“Great food and great service”

Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation
Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Highly recommend this restaurant for dinner.. Tom Crean Beer was also delicious! Centrally located. Harpist / vocalist playing while we ate, which was a lovely added touch..

Reviewed July 14, 2014

The perfect place to have a nice dinner. They offer the option to have the plates as a main or starter size, what is very convenient if you want to try more than one thing. The food was really very good, the place cozy, staff friendly and very good value for money.
There was soft arp live music at our arrivalaying the same than in regular restaurants, you get an special occasion atmosphere.

1  Thank Nuria P
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

You wait an houre and you will find nearly nothing on the plate. The waitress was quite friendly .................

4  Thank Georg H
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Arriving here very hungry after a day on Skellig Michael, we were not disappointed by the food, the service or the accommodation. It was a really lovely meal, made all the more so by the excellent service, warm welcome and gracious surroundings. We'll be back! (and the choc dessert was to die for..) Well done to all involved...

AileenCreanOB, Owner at Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Hi Terri,
Thanks so much for taking the time to give us such a lovely 5* review, the team work very hard and it's nice to hear words of appreciation from the guests. I remember meeting you and showing you to your room after a stressful drive behind the Kerry tractors and 30mph drivers :-). But lucky you, what fab weather you had for Skellig Michael, such an amazing and magical place. Delighted you were happy with everything. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Aileen

Reviewed July 10, 2014

WARNING: This review is by a lacto-ovo vegetarian (which means I eat eggs and milk products but no other animal, fish, fowl, seafood, meat).

There was a very limited selection for me, so I tried the soup (which was average) and the pasta, which came in a sauce that was like watered down catchup (awful). My wife also had to send back the "lobster" bisque, which had no lobster nor lobster flavor, but which they insisted was made with lobster. The dark soda bread accompanying our soup was burned. My pasta, which was advertised as tortellini but was actually ravioli, was overcooked and strangely very very hot inside and cool outside, similar to microwaved ravioli. As side dishes to both our meals, we were served chips(!), boiled potatoes(!), mashed carrots/sweet potatoes, and shredded red cabbage (which was advertised as beets). There is some atmosphere, if you like pictures of ice (Antarctica). Otherwise the place was noisy and crowded. Romantic? Perhaps if I was dating a disoriented polar bear! Looking around, it seemed that most other folks were enjoying their meals, but I did not and would not recommend it to vegetarians (versus other Kenmare restaurants that have equally limited but much better vegetarian choices on the menu).

5  Thank JimCMarch

Hi JimC,
I think I speak for a lot of chefs/proprietors, I find it quite dishearting after a 12hour day in the kitchen to have to waste my time dealing with your type of review. I find that Tripadvisor empowers people negatively and some people forget what their holiday is about and suddenly become a food critic and cowardly hide behind Tripadvisor, but then I’m probably not allowed to say that according to Tripadvisor rules…… some democracy!!!, the customer can say what they want but our hands are tied.

It’s a pity you didn’t enjoy your evening with us the vast majority do. We are in the hospitality industry; our aim is to please the customer. However, it is difficult to do that when the waiting staff are not informed of a problem in fact when my waitress checked, you did not express any problem. On this occasion our psychic abilities failed us.

Reading your other Kenmare reviews, there was negative comments in every single one of them. You like things your way. I find a holiday is about new experiences and absorbing the culture, food and music of that particular area, sometimes I thing people expect what they get at home and basically want to impose their culture. Funnily enough, it was Wharton’s Chipper that received your 4* accolade, that’s a high protein option chips and mayo but even they got a negative comment – “One suggestion: Don't go right when the restaurant opens. The food has been better when there was already a line of customers. Seemed like the oil was hotter making everything crispier and lighter.

“Quel surprise” the Bookstop Vegetarian Café that received your 5* rating, despite your comment that “I was worried because of the "vegetarian" billing (which sometimes means painfully healthy food)”, coming from a self stated lacto-ovo vegetarian (which means I eat eggs and milk products but no other animal, fish, fowl, seafood, meat).” You were happy to get yeast bread instead of soda - soda bread is the traditional Irish bread --- you are holidaying in Ireland.

I remember your order and the waitress stating that you appeared to be in bad form, so straight away the restaurant is starting in a “no win situation”.
To state in reference to our menu - that “There was a very limited selection for me”, is quite unfair – there is a mango & vegetable salad, feta & beetroot salad, spinach & ricotta tortellini and soup. It’s a pity you didn’t ask the waitress for the vegetarian options of the night (as is stated on the menu). On offer, besides what is on the A la Carte, was a vegetable, lentil nut loaf with a mild curry sauce and/or tomato fondue and Billy’s mixed organic leaves. Also there was a vegan option of Millet & Mung Bean & Vegetable Bake with a Soya & Tofu Topping – for vegetarians we add cheese, both containing a selection of second class protein. We serve beetroot hummus with our homemade breads served with the starters. Our brown bread is treacle bread which makes the crust quite dark and crunchy, (customers actually order it to take away) and the rolls are white yeast, the brown treacle bread was not burnt that’s the way it’s supposed to be. Having holidayed in California where you are living, I found all the bread commercially produced and tasteless. In Ireland every reputable restaurant prides themselves in their house soda bread.

As regards our soup, we have never had a negative comment but then everyone is entitled to their opinion and sometimes people just want things according to their personal tastes which is a tough ask of a chef, especially when you hadn’t booked, hadn’t made any special requests, vegetarian or otherwise. The name of the restaurant is Tom Crean
Fish & Wine, so we don’t specialise in vegetarian but pride ourselves in our vegetarian options – (see other positive vegetarian reviews).

As regards your pasta dish described as tortellini and it was ravioli, your dead right, but hey, we’re not in Italy and what’s in a shape and I do prawn ravioli and it’s circular, so I guess you could say it’s artistic licence. As regards the tomato fondue that is served with the pasta, it is homemade and is not watery. I think you personally like a chunky spicy tomato sauce as mentioned in one of your reviews - “After a couple weeks in Ireland, our cravings turned to anything with more spice in it. “

I am highly insulted that you stated that our tortellini was microwaved – “strangely very very hot inside and cool outside, similar to microwaved ravioli.” Suffice is to say our waiting staff are trained to inform customers the tortellini dish is very hot as it has come from under the grill to brown the parmesan. I have worked in the States and am amazed at the few pristine and/or non existent saucepans in houses.

As regards side dishes, the tortellini is normally served with bread or potatoes but in an effort to make you happy we served French fries, potatoes with dill butter, carrot and butternut squash and braised red cabbage – free gratis. The red cabbage is not advertised as beets – in fact the menu states – “A la Carte mains served with a selection of vegetables and potatoes”.

“There is some atmosphere, if you like pictures of ice (Antarctica). Otherwise the place was noisy and crowded. Romantic? Perhaps if I was dating a disoriented polar bear! Looking around, it seemed that most other folks were enjoying their meals, but I did not and would not recommend it to vegetarians (versus other Kenmare restaurants that have equally limited but much better vegetarian choices on the menu).”
The hint is in the name of the restaurant and the VERY LARGE photograph of my grandfather Tom Crean famous Antarctic explorer in the signs. If you had requested a “romantic” table we could have arranged that. It is high season and if you holiday in Ireland at this time of year expect the restaurants to be crowded. I guess the other people were enjoying their holiday and dining experience. The polar bear would want to be extremely “disorientated” as they are found in the North Pole not in the South Pole.
As regards your comment that Ireland is poor on Goat’s Cheese, obviously you are unaware of St. Tola Goats Cheese (to name but one) which has won numerous awards.
I think I have wasted enough of my time. In future you might consider engaging with the staff in the restaurants and sharing your problems with them and you might leave a happier individual. It’s Ireland of the Welcomes – “Cead Mile Failte”
Aileen Crean O’Brien