“Beautiful spot! Great experience!”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful spot! Great experience!”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had an awesome 5 day stay at Sheen Falls at the beginning of July. First off, the scenery in Kerry is stunning and Kenmare is for sure the jewel on the Ring of Kerry! It's a cute, clean little town, with great cafes and restaurants and the people are so friendly. I felt right at home there. As for Sheen Falls, the location of the hotel is very convenient and the grounds/surrounding views are lovely! I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around the grounds with my camera. I stayed in a Bay View room, which was very spacious, clean and had all the amenities I needed (except a bar fridge). The full Irish breakfast was delish, as was the continental (fresh fruit, croissants, cereal, tea etc.) and all enjoyed from the comforts of my room overlooking the Bay with tide out each morning. Ate dinner at Oscar's Bistro one night. Our group had an assortment of dishes including steak, lobster, prawns, lamb pie etc., as well as desserts - all were fabulous - a credit to Chef Phillip! In fact, the hotel staff were all amazing - so friendly, inviting and great for a chat! Overall, I had a great stay at the Sheen Falls and I absolutely loved Kenmare! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will be staying there on my next visit to Ireland for sure!

Room Tip: Apparently most people want the Falls view, but I loved looking out over the Bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ash O
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Ash O,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your experience - being a native of Kerry I agree fully that this is a beautiful place! I am delighted that your Oscars experience was so good we have a great team in our kitchens lead By Philip Brazil.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare in the near future.

Warmest Regards

phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

dropped on this hotel by chance at about 6ok .negotiated an appropriate rate.had a luxuries room over looking the rapids of the river next to the hotel.reception was very welcoming and explained all the sevices.we ate in the bistro and the food was excellent.very clean everywhere.breakfast was individually cooked to order ...superb.we were tired as touring ,slept like a top.the grounds are beautiful ,we photographed a salmon jumping out of the river,would definitely stop again. the spa was nice but the pool design was not conclusive to swimming a length.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Yentocs,

Thank you for your very kind comments on your recent visit - I note that you happened upon us and I am delighted that it was a very pleasant experience for you. I hope that the next time you are planning a trip you would consider us once more. Please feel free to contact me directly and I shall be happy to make the required arrangements for you.

Tel: +353 (0)64 6640001
E-mail: phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie
Web: www.sheenfallslodge.ie
istanbul
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This property does not connect the dots.
Not thinking about the end customer experience. They are selling a product and not an experience.
Should take a lesson from American hoteliers that are promoting not the room inventory but the feeling that the property leaves you with .
Staff was nice but not trained.

1 Thank wicked123
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Wicked123,

Many thanks for your review - I am sorry that your stay was not to your liking I would really like to get some more details from you on the various aspects which were not to your liking - if you could contact me directly on phanley@sheenfallslodge.ie I can address this issues.

Los Angeles
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Sheen Falls Lodge was the first stop for our family in a six week tour of Ireland. We stayed in one of the "cottages," which was actually a very private and spacious four bedroom house, albeit with a thatched roof, with all the modern amenities we enjoy at home. Even though we were not in the hotel, we received active support from the hotel staff who provided excellent service. The property manager, Patrick Hanley, went out of his way to make our stay comfortable and even helped us select and plan some of our remaining destinations and activities. We highly recommend Sheen Falls Lodge for first class accommodations and service in a particularly beautiful part of Ireland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nido6
Dear Nido6,

Thank you for your review I am delighted you had such an enjoyable visit to Sheen Falls Lodge & with the rest of your visit to Ireland. I hope that you got to take in as many of the suggested places as possible and had a pleasant journey home.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Kenmare in the near future.

Dublin
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sheen Falls Lodge did not disappoint. The location is simply superb and the accommodation and food only add to the overall experience. We stayed for three nights in a suite overlooking the bay. The staff were friendly and efficient, in particular Joe on the front door and Sebastian in the restaurant could not have been more helpful. Kenmare itself was buzzing with the Food Festival resulting in a great atmosphere. The stay was everything we hoped it would be and look forward to our next visit. Finally if the view alone as you walk out the front door of the hotel on a sunny day does not lift your spirits then Kerry is not the place for you.

1 Thank kiosk62
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Kiosk62,

Many thanks for your very kind words we are delighted you enjoyed your visit to Sheen Falls & Kenmare during our annual Food Carnival. The Carnival is a wonderful event and really shows the town in its best light. I hope to welcome you back to Sheen Falls in the near future I will pass your comments onto my colleagues they will be delighted - if you would like to be kept up to date on the Food Carnival or other events which are planned for the area please feel free to email me directly and I will ensure your kept in the loop.

Warmest Regards

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in July. The location is great - we had a bay view room on the second floor and had a lovely view over the bay. Similarly the rooms at the back face onto the falls and offer a very nice view. Breakfast we had in our room and it was fine - an Irish breakfast on both mornings. We ate in Oscars restaurant on one of the evenings and whilst the food and wine were good, the menu I thought was extremely limited for a 5 star. Irrespective of whether or not you go to a fine dining restaurant or casual you would expect a good selection and there just wasn't. For example if you would like fish you have to have it as part of something else - so they had sole with cockles and muscles or a fish platter or lobster etc. but no individual sole, trout, sea bass etc. I had a lamb pie which was nice but had hardly any lamb actually in it. My partner had the steak and was very happy with that so mixed fortunes. The wine and starter were both good. The room we had was done up recently and was in good order. No air con in our room or in any of the public spaces that I could see so it may sometimes get a little warm Oh yes and 1 more thing there is a fire on in the reception area - it was 30 degrees outside - why would a fire be on? Even if its just an effect fire and not giving out any heat why would you have it on ....bizarre....
Reception staff were nice and friendly as was the porter. Bar staff seemed efficient and the restaurant staff were all OK. Again in the restaurant I didn't really get the whole 5 star feeling / treatment that you tend to get in other 5 star hotels. I will return here but probably in the in winter this time as there is a nice library which would would be cosy overlooking the bay.

1 Thank max29
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Max 29,

Thank you for your review we greatly appreciate it when we get feedback - I am delighted that you will return. We do have 10 starters 10 main courses & 5 desserts in our casual restaurant Oscars of the 20 dishes 12 are seafood dishes including our daily Fish Special, Today's is Halibut and is available in all dining facilities I am sorry if this was unclear or not communicated correctly to you. I also note that you had some suggestions perhaps we could discuss further? Please email me directly so we can discuss in detail at a time that is convenient to you.

Many Thanks,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2013

A stunning setting of an old manor house that has grown into a bit of a sprawling resort. A vintage Rolls Royce was sitting outside, so we felt in good company as we parked up in our Rolls Canardly (it rolls down hills but can hardly get up them). It reminds me of a golf club house, with its own eccentricity, which some will find charming. As you will see from other reviews, breakfast really is a farce, which will either make you laugh out loud, or make you spit your corn flakes in anger. It comes straight from a scene in Fawlty Towers, with guests told to linger around the prunes and bran flakes before being frog-marched to a table and told to sit down. Order the full Irish cooked breakfast, but expect the salmon and scrambled eggs. Both are very well cooked, so it doesn't really matter. The two male waiters (Quentin and Joao) don't appear to get on, as they tend to work independently, thus causing chaos for the guests and the other staff working with them. One poor waitress looked as though she was running the steeplechase between these two pouting males, the tables and the kitchen. Our room was well decorated and very clean. If you can keep your sense of humour, when all about you are eating black pudding when they ordered the goat's cheese, you will enjoy your stay, but if you stay more than a couple of nights, prepare to go nuts, whole hazel nuts...oooh.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Arthurlonius
Patrick H, General Manager at Sheen Falls Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Arthurlonius,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay. As you know from our correspondence we have recently been taken on the responsibility of management here at Sheen Falls Lodge. I am sorry that the breakfast element of your stay was not to the required standard certainly we are addressing this with urgency and thank you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Kenmare Bay Hotel & Resort
#10 of 38 in Killarney
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!