“Really lovely stay”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed August 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights on a package that included dinner in la cascade and two massages. We really had a lovely stay in this hotel. I like that it maintains a little of the ramshackle, half chaotic feel that great country house hotels have, with lots of lovely five star touches. Our room over looked the falls, and it was amazing waking up to the sound of the water. The room was lovely, particularly the enormous comfy bed and the really luxurious bathroom - perhaps the peaches and cream decor is a bit dated but I think that it probably suits the building.

La Cascade was one of the nicest meals I've ever had. I'm a vegetarian and it was great to have a menu with three starters and mains on it especially for us;-). The food was super, the wine delicious, the service a leeeeeetle slow but I think that is reflective of the staff trying to give diners time to enjoy the experience. We sat out after dinner looking over the falls - it was magic.

Massages were super, thanks to the staff in the health centre. We didn't actually go to the pool, as the weather was great and we got out and about instead!

There were one or two little things that niggled. One glass that came with the prosecco that was part of our package had a chip on it (we worked away but it was a little dangerous!). It also would have been nice to have tea and coffee and a fridge in the room - just to enjoy the lovely surroundings with a cold or hot drink.

Over all, it was an excellent stay and highly recommended. Most importantly of all, the staff are polite, friendly, professional and helpful. They couldn't do enough and it is in them that this hotel really deserves its five star rating. We saw no salmon rising but can hardly blame the hotel for that! A real treat!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrsmaggot
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear "Mrsmaggot",

Thank you sincerely on behalf of all the team in the kitchen & the restaurant for your very kind comments on your meal in La Cascade - for a chef who wont see 90% of guests its always very rewarding to get such feedback and all my team are chuffed that you enjoyed your meal so much. - We hope to prepare many more meals for you in the future
Phillip Brazil
Executive Head Chef - Sheen Falls Lodge pbrazil@sheenfallslodge.ie

Dear "Mrsmaggot"
We all greatly appreciate the 5 Star review thank you for spending the time to write this about your stay - we certainly take on board all your thoughts and note that you were overall very happy with your experience. Everyone of the team here strives to make all our guests happy & will be most pleased that you had a really great time.

Certainly we will review areas where things were not 100% right and we will make improvements quickly.

We hope to welcome you back to Sheen Falls Lodge in the near future

There are newer reviews for Sheen Falls Lodge

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were attracted to the special 3 nights for 2
The service exceeded our expectations
The staff were very friendly and smiling
As part of the offer we were offered 2 dinners
One in the Oscar Bistro and the second in the La Cascade
Both were delicious and we were delighted to find the Oscar meal was equal in standard to the
more exclusive Cascade
We opted for a deluxe Falls view room and were not disappointed with the comfiest bed and upmarket bedding
The furnishing was a bit tired but I believe there is a programme of upgrading
The gardens were magnificent and the whole experience was relaxing and worth the four hours journey to get there
A highlight was the performance of the enchanting Tara and Conor showing the best of young Ireland
I could listen forever Wonderful

Hopefully we will return
Keep the special offers coming
Deirdre

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with an enchanting view of the wonderful Falls
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DeirdreC,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a very complimentary review of your recent stay. We do always try our best to exceed the expectations and we are very happy that you were suitably impressed. Its correct to say that we are undergoing an upgrade of the entire property & estate this will be completed in 2014. I have passed your comments onto Tara & Conor who play on Thursday's & Sundays' they are excellent we also have music on Friday's & Saturday's with "The Reel Women" we are delighted to have both these local groups play for our guests.

I hope to welcome you back in the near future should you wish to do so please drop me an email and I will look after all requirements

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I visited Shen falls last week for the first time, what a very special place.it is situated beside a waterfall and with the sound of the water and the view of many salmon jumping up on their journey to spawn , it set the scene.
The hotel is quality and the staff very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent and the breakfasts held in a beautiful dining room with views both over the river and out to the sea inlet.
Kenmare town is about a mile away and the night life in the pubs with excellent Irish music is worth going to experience.
Overall , I can highly recommend a visit and I intend to return very soon.

Room Tip: A room with the sound of the falls makes sleep a very tranquil experience.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Noel R
Patrick H, Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear Noel R,

Thank you for your very complimentary review of your recent stay with us and your visit to the Kenmare area. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much. Should you wish to return to Kenmare please email me directly and I will take care of your requests

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Just back from a wonderful relaxing 3 day weekend @ Sheen falls lodge . Such a beautiful setting, we were lucky to have a room overlooking the falls which if a little loud is really relaxing.. There's no volume setting button on nature !!
The grounds are well kept and extensive for walking, not too far to walk into Kenmare either.

The deluxe rooms are very spacious with huge beds, complimentary water and fruit. Bathrooms are also spacious ..all marble and spotless, there's a turn down service every evening
That's enough about the rooms ... the staff as everyone else has said were wonderful ...always attentive and friendly, many French staff which I loved as it gave me a chance to practice !! This it appears as a result of being within the Relais de Chateaux which is a great opportunity for everyone.
Very professional and friendly staff in the Spa where I enjoyed an excellent massage from Emma and a treatment from Rose-Marie.
The food was really good in both Oscars restaurant and in La Cascade. Fresh and innovative with a divine gooseberry soufflé to finish !! Lots of seafood choices
Breakfast was really good, freshly cooked to order and a huge choice. It was a little chaotic but the hotel was full and this can be expected, the staff more than made up for it... from Patrick to Sebastian, Florian and Quentin to name but a few. All in all a wonderful experience...

Room Tip: If you enjoy sound of water ... ask for a room overlooking the Falls .. we had 203 amazing !!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amandpm

Chere Amandpm,

Merci beaucoup pour votre merveilleuse commentaire au sujet de notre hotel and toute mon equipe vous remercie que vous avez passe un bon sejour a kennmare et nous esperons vous avoir parmis nous durant un prochain sejour

Sebastien et toute l equipe.

Dear Amandpm
Following the note of thanks from my colleague Sebastien & on behalf of the entire team here at Sheen Falls Lodge thank you for your review and we hope to see you back in Kenmare in the near future. Please do contact me directly to look after any arrangements required - A La Prochaine!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a last minute overnight stay at Sheen Falls and we got an excellent rate for dinner bed & breakfast. We were looked after on arrival by Fionnuala was warm & friendly. There was a very beautiful mural rby a local artist recently installed. Our room was very large and beautifully appointed with a large bathroom with bath & shower.

We quickly changed for dinner as we arrive quite late. The dining room is very spacious & well laid with lots of room between the tables. Tables for couples were on a separate level to larger tables & enjoyed great views of the Falls. Food was superb and the wine list was extensive but perhaps a little 'too safe". service was excellent & nothing was too much trouble.

Sadly, we had to leave early the next morning but we were very impressed with our stay. We would look forward to going back again for a longer stay and the area and town of Kenmare offers so much. It's a long journey to get here but but certainly worthwhile.

Room Tip: Our room without a Falls view was appointed exactly the same as the Falls view rooms and also same l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EilisC
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear EilisC,

Many thanks for your very generous review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you had such a great experience and all my colleagues will enjoy reading your feedback as we print and post all reviews and feedback onto our internal notice boards.

I hope to welcome you back to Sheen Falls Lodge in the future I know Kenmare is a bit of a spin but as you say its worth the trip.

Please email me directly and I will personally look after your booking.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had an awesome 5 day stay at Sheen Falls at the beginning of July. First off, the scenery in Kerry is stunning and Kenmare is for sure the jewel on the Ring of Kerry! It's a cute, clean little town, with great cafes and restaurants and the people are so friendly. I felt right at home there. As for Sheen Falls, the location of the hotel is very convenient and the grounds/surrounding views are lovely! I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the grounds with my camera. I stayed in a Bay View room, which was very spacious, clean and had all the amenities I needed (except a bar fridge). The full Irish breakfast was delish, as was the continental (fresh fruit, croissants, cereal, tea etc.) and all enjoyed from the comforts of my room overlooking the Bay with tide out each morning. Ate dinner at Oscar's Bistro one night. Our group had an assortment of dishes including steak, lobster, prawns, lamb pie etc., as well as desserts - all were fabulous - a credit to Chef Phillip! In fact, the hotel staff were all amazing - so friendly, inviting and great for a chat! Overall, I had a great stay at the Sheen Falls and I absolutely loved Kenmare! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying there on my next visit to Ireland for sure!

Room Tip: Apparently most people want the Falls view, but I loved looking out over the Bay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ash O

Dear Ash O,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience - being a native of Kerry I agree fully that this is a beautiful place! I am delighted that your Oscars experience was so good we have a great team in our kitchens lead By Philip Brazil.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare in the near future.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

dropped on this hotel by chance at about 6ok .negotiated an appropriate rate.had a luxuries room over looking the rapids of the river next to the hotel.reception was very welcoming and explained all the sevices.we ate in the bistro and the food was excellent.very clean everywhere.breakfast was individually cooked to order ...superb.we were tired as touring ,slept like a top.the grounds are beautiful ,we photographed a salmon jumping out of the river,would definitely stop again. the spa was nice but the pool design was not conclusive to swimming a length.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Yentocs,

Thank you for your very kind comments on your recent visit - I note that you happened upon us and I am delighted that it was a very pleasant experience for you. I hope that the next time you are planning a trip you would consider us once more. Please feel free to contact me directly and I shall be happy to make the required arrangements for you.

Tel: +353 (0)64 6640001
E-mail: phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie
Web: www.sheenfallslodge.ie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Lake Hotel
Lake Hotel
#9 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!