“An Irish Delight”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Paignton
“An Irish Delight”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Sheen Falls overlooking the river is just idyllic. Our room overlooked the falls and the sound of rushing water was so soothing. The room was excellent very large with a big bathroom. Dinner in the restaurant was like being on Titanic with the piano playing then there were other musicians on other nights. All of a very high standard. Excellent pool Well done to the new owners

• Stayed September 2013
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Martin R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Sheen Falls Lodge & for being so generous in your review. I am delighted that you mentioned our local musicians "The Reel Women" & Conor & Tara Viscardi they are a wonderful addition to our house piano player Jim Keily.

I hope to welcome you back to Kenmare & Sheen Falls Lodge in the future please do send me an email to make any arrangements.

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Moate, Ireland
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We recently revisited this hote, upon getting a bargain deal on one of the booking sites. I was delighted to see, that even in this recession, a hotel like this that offers a truly memorable but understated stylish experience can thrive despite being in the grips of recession.
Yet again, this hotel did not fail to impress. The room on our first night was slightly chilly and upon mentioning it to the concierge the following morning there was immediately an extra heater placed in the room to ensure my pregnant wife did not feel too cold. The only way I can sum up the customer service is 'No request is too big or too small'.. Simply heaven. Remains the finest hotel I have ever been to. To me this is the yard stick for all 5* hotels in Ireland and it still remains the best.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Fitzer 12,

Thank you for returning to us and for posting a second review of your experience! I am delighted that we measured up on both occasions and that you enjoyed the experience so much. We are always here to help and serve please do email me directly should you wish to make future plans for a break away.

Cork
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a one night stay at Sheen Falls Lodge. From the moment we arrived we were made feel very welcome. The location of the hotel is just fantastic even though it is November the falls look beautiful. Our room overlooked the falls and it was very spacous with a very comfortable large bed and a beauitful bathroom which had lovely soft towels.. We dined in the La Cascade restaurant and we can understand why this is an award winning restaurant, the food was amazing, presented and tasted beautiful. The service was second to none, all staff were so friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and hope to return in the near future.

Dear DelCork,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience. I hope that we can welcome you back here in the future please do email me directly to assist with any requirements you may have.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We got a great 3 night off season deal and were so pleased with our stay. The grounds are amazing, beautifully planted and historical. The falls themselves are spectacular by day or by night with the very effective floodlighting . We had a large room overlooking the Bay with a supersized comfortable bed, a fine sized bathroom and all the mod cons including a Nepresso machine.
The breakfast is oustanding both the buffet and the many and varied hot options. There were excellent and varied fruit choices, fantastic homemade meusli, freshly squeezed juices, home made breads and pastries, smoked salmon , cold meats , a top class cheese board and more. We had omlettes, egg royale and the fresh fish during our stay and all were excellent. There was also french toast , pancakes, bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese and even steak and eggs- you could stay 2 weeks and have a different hot breakfast every day!
Food is generally not a hotels core focus so normally hotel meals are not as good as restaurants. The opposite is true in Sheen Falls. We had 2 dinners as part of our package and they were top class and well superior to the meal we had on the third night in the highly recommended restaurant in Kenmare. The scallops and port belly starters were gorgeous . The seafood linguini was better even than those I have eaten in Italy. The chocolate dessert was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten and all this beautiful food was served in a classy diningroom overlooking the Sheen Falls

The leisure centre has been newly done up and everything works, is spanking clean and has the most beautiful aroma throughout. The pool is beautiful but not best suited for those who want to swin as excercise however in this quiet time it was fine. Every need is catered for in the changing rooms down to hair conditioner, hair straighteners, bathing suit dryers, make up removal pads etc. If we had one small quibble it was that the booking.com description said there was a gym and hot tub. Apparently the leisure centre was renovated this year and the old gym removed with plans to build a new gym before next season. We got our excercise instead from cycling on the complimentary bikes provided by the hotel, doing hte river and queens walks on the grounds and a game of tennis on the tennis court provided free for guest use

The staff at Sheen Falls are clearly carefully chosen and well trained. They were without exception pleasent, friendly, accommodating and helpful. They also were proactive in anticpating your every need and ensuring you enjoyed your stay. The leadership was provided by the Hotel Manager Patrick. There were some super staff in the Leisure Centre whose names I do not know and there was similarly a top class lady working in housekeeping who through simple things gave first class service as did Emilie in the bar and Anna, Ciaran and Youhan in the restaurant

Sheen Falls naturally is expensive in high season but hopefully it will retain its good offers in the off-season and we definitelyl be back. We have already spread the word to family and friends

It is the little touches, the desire to ensure guests fell pampered and everything being just so that sets Sheen Falls apart and deserving of its 5 star rating

Many thanks for a great stay

Room Tip: Try getting a falls view
1 Thank tuarbeag
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Tuarbeag,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for spending the time to write such a kind review of your recent stay. We are delighted that you had such a great time with us and in the area around the hotel. As you say there is lots to do here and that is one of the main assets of Sheen Falls a couple can spend days and weeks doing new and exciting activities daily. Our best asset however will always be our team - my colleagues are a fantastic group of people with whom its a privilege to work; whether its in the Kitchen preparing all the meals which you so enjoyed or out front serving our guests in various ways we all focus on each guests experience. They will all be really happy to read your comments.

I hope that we can welcome you back again we will continue offer great value please do email me when you are thinking of a trip away I'll ensure you're looked after.

Warments Regards,
Ringoes, New Jersey
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Did one night at the lodge with family (20 year old, 18 year old and spouse). Not busy, so we got a fantastic two room suite overlooking the falls. Didn't dine there, but service paid to us was top notch. Only disappointment was the €19 for tea/coffee upon check in. It was suggested to us as we checked in, so I thought it was complimentary. Beautiful views and easy access to the Ring of Kerry, Ring of Beara and Killkenney.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sejlriceRingoesNJ
Dear SejlriceRingoesNJ,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Sheen Falls Lodge and that our service was so good. I know you arrived in quite early from Shannon and that tea & coffee was offered to you this should have been handled better and I am sorry about that. Thankfully though everything else went really well so perhaps on your return you could email me directly and I will personally ensure you have another wonderful time in Kenmare.

Warmest Regards
cheshire united kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed at Sheen Falls recently for three nights. We had a fabulous room overlooking the falls. The service was excellent - apart from the barman who refused to make me an Irish coffee at midnight as he had, "Cleaned the machine" !! The lovely concierge, Anthony did say that he would sort something out but I declined his kind offer.
Breakfasts at the hotel were superb and made for a wonderful relaxing start to the day.The hotel was all about warmth and comfort, roaring fires and candlelight. We really, really didn't want to leave and hope to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear h0lly28,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us & spending time to leave a review. The great thing about leaving is you get to be excited about coming back! We would love to welcome you back and I personally assure you that as with my colleague Anthony you will be able to get what you want when you want it. Delighted you enjoyed our breakfasts and the overall ambiance of relaxation

Please do email me to arrange your next visit.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We had given Sheen Falls a miss for a few years as it had got quite delapidated and wasn't a fan of the previous English GM.
Prior to this,we had been visiting for many years and absolutely loved it. We got engaged there and had spent many super weekends there. It is a truly beautiful location (try and get a room overlooking the falls).
We went back a couple of weekends ago. It's star is rising again. The staff were excellent, especially Anna and Youhan who were so friendly and the new GM Patrick is fantastic. The hotel is in the middle of being done up, it will be beautiful when finished (note the gym is currently not in use, if that's something you interested in)
The food was excellent. Breakfast, which is such a treat in a hotel, was genuinely excellent. Best breakfast in a hotel bar none.
Was nearly loathe to give it such a good write up on TripAdvisor, for fear we won't get a booking next time we are looking to go down, but I couldn't do that. They deserve it!
Looking forward to visiting soon again. Best wishes to all the staff and thanks for making our trip so wonderful. Emma and Cormac.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the falls!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emmadon
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear Emma & Cormac,

It was a pleasure to welcome you both back to Sheen Falls Lodge, thank you for making the trip to Kenmare once again. Its always nice to know when someone has departed looking forward to their next visit. My colleagues, most of whom are here for a long number of years including Yohan & Anna, are dedicated to their guests experiences; Breakfast was one of the areas where we saw a lot of room for improvement and its wonderful that you have endorsed this change. Certainly we are moving things forward in terms of the look and feel of the property, we are very fortunate to have new owners who are willing to invest in SFL & Kenmare as a destination. I am also fortunate to be starting now when this is happening as I know the last few years have not been so bright.

Please do email me to make any future bookings I shall personally look after your requirements

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Park Hotel Kenmare
Lake Hotel
#7 of 38 in Killarney
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,061 reviews
Parknasilla Resort & Spa

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!