“Kenmare Bay OK”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Dublin
“Kenmare Bay OK”
Reviewed August 27, 2014

Stayed one night. Rooms are large we had two in each but a third bed coudl be easily accommodated for families. Sports facilities very good. Well equipped gym. Good size pool with sauna and steam room. Breakfast was an excellent buffet. Staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Bar is very small but has a large room for parents who insist on not controlling their kids. We went for dinner in hotel-cum-pub across the road which was really nice. Kenmare is good spot on teh peninsula with lots of pubs and restauarants, so this hotel is good place to base yourself for a couple of days. Well reccomended.

Room Tip: Family rooms on 2nd floor were good but you can hear the odd child crying at times.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

Andrew R, General Manager at Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your stay with us. I was pleased to see that you found our location to be a good base for your visit and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we very much look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Regards,

Andrew Rees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I arrived at the hotel 15 minutes before their check-in time of 14:00 ( web said from 14:00 ) and acknowledged that I was a little early. Very quickly I was informed that check-in STARTED at 15:00 and I would have to wait as my room wasn't ready. Fair enough!

I waited half an hour before asking again ( in the meantime I watched as many other customers were given their rooms ) and this time the receptionist switched rooms to accommodate me, but left me feeling I was a nuisance! I WON't be returning, but in saying that, the bar staff were very helpful and the room was clean and functional. Nothing fancy, just what one would expect of a 3 star.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Margaret M
Dundalk
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Stayed with my husband and 2 1/2 year old daughter for one night. Staff were friendly. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from Kenmare main streets. Plenty of facilities for children with an indoor and outdoor play areas. A kids club for children over 5 year which had an activity every evening. we took our daughter to the pool and they had lots of toys available for her to play with and she loved every minute. They have a little play area in the restaurant at breakfast time to keep the little ones amused. Overall a nice clean hotel which is very child friendly which I would be happy to visit again.

1 Thank annie001Dundalk
Andrew R, General Manager at Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your stay with us. I was pleased to see that our child friendly facilities met your needs and contributed to your overall experience with us.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we would very much welcome the opportunity to have you back to stay with us in the future.

Beijing
Reviewed August 20, 2014

A great hotel located outside Kenamre town, extremely friendly staff who make you feel welcome as soon as you arrive, stayed 1 night with my wife and the rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel is quiet and child friendly. The breakfast is nice with a good choice of dishes to suit all tastes.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew R, General Manager at Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on your recent stay with us. I was very pleased to see that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us. I was also glad to see that you were warmly welcomed and that you found your accommodation to be of a high cleanliness standard and that you enjoyed the breakfast options available.

Macroom, Ireland
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Stayed there with my five year old son. Great value, good swimming pool and pleasant staff. Room was ok, what you would expect of a 3 star rating. Parking was at a premium due to an event being hosted on Sunday afternoon. This hotel does not accept American Express credit cards, highly unusual considering the amount of American tourists attracted to the area.

Overall very satisfied and would visit this child friendly establishment again.

Room Tip: Room in the new part of the building. Be prepared to hear noise from other residents on the corrido...
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to make the best of an offer from my wife's mother to mind our 1 year old toddler so the two of us booked a one night stay in Kenmare at the Kenmare Bay Hotel.

Our plan was simple:- we were going to spend the day in Kenmare town eating out and visiting the various traditional pubs, and that evening we planned to cuddle up in our hotel room and watch our favourite "House of Cards" episodes on Netflix through my laptop. Well, the hotel's wifi signal was a disaster which ruined our evening on Netflix. I enquired with the hotel reception to see what the problem was and I was told that they'd contact their maintenance department to rectify the problem. However the receptionist was unable to contact maintenance so the problem was never rectified. So we decided to go back down to Kenmare town which ended up being a great evening.

The hotel is a pretty much straight forward hotel with no frills attached. My wife and I were staying in a superior family suite but there didn't seem to be anything superior about it. We thought it was the typical standard hotel room that you'd expect from any 3-4 star hotel. However the bathroom was a fairly big size.

Another thing we found was that the bar in the hotel wasn't anything spectacular. It was very straight forward without any redeeming features. I thought as well that the Baileys Irish Cream from it tasted terrible (and my wife and I both like our occasional glass of Baileys).

During our short stay, we didn't use the hotel's restaurant, swimming pool or gym so I can't comment on them.

To sum the Kenmare Bay Hotel, the pros would be as follows: 1) the staff seemed very friendly, 2) it was reasonable value for money (at 99euro room only the hotel in a busy tourist town isn't bad), 3) the hotel is only a short 5 minute walk from the centre of the town. The cons would be as follows: 1) the terrible wifi signal needs to be addressed, 2) the bar could be revamped to improve it in someway, 3) there didn't seem to be any wow factor to the hotel.

All in all, it was a reasonable stay and I suppose we paid for what we got. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad hotel but it could do with some fine tuning.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank pmk396
london
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Its not easy to know where to begin but I was at a wedding there and stayed several times and its just wonderful. So may guests commentated that the wedding meal was the best they ever has and our guests came from all over the world. The staff are so helpful and friendly and really to sum it all up Kenmare Bay Hotel is Irish hospitality at its best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us. I was very pleased that see that you and the other wedding guests enjoyed your experience and all of us here very much appreciate your comments. I will be sure to pass them on to the team of staff here.

Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we would very much welcome the opportunity to have you back with us here at The Kenmare Bay in the future.

Andrew Rees
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
#6 of 6 in Kenmare
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#7 of 39 in Killarney

Been to Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort? Share your experiences!