“Awful and over-rated!!!”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kenmare
Cork, Ireland
“Awful and over-rated!!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and i stayed in the park hotel for the one night and that was enough. Where to start?? The car park is un kept and messy.When we arrived to our room god we were over whelmed by the smell of must,the room was small and not even close to a 5 star. we decided to have dinner,the canapes we received while we read the menu was a nice touch and we were tasty so we expected a good meal. But it all went down hill, the breads are in miniature loafs but are messy and awkward,which were stale.The starters were presented nicely and was the highlight of our meal,i had the cannaloli and my wife had the crab.we waited 45 minutes - 1 hour for our main course and when we finally got them they were luke warm with only 1 type of veg.We would have sent it back but didnt fancy the waiting,the lemon sole was fresh but was over cooked and the chicken was just boring and bland.we eat out a lot and it this was one of our least favorite meals. Desserts again weren't anything special,the creme Carmel was under set and the opera cake was dry,the petit fours soggy and uneatable. the meal came to €220 for two of us so we were furious,it was not worth that sort of money.The staff were fake and stiff. We went for a swim the next morning and the pool was just amazing,the spa was the highlight of our trip as it was built only a few years ago.Breakfast was good,fast service and plenty of variety. The pancakes with berries,cream and maple syrup were a delight. we visit kenmare a lot as were have old friends here and wont be staying in the park ever again but may book a spa day.Maybe this place was 5 star once upon a time but its no way close to it now.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank timo771

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This hotel is not cheap and at these prices we would have a high level of expectation.We were very much underwhelmed.We made a reservation for a king size bed.My wife and I stayed for three days.We are from Ireland but live in Washington dc and wanted a few days on our own.
On our arrival there was nobody to help with bags from the car.We grabbed our bags and went to the reception.We were met by a pleasant attendant who checked us in and took us to our room.
The first room was small ,dated ,pokey and had a very small bed.We had the feeling that they were taking a chance to see if we would take that small room.We were not going to accept this room so we waited another 10 minutes and were shown to a room where twin beds had been pushed together and I have to say was very uncomfortable.It was a bigger room but still felt small and certainly not clean. Lots of dust on the furniture .The tv which was tiny was on a little side table would have to be turned around if you wanted to watch in bed.patio was nice but you would have to have nice weather to sit out there.bathroom was ok. Shower was in the bath and had to stoop to use it.better showers in the spa.Breakfast was poor. Processed ham on the eggs Benedict . Next morning I had the Irish breakfast and the pudding and tomatoes felt like they were just heated.we had dinner last night we were there and my wife's fish had a real fishy smell off it which should not be the case. My dinner of beef Wellington was very good.Also the owners should look at having a rule put in place that no cell phones are allowed in the dinning room especially for dinner. Loud conversations going on a good few times the night we had dinner.i would only book this hotel if there were no other rooms available in kenmare. Should have stayed at sheen falls as was recommended but wanted to be walking distance to the town.thumbs up for the town. Really nice restaurants and shops there. Good music in most pubs every night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank LauraghKathleen
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Dinner in the Park was to be the highlight of our trip to Kenmare. We had eaten there before, perhaps 15 years before & had high expectations of an exceptional dining experience. But it was not to be. The decor was a tad shabby & the bar could do with a serious makevover. Our dinner was by no means disastrous, in fact my orange mousse dessert was stunning. But overall the food, service & the experience were medicre & did not justify the very high price points. Kenmare has much better to offer - our top three choices were in no particular order the Lime Tree, Tom Creans. & Cupain Tae

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Aileen O
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Recently stayed in a park view room ($500 US aprox./night) with king bed. This property is one if not the most expensive hotels on The Ring of Kerry in Ireland. It is old-school with period furnishings throughout and has a fabulous staff who are willing to make you stay the best. That said -- it is very expensive to be here and you are getting what you pay for. I should say that our room was on the low end of pricing, so there are more deluxe accommodations to be had. While the ground, golf course, restaurant/lounge, spas and setting are top-notch, I feel more can be done in the bedroom to provide a Ritz Carlton experience. The bed was two twins pushed together (to make a king) and made snuggling uncomfortable in the middle. The mattress was very hard, and pillows very thin -- so a good nights sleep was not had by myself and spouse. Also an old-style bedspread was used to wrap up the pillows -- so the bedding could stand to be upgraded (to prevent allergies). We had a nice large porch outside to sit and drink wine and coffee and sideways view of the lake. The indoor period-antique furniture in the room was nice to look at, but uncomfortable to sit on. I ended up bring in my outdoor wicker chair to watch tv and read. You must have dinero to drink in the bar, well cocktails were $15 Euro and up. Pretty high. This was a splurge stay for us, you can beat the location and the town has much to offer in shops, pubs and restaurants.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what your view is when booking a room. There are many steps on 2nd floor even wi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ryla_M
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel has one of the most beautiful views out of all 5 of the hotels i stayed at in Ireland. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful. The Whiskey Bar is fantastic and their Whiskey expert is a fantastic wealth of knowledge. The town of Kenmare it beautiful that the people were the friendlies (if that was possible). Go to the little tea shop on the corner for yummy cakes and tea and definately go to the spa! well worth the money!!!!!!! The town is located right off the Ring of Kerry, definately go and enjoy some of the most majestic views of Ireland.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This a very old fashioned style hotel which I love and I cannot complain rooms where nice but the bathrooms where dated and not great. Its in a lovely location , the food was quite nice not 5 star or anything like it. The service was excellent the bar pretty boring and not much atmosphere.

But apart from all the above the spa was out of this world I have being to lots of great spas and I have to say this is one of favorites its flawless the hot tub the relaxation room, its divine and well worth a trip for this alone. But the prices are still very high esp these days and I feel its not worth the rates they charge.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sharmee
Cookeville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Park Hotel Kenmare was at the tail end of a 10 day west Ireland vacation for myself and another couple. Trip Advisor review prior to travel made me nervous. A call to my agent, Kathi Sheridan advised me to hang with it. Not disappointed at all! Yes it is an old manor house with all the quirks of such, but the service I received was wonderful. The room overlooking the lake. #318 was wonderful.
Bar service was prompt and engaging, staff was quick to offer help and to inquire of our needs.
The grounds are beautiful and the location is the Best in Kenmare. The only complaint was a subpar plate of pancakes one morning. I do wish they had a grab handle when exiting the tub! A quick grab of the towel warmer let me know that was not its purpose!

My three night stay proved to me that my agent was correct in her choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elwood E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kenmare
Sheen Falls Lodge
Parknasilla Resort & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
#15 of 38 in Killarney

Been to Park Hotel Kenmare? Share your experiences!