“Good start on to better things”

The Lime Tree Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 56 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Lime Tree is recognised as Kenmare's landmark restaurant. Housed in a beautiful building dating back to 1832, the food and service continues to win accolades and many new customers. The quality ingredients are sourced locally and then carefully prepared with passion. Fish from the cleanest waters in Europe is delivered daily and lamb is provided by the local farmer. Simple caring preparation ensures tasty food. The service is friendly and efficient with an emphasis on value for money in an informal manner.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Ate in the Lime Tree last night under new chef Michael Casey. We only had dinner there by chance as they were supposed to be only open for a group and the pleasant Manageress said we were welcome to a table. Ordered a lovely deconstructed prawn cocktail with a large handful of fresh prawns and can only say was mouthwatering. We also had rib eye of beef, nicely seasoned and cooked to perfection. Service was excellent and was well managed throughout the nice. For a restaurant not officially opened till Easter weekend this was a great start. We look forward to returning soon.

1  Thank PalCrew
There are newer reviews for The Lime Tree Restaurant

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I attended the re-opening of The Lime Tree last night and all I can say was I thoroughly enjoyed my evening there. I had previously visited this restaurant back in 2012 and must say that it lived up to its great name. From the minute we walked into The Lime Tree we were greeted with a warm welcome. The food was mouth watering,my steak was cooked to perfection! The staff were efficient and friendly without being overbearing. It was a wonderful evening and to top it off we received a glass of champagne on the house courtesy of the restaurant!!

I would like to wish the new owner all the best in the future and there will definitely be a trip back to this lovely restaurant on the cards when we are next in Kenmare!

1  Thank Kirwanao4
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Can I start by saying we ate here last summer and it was superb. Up there with the Tannery in Dungarvan. Super flavours and great friendly service . A real highlight. Tonight was the first night under new chef and management and it was simply poor. Red plastic trays carried food to tables. Servers dipped napkins in food while putting side dishes on tables and the food was bland at best. I had steak and I always have sauce on the side hoping I don't need it. But I did. The steak had no flavour and was not seasoned. Sides were the same. We really couldnt believe it. All from a chef we were told was from a Michelin star restaurant. Really disappointed as we loved it last time. I really hope it improves as I would love to hear it is back to its best but I'll wait to read some good reviews before I risk my money again.

2  Thank CorkTraveller27
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have just had a very disappointing meal at the Lime Tree. Having eaten there in June 2012 and having had a really fantastic meal, we were excited about returning. On arrival we were told that a new chef has taken over the lease and it was the first night of business for him. We were told he worked in the restaurant when it originally opened and had gone on to bigger and better things-one being that he gained a Michelin star for his previous restaurant. Needless to say on hearing ' Michelin star' we were very excited. When the food came out we were very disappointed. It was bland, unseasoned, just generally tasteless. I had hake which was a bit dry and had no sauce or dressing to enhance the flavour. Not even a slice of lemon. It was a very flavorless meal. The veg of steamed broccoli/mangetout and mashed potato were something you would expect from basic pub grub. It's a very long time since something resembling smash was served up to me in a nice restaurant!! The couple behind me sent their food back as they weren't happy with it. This restaurant has a long standing great reputation but if the new chef continues to serve food like tonight's it will be ruined. Maybe it was just first night teething problems but I know we definitely will not be returning. An expensive meal with no flavour. :-(

1  Thank CorkGrainned
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to a wine tasting here during the Kenmare Food Carnival, and enjoyed the place so much we booked dinner reservations. They were highly rated in Rick Steve's guide, and Rick was not wrong. We had appetizers, dinner, dessert, and all were absolutely fabulous. The service was impeccable.