“Poor experience under new management”

The Lime Tree Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 55 Restaurants in Kenmare
Cuisines: Irish, European, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Lime Tree is recognised as Kenmare's landmark restaurant. Housed in a beautiful building dating back to 1832, the food and service continues to win accolades and many new customers. The quality ingredients are sourced locally and then carefully prepared with passion. Fish from the cleanest waters in Europe is delivered daily and lamb is provided by the local farmer. Simple caring preparation ensures tasty food. The service is friendly and efficient with an emphasis on value for money in an informal manner.
Cork
“Poor experience under new management”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I have just had a very disappointing meal at the Lime Tree. Having eaten there in June 2012 and having had a really fantastic meal, we were excited about returning. On arrival we were told that a new chef has taken over the lease and it was the first night of business for him. We were told he worked in the restaurant when it originally opened and had gone on to bigger and better things-one being that he gained a Michelin star for his previous restaurant. Needless to say on hearing ' Michelin star' we were very excited. When the food came out we were very disappointed. It was bland, unseasoned, just generally tasteless. I had hake which was a bit dry and had no sauce or dressing to enhance the flavour. Not even a slice of lemon. It was a very flavorless meal. The veg of steamed broccoli/mangetout and mashed potato were something you would expect from basic pub grub. It's a very long time since something resembling smash was served up to me in a nice restaurant!! The couple behind me sent their food back as they weren't happy with it. This restaurant has a long standing great reputation but if the new chef continues to serve food like tonight's it will be ruined. Maybe it was just first night teething problems but I know we definitely will not be returning. An expensive meal with no flavour. :-(

1 Thank CorkGrainned

Billings, Montana
“Gourmet dining”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to a wine tasting here during the Kenmare Food Carnival, and enjoyed the place so much we booked dinner reservations. They were highly rated in Rick Steve's guide, and Rick was not wrong. We had appetizers, dinner, dessert, and all were absolutely fabulous. The service was impeccable.

Visited July 2012
Denver
“A wonderful, memorable meal”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at the Lime Tree while on our honeymoon in September of 1999. We were originally headed to a nearby restaurant that turned out to look pretty twee and British “clubby” so changed our minds. Stumbled across The Lime Tree and were warmly welcomed and shown to a very nice table immediately. (Being Americans we were well ahead of the rush.) It was one of the most impressive and memorable meals on our trip ‘round Ireland and then Scotland. I said at the time that meal alone was worth the airfare from Denver, Colorado! (I had salmon and my wife had a lamb entree. The chef prepared a special soufflé dessert for us having heard we were on our honeymoon.) All these years later (with lots of miles on the clock and meals under the belt this is still one my wife and I both remember quite vividly .

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank PeripateticPriest
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Tantalizing food in charming cottage”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Conveniently located just off the downtown triangle, The Lime Tree serves fresh, innovatively prepared local products. I thoroughly enjoyed my go-to fillet mignon while my husband relished a regional lamb stew. The served was impeccable and friendly without being cloying. The ambiance was warm while open and modern. We are grateful to our B&B hosts for recommending The Lime Tree and steering us toward with a memorable meal.

• Visited August 2012
Kuwait City, Kuwait
“Great service & food to match”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We arrived without a reservation on a bank holiday weekend, the owner/hostess explained they were fully booked but there was a reserved table available - provided we were done within 90 minutes. She oozed 'service with a smile' throughout the evening, lovely to find but yet so rare.
The waitresses were prompt, nicely groomed and worked at pace. The owner kept a close watch on staff and customers alike - even to come and inform us that we didn't have to rush afterall, as she was able to accommodate the other party!
Menu recommendations were wonderful, they pleased even the pickiest palate among us. Loved it, superb restaurant, great time. Will be back.

• Visited October 2012