“great experience”

O'Donnabhain's Guesthouse B&B & Townhouses
Ranked #2 of 61 Kenmare B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Loved staying at O'Donnabhain's. It was quiet, breakfast was great and everyone was wonderful. Great Irish music in pub. Thought it might be loud but not one bit. Everyone was so nice from the person who checked us in to the person who served us breakfast. It was quintessential Kenmare.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 7, 2013

These rooms were very spacious and clean. We were traveling with a small baby and they already had our baby cot set up, and the room was very quiet, despite being located above a bar that has live music every night. The food downstairs was great, as was the service. It was wonderful to be able to go downstairs and enjoy the pub while baby was sleeping. Kenmare was a great city, and Odonnabhain's was a very happening pub. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at O'Donnabhains for 4 nights 20th June onwards. The Hotel is at the back of the pub restaurant. No noise at all from the pub. The food is great with large helpings. The Irish music was brilliant every night.Room lovely , clean and large. Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is not your typical B&B, but is instead several rooms above O'Donnabhain's Pub. To be above a pub the room was amazingly quiet and we had no ambient noise. The room was clean and the breakfast was excellent. This place is located right in the middle of Kenmare and so once you park it's easy to see the town on foot. The staff was very polite and helpful (but it's Ireland, so everyone is). I would definitely stay there again. Oh, by the way, it is not a place to stay if you're not willing or able to climb a few stairs.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Huge room with large en-suite, right in the centre of town. The food is excellent and breakfast is recommended. Great bar and very friendly staff, who go out of their way to look after you. This personal touch is often missing when travelling alone. There is some noise, but it's on the main street, and disappears if you keep the window's closed. As I was there in a 'heatwave', and live in a city anyway, the noise didn't make the slightest difference.
I'd definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2013

There were only two of us, but we were put in a room with three beds that made the room quite crowded. We needed wifi as we were both in the middle of a job search and needed access to our emails. First night no wifi at all. I asked Jer about it in the morning and he showed me the breakfast room (which is very nice, by the way) but since I had only purchased the room, no meals, he neglected to tell me about. It had a nice sofa and chairs besides the obligatory dining area. I asked if we could be moved to a room closer to the front, less cramped, etc, but he declined. We also had trouble with the outlets and he said we had the wrong adapter...which was strange as that adapter worked at three other facilities in Ireland just fine. I felt like I was rushing him and a bit of a nuisance. The food in the pub downstairs, on the other hand, was the best I had in Ireland. I couldn't recommend the cottage pie more highly. I STILL can taste it's rich buttery goodness. Jer's wife seemed nice and the maid as well, but I just didn't get that sense of the welcoming Irish that I has read so much about. I will try a different B&B when I return (as I most assuredly will), but will definitely return for that cottage pie!

Room Tip: As to be placed toward the front if wifi is important to you. I would also book the room and meals...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great place! The rooms are large with large I suite bathrooms. It is located right on the Main Street in Kenmare just steps away from shopping restaurants and pubs! The owner, Vanesa, was fantastic! She was welcoming and an excellent chef! She does all the cooking for the B&B, both breakfast and the Pub downstairs! We had only booked one night but made a point to come back for a se cond night! This is the best B&B we've stayed in in Ireland!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple