“splendid hotel”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
cork
“splendid hotel”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I stayed in this hotel with a group of friends. The hotel was reasonably priced , with pretty decor and it was spotlessly clean . Also the breakfast was delicious, especially their award winning porridge which was melt-in- the-mouth.

Stayed August 2009
1 Thank tealovercork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Looking at the exterior of the hotel I almost didn't bother venturing inside. What a mistake that would have been. The minute we walked through the doors we were welcomed by the very professional staff. In our room we were impressed by the tranquil decor, warmth, cleanliness and comfort. The decor in the hotel public areas is quality traditional. It has personality and reflects the history of the building. The Irish breakfast with homemade bread was superb, served in a beautiful dining room by friendly, efficient staff. The evening meals served in the bar were from interesting menus of delicious food obviously put together with good quality ingredients. Finally the staff. They were there when needed and went about their business in a quiet, dignified way. A credit to the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Avogil
Munich, Germany
Reviewed May 30, 2009

I've stayed at the Lansdowne Arms Hotel for three nights in late April, as part of a two week trip through southern and western Ireland. As this is a small hotel at a very reasonable price, I was quite impressed, especially by the spacious room (with a desk and a safe) and the great choice for breakfast, which can inlude a complete irish breakfast or scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and - in addittion to that - e.g. some porridge (which I can strongly recommend). Another nice feature - you can park your car behind the hotel, away from the street.

There are a few smaller drawbacks. All thoroughfares in Kenmare can have lots of traffic at times, and the hotel is at the corner of two of those roads. I had a room to the back, which I would guess to be more quiet. A few times, however, I couldn't keep the window open, for the room was relatively close to the kitchen and its ventilation shafts.

Compared to other small hotels and B&Bs on my journey in the same price-range, this was certainly the best value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank just_here
Melbourne
Reviewed January 9, 2009

I stayed at the Lansdowne for one night over Christmas with a few friends. We chose this hotel as it was the most reasonably priced in an area where 4 and 5 star hotels dominate. We only stayed one night so luxury wasnt really a top priority. BUT, overall, we were very impressed by the quality of the accomodation, it was clean and comfortable and the bar food was really great, the menu has something for everyone! I have heard reports of poor service but we did not experience this. It is down to earth Kerry hospitality!
Well worth its low rate!

• Stayed December 2008
1 Thank pixie_ie
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I stayed in the Lansdowne Arms Hotel with my wife for a weekend in October. Overall the hotel was okay but I dont think it merits some of the previous 5 star ratings. Our room and bathroom was very dated and the whole Hotel is in need of a good revamp. The bar area is nice and the reception area is okay but the room we were staying in was freezing and very dated. The food in the restaurant was also very average and never before have I seen a platter of frozen chicken wings, ribs, spring rolls on the main course in a dining room. The breakfast was fine the next morning. We are not fussy at all when it comes to hotels but this hotel was NOT good value for money. We paid Hotel prices for an average B and B at best.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Room
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catsfan
Dublin
Reviewed June 21, 2008

I have nothing bad to stay about this hotel. Everything was perfect. The food was fantasic, everything was fresh. We really enjoyed breakfast. It was all very personal and very tasty. If you go you must try their award winning poriage, It's to die for. All the staff were very helpful. We had a problem with the beds in our room and the very nice receptionist came straight up to the room and handled or problem straight away. All the bar staff were very attentive and friendly.

We went down to Kenmare because I have family down there and it was my nanny's 80th Birthday. We had dinner with the whole family and I couldn't fault a thing.

We will definatly be back to this hotel. This is a great place to stay. It is right in the middle of the town so if you want a good night out or just a bit of shopping it's perfect for both. I work in a hotel myself and am usually very judgemental when it comes to hotels but like I said there was nothing i could fault this hotel.

Highly Recommened!

• Liked — I loved eveything about this hotel. I was old but modern... Fab!!
  • Disliked — The internet access was a bit annoying . It was only available is the bar which we found very inconvenient.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed March 5, 2008

This is a great family run hotel. We paid 90 euros for a double room and thought it was great value. The rooms had antique furniture but were modern and the beds were very comfortable,The hotel itself is a beautiful converted townhouse with open fire, piano and chandelier-it is extremely well kept and sparkles from polishing. The staff are extremely friendly and accomodating and the breakfast was magnificent(especially their award winning whiskey porridge).

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple