“if you are a vegetarian do not go here”
Review of Packie's

Packie's
Ranked #3 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Packies, we saved to the last night of our 3rd visit to Kenmare. As I said in my review of the Lime Tree, Gordon Ramsey said its a measure of a restaurant how they cater for vegetarians and in this case I feel they failed me. I ordered taglaitelle with tomato and basil sauce with parmigiano regianno. It was beautifully presented but there was not enough sauce to remotely cover the pasta and very little cheese. I had to ask for more sauce and cheese to try and rescue what turned out to be a very bland and ordinary dish for nearly 13 euros. The vegetables and colconnan served with it were delicious which made the pasta dish seem even more disappointing.The pasta dish was the only vegetarian offering as a main course. My husband had roast monkfish with a garlic and ginger crust with thai dipping sauce which he said wasn't particularly tasty. However all was redeemed by the outstanding deserts, excellent service and delicious breads. The place was bunged on a wet and miserable late September evening so I don't imagine my comments will affect them in any way. It was our experience and I find trip advisor so useful for helping me choose places to eat in and visit that I felt I should share it.

2  Thank duffydollsireland

Reviewed September 23, 2012

A fantastic experience. I was lucky to get a table with no rez but it was early (6 ish) and I promised to be out by 7:30.
Had a great plate of scallops, colcannon and veggies. Colcannon is something that I am going to make at home. Focaccia bread and tapenade were delicious.
Had to pass on dessert but left room for a baileys coffee.
Note that this restaurant is closed Sunday. (Bill for one person was 41 euro including glass of wine)

1  Thank mathladyca49
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Although reservations are recommended we were lucky to walk in just before 6pm and secure a table for two which was available for 90 mins. Just long enough to enjoy a lovely meal . Lobster for hubby and Dover sole for me. Gorgeous ! Would def return . maybe make a booking next time to make sure we get in.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Delicious food with a selection of reasonably to more expensive priced dishes. The house wine (pinot gris) at €20 was very well priced and lovely. Very pleasant staff.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had dinner at Packie's during our recent visit to Kenmare and we all agreed it was the best meal we had during our entire trip. I had the Dover sole and it was fabulous! The wine list is limited but we found this to be the case all over Ireland. The service was great! Make sure you have a reservation because this restaurant is very small and very popular.