“Small, cozy and excellent food”
Review of The Horseshoe

The Horseshoe
Ranked #16 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: European, Irish, Steakhouse, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place was recommended by an Irish co-worker of mine and he was spot on! We arrived a little bit early in the evening (5:30ish) and were seated, but it was quite full as the evening went on. It is not a large place (maybe 10 tables?). Server was personable and friendly and the food was most excellent. Husband ordered the fillet of Hake in a cream sauce with veggies and mashed potatoes, while I had the beef "hot pot" (stew) and mashed potatos. My husband ordered several drinks and I ordered the baked rice pudding with blueberry jam and creme anglais. The total bill came to 59 Euros. One of the best meals we had during our travels in Ireland.

There are newer reviews for The Horseshoe

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husbnad and I went here for dinner while we were in Kenmare on vacation. Great cozy spot with great atmosphere. The server was by herself and she was hussling! Everything went well untill close to the end of dinner, no offer to refill our pints, no offer and desert or coffee and we waited 20 minutes for our bill! Maybe she was having a bad day but it runined our night out.

The food was superb. We tried the beef hot pot-amazing and so nice on a dreary day.

It would have gotten a 5 from me if the server would have stayed on her game.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Broiled scallops, haddock, smooth and creamy risotto, beef hot pot, all wonderful! Attractive pub atmosphere with with a great chef in the kitchen!!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

The stuffed, grilled portabella mushrooms with greens, were excellent. Staff was attentive and food was well prepared.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

While looking for someplace to have dinner late one night on my visit to Kenmare, we stumbled into this dark and cozy pub - and I'm glad we did...
This little place is quite unassuming, so I was a little suprised by both the presentation of the meals and how good the food was! The menu has a good selection, from simple fare like burgers and chicken wings to more elaborate mains that include steak, lamb and fish - definitely something for all tastes. It is on the pricier side for pub food - but once you see what they have to offer, it's worth the price! The daily specials, however, do offer great value.
I tried the mussels and fries - they were a tad under-seasoned, but fresh and delicious, as were the home cut fries.
For dessert, I had the rice pudding and was in heaven - seriously the best rice pudding I have ever had! I could recommend this place for the pudding alone ;)
So, if you're wondering where to eat on a night out in Kenmare... make The Horseshoe your first stop!