Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation
Ranked #10 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We visited this restauarant on Friday 30th Nov and from start to finish the food and service were simply superb ... I cannot recommend this restuarant enough and we wil be back !

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Really lovely food,the chef obviously knows what she is doing with the freshest of quality local produce, this place filled up very quickly after we arrived, good to see a busy restaurant full of content and chatty people, a good sign ! We were both very happy with all aspects of the meal plus a complimentary glass of good port after we had paid ! Will definately return. The only minor critisism would be that we felt slightly cramped in the door way to another section but I find many restaurants squeeze just one too many tables in a space. Dont let this put you off a great eating experience.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our first night dining in Kenmare we decided on a sea food restaurant we were happy we did. Arrived and greeted with a smile. Given lovely bread basket while deciding on the menu, order sea food starter and was presently surprised when we were given fresh tasty salad (tasty salad is not common). The food was mouth watering and the banter between the staff and the clients added a fantastic atmosphere.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We usually go elsewhere in Kenmare but decided we'd go somewhere different this time, I'm so glad we did. I now have a new favourite restaurant in Kenmare!

From the moment we walked in we were made to feel special - I must really commend the young waiter that served us Sunday evening last, he had a beard and I would imagine was a college student. We were seated at a lovely place beside the Christmas themed window and had the whole place to ourselves for a while. With nice music to listen to, and various Crean paraphernalia hanging on the walls (I meant to ask actually - are these real or replicas?), it wasn't long before some delicious treacle bread and homemade hommous arrived out.

We went for the early bird menu - great value and glad to see a nice variety, not just the cheap, unwanted food that most restaurants put on for their EBs. I ordered the mussels. Absolutely divine, nicest mussels I've ever had - and presented so well, steaming in a clay pot. The coconut milk it was served in was delicious, I had most of it as a kind of soup it was so nice! And a generous portion too. My partner had the mushroom soup and loved it.

For mains I had the tortellini - again - delicious. Pasta tasted the freshest I've ever had and possibly homemade? The sauce was lovely and not too oily which usually turns my stomach in these type of dishes. My partner had the stuffed chicken - I tried some and it was melt in the mouth.

We were talked into having the chocolate fondant which takes 10 mins to make but was totally worth the wait! Every part of it down to the pastry tuille was heaven. It should be illegal!

I was very impressed with the waiter - he was very observant. He noticed cutlery I had used when I shouldn't have and replaced it. Even down to the bill, I ordered a coke and it was named something else so 'coke' was handwritten beside in case we got confused. He couldn't have been more helpful - hold on to him! I wish we could have tipped more but like all we are feeling the pinch!

Well done all - we frequent Kenmare a lot and will we back again, in fact, I can't wait!

1  Thank opticalillusion69
Reviewed November 11, 2012

VERY average for the LARGE bill we were given at the end of our meal.
Would have been happier going somewhere else.
Wouldn't recommend unless it was 20% cheaper.

2  Thank LeoCork
AileenCreanOB, Owner at Tom Crean Fish & Wine & Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Sorry you considered your "meal only average but would recommend it if it was 20% cheaper" . If you had brought your disatisfaction to the attention of one of the staff we would have done our very best to rectify the situation. We try our best to please all tastes. The menu is displayed outside in the menu box with all the prices, there are no hidden costs and no service charge. Everything is homemade and so requires staff which has to be factured in. As we are a service industry, it is in our best interest to have happy customers so if you have a grevience we would appreciate it if you would bring it to our attention and we would do our utmost to solve the problem. Please don't deny the establishment the opportunity to rectify your problem and hopefully you can leave happy. Perhaps you will give us a second chance and call in the future. I note out of the 8 reviews you have submitted only one received 5*.