“Inexplicable disinterest on the part of the server”

Casey's Bar &Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, International, European, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Lafayette, California
“Inexplicable disinterest on the part of the server”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

On the first night of a three-night stay in the Brooke Lane Hotel in which Casey's is located, we elected to have a light dinner there. It was a quiet Thursday evening and there were only a few other people there when we went in at 8 p.m. There was a small group having dinner in the dining room onto which Casey's opens. Our server was totally detached as she took and filled our orders. She then disappeared and didn't seem to want to come back. I had to ask the bartender for drink refills. My wife had a small order of mussels and announced that they were among the finest she has ever had. Apparently the local mussels seem to have a particular sweetness about them which was very appealing to her. Who knows how many she would have gotten had she ordered the large as the small was huge in quantity? My fish and chips, by contrast, were only marginally acceptable as the breading separated completely from the fish and the fish itself was tasteless. As a result of this mixed experience I have rated the food only as average.

The high point of the meal was when the GM came over to greet us and chat us up about our trip so far. He undertook to make a booking for us the next night at their sister property, #35, and recommended Packies highly to us for the next.. When he found Packies to be fully booked, he got us a reservation at Wild Garlic for Saturday night.

Although we could still see our server in both the bistro and the restaurant, she never bothered to come back to see if we wanted any dessert or more drinks. Although people could and did receive checks at their tables, I just went up to the bar, signed the check, and left.

• Visited September 2012

Dublin, Ireland
“Beautiful steak dinner”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Three of us ate here on a Tuesday night. It was very quite but the bar is lovely & really nicely decorated. We all ordered steak well done. It arrived out & was cooked to perfection. Really the best steak ive had in a long time. €25 for the steak so I was a bit disappointed to see no veg with the dish but the few onions rings went down a treat. I ordered mash but waiter forgot to bring it (steak came with a few chips) & I didn't re-ask as the steak was huge. Staff were nice, not overly friendly. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to family & friends.

Seattle, Washington
“Sterile atmosphere, but excellent food”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a hotel restaurant, which we did not realize when we first booked the table. They have a formal dining room, but it seems they only use it when it's crowded. The night we were there, they were only sitting people in the bar, which was a casual, sterile atmosphere. When we first sat down, I thought we had made a big mistake. It would be one thing if we had been staying at the hotel, but with all the charming restaurants in Kenmare and around the Ring of Kerry, this one has NO character -- we felt like we could be anywhere. It was too late to go elsewhere, so we stayed. Fortunately, the food made up for the lack of character. There was a crab salad appetizer that was outstanding and the leg of lamb was delicious!! Beware, the portions are HUGE. My lamb came with mashed potatoes, plus two huge side dishes of "seasonal vegetables." Each one was enough to feed at least two people. On top of this, they brought out some au gratin potatoes as an extra. Two adults could easily share 1-2 appetizers and an entree and have plenty of food. If you're staying at the Brook Lane Hotel, this is a great place to eat if you don't want to stray far. And, if you're not staying at the Brook Lane, this is still a great place to go, just don't expect a cute Irish restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
Cork, Ireland
“Best Steak I've had in awhile!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed in Brook Lane Hotel last week and we ate in Casey's which is the Restaurant/Bar attached to the hotel and really I couldn't speak highly enough of the place. The staff were really nice and friendly which is always a bonus in my book. The menu had a lot to offer and I think no matter what you like to eat you'd find something delicious on here to suit you.

While waiting for our order we were given a selection of breads with a Sun-dried Tomato spread, which was really nice. My Girlfriend had a Pasta dish which she really enjoyed and the portion size was really good too, she found it hard to finish! I ordered the 10oz strip loin steak and I was not let down! It was one of the nicest steaks I've had in quite awhile. It was cooked perfectly and it was very lean, which is the way I love it. (No point paying for big chunks of fat) It came with home made 'rustic' chips and a gorgeous pepper sauce. There were also some veg, but I'm not really a veg person so I didn't really try these, although I'm sure they were lovely too. We topped it off with a selection of home-made ice-creams.

At about 9pm a trio of trad musicians started playing which was fantastic, as they were very good and not amplified. We ended up spending the night drinking red wine and enjoying the trad music, we couldn't have had a better night really.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank James B
Brisbane, Australia
“Delicious food, fantastic service!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We went across to Caseys one cold night when we were in Kenmare in June and had the most delicious meal. We sat at a table near the fire and the service was impeccable. They had live music that started after we ate. It caters to all as there were families, groups and couples in the restaurant as well. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and one of the waiters even recommended a restaurant to go to in Edinburgh as that was where we were heading. Thoroughly recommend!

• Visited June 2012