of places for food, drink and music. We visited the Kenmare Stone Circle on the west side of town. A dolmen grave is in the center, and the whole green is ringed by a hedge of trees. (A Witch's tree is on the edge of the stone circle -- do NOT harm it, or the prayer papers that might be attached. You might offer one of your own -- as I did, since I was driving those roads.)

Room Tip: The grounds and gardens are nice, so there are several good views. (A pheasant was prowling the und...
1 Thank Norm G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We had such an amazing stay @ the Shelburne; not only is the house beautiful but Maura and Tom were absolutely lovely. The food was delicious (Maura is a chef!) and tea by the fireplace I still think of often, with a smile. Highly recommended to anyone looking to stay in Kenmare and/or driving the Ring of Kerry.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank suzannek123
Dublin
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I made a phone booking on Wednesday June 6th, for one night, the following Sunday. My wife and I drove to Kenmare from Dublin on the Sunday. We arrived in the town at approx 3.30pm and phoned the Lodge for exact directions. At this point, my wife was told that the room we had booked had been originally booked by somebody else last January and the double booking had gone unnoticed. We were being offered other accomodation, but I hung up the phone as to me it was a way to get somebody down to Kenmare and then pawn them off to their friends in other B&B's who had room. I didn't fall for this and drove straight home again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JAGDublin
Central Point, Oregon
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Out of our vacation to Scotland and Ireland this was our favorite!! We stayed 3 nights and we were sad to leave. The house and grounds are absolutely gorgeous. The room very spacious, clean, beautiful and we had a lovely view of the grounds. Maura and Tom were so lovely as well! Breakfast was so delicious in a beautiful dining room. Highly recommend having the crab cakes if it is on the menu (they change the fish/seafood daily). They were the best I have ever had! And the Irish pancakes were incredible with the rhubarb compote over fresh yogurt. Oh my goodness! We couldn't have asked for anything more and then Maura gave me a couple of her recipes! It is within walking distance to town which is another plus. The town of Kenmare was so adorable, also one of our favorites in Ireland. Tom and Maura had suggestions for sight seeing which I am so happy that they shared with us. Made our sight seeing so doable and we were not completely exhausted afterwards. Excellent stay!! Thank you Tom and Maura!!

2 Thank Trube
Napa, California
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We did not have a reservation and "happened" into the Shelburne Lodge. Our stay was wonderful with the best breakfast of our 15 day stay in Ireland. A short, pleasant walk to town- I would highly recommend Shelburne Lodge for a stay in kenmare.

2 Thank VChi
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Kenmare was another beautiful small town we visited while traveling around Ireland. It seems to have a lot of lodging options, so it was hard to chose, but I was very pleased with our choice. Arriving in the afternoon, the large and beautiful house has its own free parking inside the charming yard. We were taken to the living room, by a nice fireplace and treated to great coffee and tea.
Rooms are on the second and third floor, and are all very charming. Mine had adjoining modernized bathroom; free wireless internet. Breakfast is served in another beautiful room, and is excellent.
The owner is very pleasant and eager to help, from history to all of the nice selections in town to eat or drink.
Downtown is about a 10 minute walk down the street from the place, a pleasant and easy walk if it is not raining. Driving there is very easy but seems unnecessary.
I was very pleased and would recommend.

2 Thank Familytraveler69
United States
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I have stayed at the Shelburne Lodge at least 15 times in the past 12 years and each time it is as hard to leave this loving, warm and comfortable inn as it was the first time. I look forward each time to the comfort of this old country house on the edge of pretty Kenmare. Tom and Maura Foley and their family are such wonderful hosts. Attentive without being intrusive. Excellent providers of local knowledge and lore. And breakfast. My goodness. It's the most important meal of the day and chef Maura Foley puts all of her passion into it. Recently we were treated to crab cakes which were the best I've ever had, smoked cod cakes another day, delicious Irish pancakes, fabulous made to order omelets, incredible arrays of fresh fruit creatively prepared including poached pear with ginger and a strawberry and rhubarb compote with a side of Irish plain yoghurt. And, there is more! You could spend a week here and never get through the various delicious breakfast options. Consider your breakfast your bonus meal of the day because you can easily pass on lunch. Rooms are exceptionally comfortable, large beds, some antique furniture, all modern comforts in the bathrooms. Original art throughout the house adds to the warmth. The drawing room is my favorite room in the house, where Tom keeps a log fire burning day and night. I love to sit there in the evenings with a bottle of wine and a book from their extensive library.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but numbers one, three, four and six are my personal favorites for double rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business