“I highly recommend it!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Peruselva

Peruselva
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Lagunas
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the authentic amazonian rainforest from Yurimaguas off the beaten tourist tracks. An alternative at Iquitos.
Zurich, Switzerland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“I highly recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

My 5 days trip into the "selva"/or jungle was the highlight of my 2 months south american trip!!!
I can highly recommend the agency Huayruro and their guides, all very professionnal and with an amazing knowledge of the jungle!

My guide was Santos and I was very impressed by his knowledge of the wildlife and I had always a good laugh at his anecdotes... I felt safe the whole time (jungle is no small easy business and a professional guide is a must).

Meals were deliciously cooked on-the-spot by Santos and I crossed the jungle on board of a canoe, watched by monkeys, crocodiles, anacondas, sloths and colorfoul birds... For 5 days I felt blessed to watch the busy wildlife from my confortable little boat... under a green canopy and miles away from my stressful daily life...;-)

Visited February 2014

Lima, Peru
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My second trip to Pacaya Samiria..... a wonderfull experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

Last Oct. (2013) I spent 10 days in the Pacaya Samiria National Reserve.
If you have plenty of time you can consider a (32 hours') bus trip from Lima to Tarapoto, if not: take a plane.
From Tarapoto to Yurimaguas take a (shared) taxi.
From Yurimaguas (where you will be met by people of Huayruro Tour, which also have office in the Rio Huallaga Hotel) to Lagunas (entrance of the reserve) you travel on a mixed cargo/passenger vessel, a very relaxed 10 hours' trip lying in your hammock watching the river.
In Lagunas I was welcomed by my guide Dante of Huayruro Tour), who accompanied me on my first trip.
All the Huayruro guides (as far as I know them) are very experienced (they're local and spend their whole live in and around the reserve), but Dante and I got along quite well on my first trip.
The next morning at six begun our trip. You travel in a dugout canoe on small rivers, not accesible for "bigger" vessels. You can help peddling or not, whatever you want.
As you start going downstream for (in my case) the first five days) it is not really necessary, but going back (upstream) I preferred to assist.
Apart from your personnel belongings, the canoe also contains the food and water you need for the whole of your trip.
Talking about food: Dante prepared a wonderfull meal three times a day, using the food we brought, but, more important: the fish he catched once or twice a day!
He really knows how to cook....
You sleep a couple of times in simple lodges and the rest of the time under a mosquito net (a necessity) in simple huts consisting of a platform on poles (abt. 4 by 7 mts), one meter above the ground with a roof of palm leaves, no walls.
Because the matresses offered are quite thin, I brought my own inflatable as well as something (extra) to cover me, because during the second part of the night, believe it or not, it can be quite chilly, depending of the season.....
You travel abt. 6 hours a day, starting early in the morning, to arrive at the next destination for the day.
If you have one, take your binoculars and a camera, because all day you will observe an abundence of birds, monkeys, slots, iguanas, tapir (only saw the footprints), aligators (more at night) and not to forget blue and pink dolphins. There are also supposed to be some jaguars deep down in the park, but I have not seen them.
As the Pacaya Samiria Reserve is almost completely flooded during the rain season and only dries slowly in the months thereafter, you observe nature from your canoe, although near the camping places sometimes lie some trails, allowing to explore nature on foot.
Hiking the Pacaya Samiria Reserve is a more than wonderfull experience. If you want luxury: forget it!
But if you want to undergo the experience of travelling alone with your guide, being part of nature (which also can be a bit unpleasant when on the river in the middle of a tropical rainstorm, with a poncho which appeared to be as "leak as a fishing net"), hearing the sounds of day- and nightime. then the Pacaya Samiria Reserve is something for you!
The guides are very flexible and do what they can to meet with the travellers' requests (of course within the limitations of nature and (few) park rules).

And note that only two or three companies are allowed to enter (deep) into the Pacaya Samiria Reserve.
All other companies, a lot of them operating from Iquitos, will only "touch" the borders of the reserve.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank JanDuine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“unforgettable trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I made a 6 day tour with huayruro tour. I booked the tour in yurimagua which you can also do it in Lagunas. The tour provide food and accommodation. I will suggest to bring a small pillow or/and sleeping bag by yourself for the comfort. The guide is very kind and caring. He is familiar with the jungle and respond to every request, very helpful. Basically, the more days you spend in jungle, the deeper you go, the more types of animals could be seen. So plan sufficient time in advance. The ferry to yurimagua and Iquitos are irregular, out of control of the agency, also for this reason, you need a flexible plan.
Miguel is very helpful and know the jungle pretty well.
The overall experience is unforgettable. You will never regret the choice.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank walkingearth
Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good trip in Pacaya Samiria with Santiago”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

I had a good trip in the Reserve with my guide Santiago. We paddled around the reserve in a dugout canoe and we saw 4-5 types of monkeys, toucans, sloths, andean condor, river dolphins, river otters, and an anaconda snake. He took care of all the supplies for sleeping, and eating and he did all the cooking. I ate many different types of fresh fish. Santiago was excellint at finding the animals in the jungle.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Daniel S
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A peaceful and beautiful way to see the jungle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

My friend and I had a brilliant time on our 4 day tour into the jungle. The guide was very knowledgable (although only spoke Spanish) and showed us as much wildlife as he could in the given time. The accommodation was basic but clean and perfectly adequate. We travelled the same route as others from the same tour company but were often alone on the river, although we spent the evenings as a larger group. Overall a fantastic experience!!!

Visited August 2013