“New Ownership”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This wonderful hotel and its lodges have found new owners full of enthusiasm to take the next step forward to make it more attractive and welcoming than it already was. Try the Lodges for that away from it all romantic saty with all the benefits of the hotel and the added luxury of these beatifully appointed homes.

Room Tip: Try the country club
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank McCarthy10

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is about a mile from kenmare, free WiFi,pool area is ok but the locker room is very small,no lockers to put your bag and no basin to have a shave,breakfast was very good and the staff were very attentive

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I was staying in Kenmare last weekend at a different hotel but went to visit friends who were staying in Sheen Falls for lunch on Saturday.

We were really excited about our day there as I have stayed in Sheen Falls once before, about 4 years ago and it was a really pleasant experience and I remember the service being so fantastic.

This time however there was a huge difference and I couldn't help but notice how shabby the hotel was particularly in the bar. It needs a major renovation. I generally love "older" hotels but it just did not appeal to me at all. Perhaps it was the overall experience that just turned me off. The main problem was with one barman who really didn't seem to understand the term- customer service.

One of my friends found an ant in her soup (when it was almost finished) and told us that there had been lots of ants in the pool earlier that morning too. We were all hesitant to complain but in the end I quietly and politely told the barman about the ant and he took the bowl away straight away but pretty much avoided us after that for about 30minutes. He seemed stressed and kept making it very obvious through body language and facial expressions that he was under pressure. After about 30 minutes my friend was offered a complimentary coffee or champagne for her issue with the ant. There was loads of other small issues too that seem petty now but just made the overall experience very unpleasant and left us with a very bad opinion of the hotel. One small example was that the barman gave two young children, who ordered two soft drinks, a bowl of complimentary drink snacks for their table, despite us spending a nice amount on our bottle of wine after lunch. The food was very fair and my toasted cheese and chutney sandwich was soggy and only toasted on one side and was served with some limp looking leaves. Again, just not a five star meal.

Our friends who were staying there were also very disappointed with the way they were treated by the lady at reception when they were being checked in. We take weekend breaks as often as we can and really would not be fussy customers but I just cannot understand how Sheen Falls has such a good reputation after our experience there. It was really not 5 star quality at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NC63
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Sheen Falls Lodge is a delightfully, elegant hotel situated on the banks overlooking the Falls. The hotel, although charming, could use some updating, especially when you compare it to other 5 star hotels that we stayed at throughout Ireland. My sister and I took a lovely walk around the property and even got lost in the adjoining mini forest... Perhaps our favorite part of this stop was our walk through Kenmare, and all the adorable little shops and eateries in the small town. Quintessential Ireland! Would love to return one day, but only for 1 night. Two was one too many for us.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tamara Z
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at Sheen Falls Lodge last weekend and first thing I noticed on arrival was that the hotel was shabby looking and needed to be repainted. It is in a beautiful location and the falls are fabulous. It is a 5 star but isn't really, the room was a good size but no fridge (I can get over that) but no tea/coffee making facilites which I think is a must in a 5 star! Also the pillows were too soft, they were all puffed up until you put your head on them and then they went flat so not a good nights sleep. We went for 1 night with evening meal included and we ate in the Cascade restaurant which I must say the food was fabulous, absolutely no complaints, the staff were very attentive without being too intrusive. The breakfast was a different story overall it was fine but the sausages were revolting, there were like garlic and herb flavour and were too strong for our tastes and the eggs were still raw on top. We were there with a gift voucher (and had I have been paying for it myself I would have looked at my money twice) it cost for 1 night €288 for 2 people for b&b & evening meal which is a bit pricey for what you get. I didn't try any of the treatments or see the pool area so can't comment on that aspect Would I go back - No

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MurHanafin
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A recent invitation from my Scrawny friend to help him spend a Groupon voucher in the Sheen Falls was met with obvious enthusiasm.

The hotel is located on the outskirts of the beautiful town of Kenmare and has a significant number of attributes which far outweigh the negatives.

The pros are:
The hotel is situated beside a river with beautiful woodland walks.
Bedrooms are very large and comfortable and have a decent size bathroom and tub
There are many reception rooms with large log fires which invite guests to ......well, be received
The food in the hotel was excellent for both breakfast and dinner.
It is located a short walk from Kenmare town
There is an abundance of books in the library as well as board games and puzzles. I played connect four with my scrawny friend but he proceeded to cheat when I was winning!

The cons
The spa area was very disappointing. Men's changing rooms was very tired and needs to be modernised. Alas the jacuzzi was out of order for the duration of our stay

Overall, I would gladly return to this hotel. There are two 5 star hotels in Kenmare, the park and sheen falls. While I preferred my stay at the former, I think the latter offers better value for money (at least the bargain we got)

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank ThomasheenOgRua
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was looking for something special for my wife's birthday (which is also only a few days short of Valentine's!). We are only married 6 weeks and rarely get time to see on another so I looked into the Relais & Châteaux range of hotels.

We'd stayed in the Cliff House hotel in Ardmore and had a wonderful time and wanted to capture the same experience albeit in new surroundings.

The first striking thing about Sheen Falls is the location. Kerry is a beautiful county, the hotel takes full advantage of that situated beside a rushing rock river and bay.

On arrival staff were very friendly, professional. I'd booked one of their four 'signature rooms' with panoramic views of the bay and surrounding area. The room was very cosy and quiet quiet too.

We ate both in the bar and the LA Cascade restaurant. While booking our reservation, they approached *me* about reservations to both the restaurant and Spa (the spa part of the package booked). Very proactive and really helpful.

The weekend, otherwise, was very quiet. Not for a lack of activities mind, shooting, walking, wine tasting amount other things are available to guests, we didn't avail of and in hindsight, something I regret a little.

One critisim of the stay was that our signature suite did not have a stocked fridge nor tea/coffee making facilities and to order tea to the room was quite pricy! But be aware that not all rooms are the same, it might be an idea to ask in advance if those things can be made available. I forgot a charger to my tablet and the hotel was quick to help, I'm sure that for tea/coffee they'd do the same.

Finally, the bar staff were fantastic. Mick and I struck it off very quickly and he came along to wish us the best as we ate breakfast on the last day of our stay.

I'd heartily recommend Sheen Falls for a quiet, relaxed time away.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Brendan B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#14 of 38 in Killarney
14 mi away
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!