“Our wonderful day at the Listowel arms”

and 1 more site!
Listowel Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Listowel
Cork
“Our wonderful day at the Listowel arms”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had our wedding reception and civil ceremony here last October (very slow at doing this) and it was such a perfect day. The staff were so friendly, helpful and made our day everything we could of ever hoped for. Patrice helped us plan our wedding down to all the last details. Everything was perfect, the layout of the function room, the table decorations, all the little touches around the hotel such as the flowers, candles, lanterns. It was so special. The meal was delicious, everyone is still raving about it. I wish I came away with the recipe for the soup. If you are looking for a wedding with a difference then this is the hotel. Our wedding had such an elegant feel about it, vintage place settings, silver cake stand, sweet table and all for a fraction of the cost of some of the bigger hotels charge. The rooms were lovely and we cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: The back rooms have a wonderful view of the river. All have a lovely old world feel to them. The bri...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Nantes
Reviewed October 17, 2013

In Ireland on business last week. Stayed in The Listowel Arms Hotel in County Kerry. I travel a lot and generally stay in hotel chains and I must say this charming old-fashioned family-run establishment was a very pleasant change. Great ambiance, wonderful staff, delicious food and my bedroom and bathroom were quite simply stunning. When things are bad we criticize, when they are good we tend to take them for granted. In my line of work I know the value of positive feedback. So I thought I'd drop you a line. Full marks to The Listowel Arms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bernard G
Regina, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had visited the hotel on more than one occasion. I have particularly great memories of a family birthday party held there. We were seated in the Conservatory area. Our table was set and decorated beautifully, living up to the occasion. We were all more than happy with our meal (the black pudding salad & sticky toffee pudding were my favourites)!!! But it wasn't only a dinner, but an experience to remember. The lovely girls serving us sang "Happy birthday" bringing out desserts, with a candle for the birthday girl, even though none of us had requested that. If you have somebody to celebrate a special occasion with, I can truly recommend this place as the personal hospitality approach will sure make a big difference. The Listowel Arms hotel truly has a unique charm thanks to the character of the building and exceptional friendly, professional team.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We travelled to Listowel for an event and booked 1 night in the hotel. Travelled with children. We got parking in the square but is parking in the back but didnt look 2 safe 2 me. Receptionist was quite nice. Was very helping in telling us places to visit in the town. Rooms very basic and small with a double and a single bed for 80 euro. Room stank of smoke, window locks were not child friendly, an old television in the room but the stations were very hazy, was no iron board/iron. In the bathroom there was a leak when the shower was turned on and water was all over the floor. The corridor floor board were very loose thus making it very noisy for other residents in the hotel . This was All Ireland Final day and i expected a few up to date televisions in the hotel bar , but no, was only a hazy television sitting on the counter at the end of the bar. We went elsewhere.
Later in the evening I ordered 2 sandwiches for the children and was charged 9 euro. I complained to the bar person and was told that is the price 4 a toasted sandwich with a side salad. I was just given the sandwich, not toasted / side salad with it because it was late in the evening= there was not enough staff on board. I asked for the manager- i was told to keep quiet- as soon as i said disgrace she ran to the till and handed me back 3 euro. They really should have their prices displayed. Breakfast was lovely--no complaints.
Wi fi free--- what wi fi couldnt get a signal.
Will i travell there again -- not in a million years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Nuala35
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Full disclosure - I've worked in the hospitality industry for 20+ years so my reviews may be harder than others as I take into account what I would accept from my staff, etc..

I've been staying here for years, most recently in August - one of my favourite hotels in Ireland. Staff is beyond friendly and helpful - from check in, to needing an iron, to the bar staff - I really felt they couldn't do enough for me.

Room was clean and had everything you needed (except the iron and board, but a call to the front desk had one in my room in minutes). The one negative about my room would be the lighting in the bathroom. The bathroom had no window/natural light - the lighting in there was very poor, especially for shaving. I don't know if it was the fixture or the strength of the bulb but you really need better and brighter lighting in the bathroom, full stop.

Food in the bar and restaurant was generous and delicious.

No bother with a late drink as a resident (and your guest) either.

Looking forward to my next trip home and my next stay at the Listowel Arms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SeosamhNYC
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The Arms has an interesting history. The most famous of it's previous owners was the Irish tenor Joseph Locke. The present owners have extended the hotel considerably and there are many function rooms for meetings and local events. The main guest dining room has a superb view of Listowel racecourse. The Hotel is tastefully decorated and reflects the history of the main building, although it could do with a lick of paint here and there. The room I stayed in was to a good standard, although the TV was a little dated and I could not get sound on the BBC news channel. I had breakfast and an evening meal at a function and I was pleased with both. The reception, waiting and barstaff were attentive and polite.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 27 and had a good nights sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Clare
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent two nights at the listowel arms for race week ...our rooms were clean and comfortable with an old world charm. On arrival we were met by very friendly staff who could not have been more helpful despite the hotel being really busy for the races.I would like to compliment the hotel on grt line up of entertainment which helped to create the atmosphere which we have come to expect at the listowel races.Looking forward to the races at the listowel arms in 2014.
M Murphy Clare

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Listowel
Cliff House Hotel
Castle View House Bed and Breakfast
The Tides B&B
The Tides B&B
#2 of 21 in Ballybunion

Been to Listowel Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!