“best steak yet !!”

Ranked #22 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 18, 2012

when on holidays in kenmare i wanted to go out as a treat for dinner, we decided to go here as it was in walking distance from where we were staying ! i am so glad that we chose here as i can honestly say that without a doubt i got the nicest steak that i have ever eaten ! cooked to pefection (medium rare) i could of eaten a second one !! if only it didnt take 4 hours to get to kenmare i would be there at least once a week ! i can recomend this to everyone, as you will not be disapointed !! oh and there was live music in the bar as well which really made the night !

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I had lunch here as part of a Vintage Motorcycle Run. While seated for lunch a young manager asked if anyone had some large wrenches as he couldn't change the Guinness gas. "Of all the beers I have to have Guinness" He said getting a little anxious. So I went out to and got all the large spanners I had and a little vise grips also and gave him the lot. I went back to eating the good lunch which I though was a little small. The young manager appeared again a little more stressed this time saying he still couldn’t change the gas and was there anyone with bigger wrenches. So I left my lunch, went to the store, changed the gas and returned to my lunch. When I went to pay the same manager took €4 off the €15 I owed for the rather small lunch. Needless to say if he needs a wrench again I’ll stay put.

2  Thank panorton
Reviewed October 10, 2012

On the first night of a three-night stay in the Brooke Lane Hotel in which Casey's is located, we elected to have a light dinner there. It was a quiet Thursday evening and there were only a few other people there when we went in at 8 p.m. There was a small group having dinner in the dining room onto which Casey's opens. Our server was totally detached as she took and filled our orders. She then disappeared and didn't seem to want to come back. I had to ask the bartender for drink refills. My wife had a small order of mussels and announced that they were among the finest she has ever had. Apparently the local mussels seem to have a particular sweetness about them which was very appealing to her. Who knows how many she would have gotten had she ordered the large as the small was huge in quantity? My fish and chips, by contrast, were only marginally acceptable as the breading separated completely from the fish and the fish itself was tasteless. As a result of this mixed experience I have rated the food only as average.

The high point of the meal was when the GM came over to greet us and chat us up about our trip so far. He undertook to make a booking for us the next night at their sister property, #35, and recommended Packies highly to us for the next.. When he found Packies to be fully booked, he got us a reservation at Wild Garlic for Saturday night.

Although we could still see our server in both the bistro and the restaurant, she never bothered to come back to see if we wanted any dessert or more drinks. Although people could and did receive checks at their tables, I just went up to the bar, signed the check, and left.

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Three of us ate here on a Tuesday night. It was very quite but the bar is lovely & really nicely decorated. We all ordered steak well done. It arrived out & was cooked to perfection. Really the best steak ive had in a long time. €25 for the steak so I was a bit disappointed to see no veg with the dish but the few onions rings went down a treat. I ordered mash but waiter forgot to bring it (steak came with a few chips) & I didn't re-ask as the steak was huge. Staff were nice, not overly friendly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to family & friends.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a hotel restaurant, which we did not realize when we first booked the table. They have a formal dining room, but it seems they only use it when it's crowded. The night we were there, they were only sitting people in the bar, which was a casual, sterile atmosphere. When we first sat down, I thought we had made a big mistake. It would be one thing if we had been staying at the hotel, but with all the charming restaurants in Kenmare and around the Ring of Kerry, this one has NO character -- we felt like we could be anywhere. It was too late to go elsewhere, so we stayed. Fortunately, the food made up for the lack of character. There was a crab salad appetizer that was outstanding and the leg of lamb was delicious!! Beware, the portions are HUGE. My lamb came with mashed potatoes, plus two huge side dishes of "seasonal vegetables." Each one was enough to feed at least two people. On top of this, they brought out some au gratin potatoes as an extra. Two adults could easily share 1-2 appetizers and an entree and have plenty of food. If you're staying at the Brook Lane Hotel, this is a great place to eat if you don't want to stray far. And, if you're not staying at the Brook Lane, this is still a great place to go, just don't expect a cute Irish restaurant.