“Stunning setting and wonderful staff”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've never stayed in a hotel room with such a fantastic view!
My room, a signature suite, had a balcony with a view extending 180 degrees from the falls on one side to the bay on the other.
Every member of staff I encountered were charming and friendly, nothing was too much trouble, they really looked after me, true 5* service.
I had a light lunch and cocktails in the bar both of which were delicious though unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to try the restaurant as I was eating elsewhere.
I spent a long time just walking around the grounds of the hotel and taking in the natural beauty of the waterfalls and countryside.
Even when I stumbled back to the hotel at 5am, slightly the worse for wear, the night porter greeted me with a huge smile and suggested that I could take a late breakfast in my room next morning (good idea) and helped me complete an order card.
Later that morning I enjoyed a great breakfast listening to the waterfalls and gazing at scenery.
I'd previously stayed in The Park in Kenmare, the other 5* hotel in Kenmare, I prefer Sheen Falls.
Can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Signature suite with balcony and views of both falls and bay.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Geoff_B_Dublin

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed here with my husband and baby. The staff were excellent, very friendly and attentive. The food was delicious. The room was really lovely and kept very clean throughout our 3 night stay. The hotel itself is fab, and the grounds are really lovely, however it is a little outside kenmare so you have to drive to get to anywhere outside the hotel. This is its only downfall really.
I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Debbie K
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Lovely hotel, rooms need updating and corridors have lots of different levels.
Staff excellent, really helpful.
Views fabulous, couldn't wish for nicer.
Hotel only few minutes walk from kenmare town but too far to walk
Hotel not cheap, couldn't believe cost of drinks at the bar.
Leisure centre nice but again a bit dated.
All in all nice but not really what I'd call 5 star facilities

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here while touring Cork and Kerry on our honeymoon. We arrived at Sheen Falls on the most beautiful Summer day. The staff were friendly and we were given a room with a view of the waterfall.
The room was large and spacious but a bulb was out and another was hanging loose from the ceiling in the bathroom.
I was disappointed as this is a five star hotel and I would expect higher quality from a four star.

We had lunch in the bar but my wife's meal wasn't as described in the menu (a key garnish in the description was not on the plate). On raising this to the staff, they did not understand what we meant. The staff brought the dish to the chef and returned with the missing garnish a number of minutes later. We were both disappointed with the time it took to correct this and the lack of empathy.
The grounds were great and they provided many amenities, saying that,I was surprised that the hotel did not offer a shuttle service from the hotel to nearby Kenmare. Kenmare, a small Irish village, is a key selling point to Sheen Falls and unfortunately not exploited. Again, I have seen service like this in lower rated hotels.
The pool facilities were good but the shower beside the sauna was out of order and a portion of tiling near the pool was covered in duct tape. Again, not five star quality.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MickOR
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Sheen Falls Lodge is a beautiful venue with a first rate and professional staff. We stayed in the villas, a beautiful set of thatched roof cottages. Initially we were in "The Green" and had some problems with the heating. Patrick, the wonderfully accommodating general manager, upgraded us to Villa Rosa, and comped our dinner. Way above and beyond what was expected--thank you! Tim was a cheerful and oh so helpful member of the staff, who has been at Sheen Falls for 19 years (says a lot about the dedication of these folks). Tim was our instructor for skeet shooting, and we had a blast. When we called for a taxi to take us to Kenmare, Tim showed up in the Lodge's 1936 Buick--so fun, and every eye was on us as we arrived in Gatsby style downtown at the Coachman's for a night of music. All in all, a memorable visit for the whole family. We will return as soon as possible.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Oceantics
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The grounds are spectacular and overlook Kenmare Bay, just outside the town of Kenmare. The hotel is immaculate with large spacious rooms and marble bathrooms there are an impressive array of activities available to guests. The breakfast provided was one of the best we enjoyed in Ireland.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Kenmare Bay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iam3
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I loved Sheen Falls. The rooms were fantastic. The activities were interesting. But the very best was the remarkable staff. Hats off to Tim, who I think must secretly own the place...that is how wonderful and attentive he was. And kudos to Mack, who must have a big interest too. What a lovely stay. Go. You will not regret it.

• Stayed: May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney
14 mi away
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!