“Impressive”

Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation
Ranked #12 of 55 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cork, Ireland
“Impressive”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We shared a wonderful Sunday night meal at Tom Crean's. The atmosphere was relaxed and happy and the service was impeccable. Our hosts went above and beyond to make us feel welcome.
The food was incredible--we all scraped our plates clean!
I couldn't recommend this restaurant enough!

• Visited March 2013
AileenCreanOB, Owner at Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Canada D,
Thanks so much for your excellent review. So glad you all enjoyed your evening. It's great to hear positive comments, makes it all worth while. It's team work, we all pride ourselves in our work and presenting the best quality dishes to our customers and when we get this right, we're all happy.

• Polish first
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
“Delicious Meal”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family had a fantastic meal recently in D'Arcys. The prawns were out of this world. They were cooked to perfection and the accompanying sauce was delicious. We all had fish bar one and everyone was delighted with their choice. I can safely say the presentation, portion size and quality was by far the highest standard we have experienced in a while. The hospitality was warm and welcoming and we even went away home with some of Aileen amazing treacle brown bread. Overall it was a great evening and we will definitely but visiting again.

Dear Joanne H,
Thanks for taking the time to submit such a great review. So glad you all enjoyed your meal and evening in the restaurant. The treacle bread is a big hit, glad we had some left over to give you on the night. Remind the waitress the next time you are in to hide away a piece early in the evening :-),
“Great place to relax”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Came here with my family Wide verity on menu. the family and i enjoyed the food and service. I enjoyed the Tom Crean lager.

Dear Tom H,
Thanks for your review and glad you and your family enjoyed the evening but it wasn't in my restaurant, I don't sell Crean beer. Maybe it was the South Pole Inn in Annascaul, that deserves the credit, this was my grandfather's pub. and is now run by a wonderful woman Eileen Prenderville and her family. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday.
Dublin
“Superb”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Went here with a group of friends for a fantastic evening of culinary delight. The atmosphere was set with a blazing fire in the hearth.
I had the prawn ravioli which was melt in the mouth. My partner had the tropical mango salad which was a nice change to the usual green salad. Having sampled it, the dressing exploded with flavour, the hot chilli and sweet mango complimented each other exquisitely.

For mains I dined on the stuffed leg of duck. The meat just fell off the bone and was cooked to perfection. The aroma of the sauce was divine and it tasted even better. The sculpted duck plate it was served on gave it a nice touch.

Finally the piece de resistance of the evening was the dessert. Being a chocoholic at my core; I went for the Belgian chocolate fondant served with a tuile and vanilla ice-cream
A sponge shell gave way to a liquid chocolate filling which was out of this world!
The cold ice cream went brilliantly with the hot chocolate.
Everyone tried a piece and the phrase
"sex on a spoon" was used which describes it to a tee.
I would travel miles to sample this delicacy again!

Other people had the steak which was juicy and tender, the presentation of the monkfish with its tri-colour was very unique and looked good on the plate.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting kenmare and Ireland
ps we also got to chat to the chef who came out at the end of the evening, she was a warm host and gave us tips and sights for our travels

• Visited November 2012
Dear Khelben,
Thanks for your fantastic review. I'm so happy you all enjoyed your eveing in the restaurant. There's nothing like a roaring fire in this weather. The prawn ravioli was a creation of my late husband and the mango salad is an adapted version of a papaya salad I had in Thailand. I love roast duck and use a selection of spices to make the sauce. I have great fun collecting various plates/dishes from my travels hence the duck plate. I can't take any credit for the dessert, credit due to Iwona my Polish chef, she definitely makes the best chocolate fondant. :-). The steaks come from Charleville and I have been using them since I took back the restaurant in 2009 as the quality is consistently good. The Trio of Monk Fish was a patriotic inspiration and the flavours also work well.
I'm delighted to hear you will recommend us.

I love chatting with people but often I don't have time in the middle of service. It's always good to get the local tips. I travel myself and always chat with the locals to get the best advice.
Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Kenmare and some of my suggestions were useful.
New York City, New York
“Disappointment on our last night in Kenmare”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Came here with my family on our last night in Kenmare after reading reviews here on TripAdvisor.

We started with the tortellini and oysters. The tortellini were good, but the oysters were warm and tasted as if they'd gone bad. When we complained, the waitress told us that the chef had tried the oysters and that we must not have been accustomed to the taste of oysters from the region. We had just had oysters two nights before at another restaurant with absolutely no complaints. Felt it was very poor customer service to come out and make us feel bad for "not liking" the oysters, especially when it wasn't a question of taste in our minds.

For mains I had the sesame encrusted salmon. The salmon was overdone and covered in an overly thick layer of sesame seeds. I scraped most off and proceeded to eat the fish, but didn't think there was anything special about the dish. It was just OK.

The real shock to our meal was at the end. The waitress brought out a plate of three chocolates and as she put them down I noticed that one chocolate had already had a bite taken out of it! If the waitress had been easier to flag down (we spent 30 minutes trying to pay and leave), I would have complained, but at that point we just wanted to be done with this place.

Considering some of the other meals we had in Kenmare, I would really recommend avoiding this place and going elsewhere.

5 Thank A S
AileenCreanOB, Owner at Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear AS
Thanks for taking the time to submit a review on your dining experience in my restaurant however I was quite amazed at the critisism as when I spoke with you and your family you praised everything. I know you did not like the oysters but as explained by the waitress and me, they were delivered that morning, opened to order and served on ice, so how you can say they “were warm and tasted as if they’d gone bad” astounds me. If the oyster s were “gone bad” they would have been open and would have been returned to the supplier with cross words. The waitress was merely telling the truth, I tasted the oysters, in fact we ate them all and they were delicious and I told her they were pacific oysters and delivered that morning and maybe you were used to a different type/flavour. She certainly wasn’t trying to make you feel bad. Did you expect her to tell a lie just to agree with you? I would consider that unprofessional and I pride myself in customer care and staff training. Taste is a very personal thing. I can show you the delivery docket from Star Seafood’s and I’m in a very privileged position in Kenmare to be able to text in my fish order at the end of service and even have deliveries on Sundays. The waitress offered you a choice of other starters which you declined. She checked that you were enjoying your meal during and after your meal and there was unanimous approval and clean plates. The salmon, as stated on the menu has a sesame crust just on top. Having worked as fish chef in the 5* Michelin Park Hotel Kenmare for 7 years, 3 years as chef de partie of the fish section, the fish was not over cooked, however if you had requested it cooked pink it would have been presented this way. There were two salmon served at the table and one chicken and no complaints to the waitress. Again it’s a personal taste; the review immediately prior to you praises the salmon. Your party praised the chocolate fondant to the waitress. As regards the petit fours, they are homemade (as is everything) and one may have looked different from the other as they are piped into paper cases. There is no way the waitress would have brought a half eaten chocolate to your table.
We like our guests to have a leisurely dining experience and it is not our policy to rush guests and only present the bill on request. I spoke with the waitress and she had the bill ready and was waiting for you to ask for it, maybe there was a misunderstanding there. As part of our customer care, I did not charge you for the oysters since you did not like them, which you thanked me for and I gave you a complimentary drink also as it was your last night. You praised my son that had served you earlier and since you were so happy with your evening I actually asked you to write a review for us. So I don’t understand why you said these things as nothing negative was mentioned to me. As a Proprietor and I’m sure I speak for all in the restaurant business, we would much prefer to discuss and deal with any problems on site and have a “win win situation” for everyone, then we’d all go home happy. We all work very hard at our business and our business is to please people and have happy customers, please give us the opportunity to do this in the future before you engage in cyber criticism. Thanking you. Aileen