“reliable choice in County Kerry”
Review of Sheen Falls Lodge

Sheen Falls Lodge
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Located on a large parcel of land approximately 5 minutes by car from the town of Kenmare. . We found the hotel to be well run and well appointed. The hotel's extensive grounds are lovely. Excellent choice in the vicinity of the Rings of Baera and Kerry. Get a room overlooking the waterfall if possible.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank road-ny

Reviewed February 17, 2008

The scenery, the staff, the fires, the bedroom, the food, all fantsastic. This is the best hotel I ever stayed in. Romantic, magical, mystical, atmospheric!!!! I want to move in. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cartim
Reviewed January 1, 2008

From the moment my wife and I drove up to Sheen Falls we knew we were in for a terrific time. We could see a huge, beautifully-lit Chrtistams tree in the distance and couldn't wait to start our stay which we booked via Relais & Chateau. Our car was taken from us by the valet who also took care of the luggage - a seemless arrival. Then a magnificently decorated lobby with log fires awaited us - we were personally greeted by the General manager of the hotel. Check-in was effortless. We were escorted to our room (rarely happens nowadays in any 5 star) and shown how the amenities in the room functioned. The magnificent room with large windows overlooked the falls which were subtly floodlit as the night drew in. The marble bathroom was spotless and luxurious - the shower was the most powerful I have ever experienced - not for everyone I know, but it was the invigoration I was looking for after a long trip from New Jersey. We had a couple of glasses of Bordeaux in the bar before we headed to our 8pm reservation in La Cascade. This restaurant is unreal - tables were beautifully set, candles lit everywhere (candelabra style) and just the right amount of space between tables for privacy. The staff was, in one word - excellent. While most staff were continental, English was fluent in all our dealings. The French sommelier earlier gave me a personal tour of the cellars (one of the largest in Ireland seemingly) and he was of great assistance during the meal with our wine selections. The food was excellent - perfectly sized quantities, full of flavour and presented in a flawless manner. We retired to a large drawingroom with a roaring fire where traditional music was played by a live band - the perfect end to a superb evening. We had breakfast in bed and that too was flawless - it was a delicious Irish breakfast which was set up for us at the large window in our room overlooking the morning falls. Later, our car was brought round to us from the car park, bags placed into the car and we said farewell as we headed to our family for Christmas Eve. The only regret was that we stayed one night.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rodaboda
Reviewed November 5, 2007

My hubby treated me to a romantic 3 day mid week stay when in Ireland without the kids and it was unforgettable.

Restaurant was top class. Service, rooms, spa all fab. We so enjoyed walking and driving in the stunning surrounding countryside and having a few pints in Kenmare itself which is a treat.

They often do Winter/Autumn mid week breaks which are good value - I think my hubby booked ours 2 days before we went after spotting an ad in the Irish Times. Well worth every penny.

Can't wait to return for a leisurely afternoon tea and chill out in the library.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Valdi4
Reviewed September 15, 2007

What a disappointment....an old grand dame hotel desperately in need of an update. From the linens to the carpet to the hotel gym that included equipment that had to be from the 1950's I felt as if I was in a time warp.

THe staff is mostly eastern eurpoean with language issues so service is seriously flawed.

From simple things like no coffee service early in am to just an overall feeling of a hotel that is old "old" and worn out.

And things like phones from the 1970's and a TV that is so old and so small I could barely see the picture....it just seemed like much of the decor and accomdations could be gotten from an old motel on Route 6.

For $400 plus euros a night I would expect so much more.

Luxurious this was night.

The setting is lovely but they are currently building a country club which prohibits walking on one of the nicest walks.

Oscars restaurant is so so and desperate for an update. The main restaurant food is fabulous (with a price that is quite high) but the room is really blah....AND they have flies in the dining room that are lining the windows. I had to move to the center of the dining room.

All in all....A MAJOR disappointment.

Not sure how this is Relaix & Chateau quality.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank mbnewport
Reviewed August 23, 2007

A beautiful 5 star hotel. Expect to pay 5 star prices, but worth the trip. The atmosphere is really peaceful and the amenities are wonderful. The food is excellent. The only area that could use improvement is the wait staff. I think they were a little short staffed, so the wait times were a little longer than a 5 star experience.

There are many activities available at the lodge and take lodge's recommendation and book them before you arrive.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank woodzey
Reviewed August 16, 2007

Stayed here 7 years ago and allways wanted to go back - went back in March and nothing has changed.

Eveything about the Lodge is top class.

Only blot this trip was the food was a little dissapointing and not to the high standards that I expected - though that may be due to what I choose (everyone else was more than happy)

Will be back.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Ramg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Brook Lane Hotel
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney
14 mi away
Aghadoe Heights Hotel & Spa

Been to Sheen Falls Lodge? Share your experiences!